Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is. It occurred again this morning.

Setting Map Speed to s...l...o...w seems to clear the issue up, so long as a slow map is OK with you :)
  2. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Can some please tell why I see so many crazy tracks...the straight lines?
    If I kept the Montana on during a stop it would not to this.
    [​IMG]
    Was on a short run thru West Virgina and the track above was typical during my trip.
    I think it has something to with what dvmvm is reporting in the quote below.
    And if it does did Garmin fix this or do I have something set wrong.

Thanks
    Fred

3. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quite simply put, if you stop the track log recording where you want it to stop, and start it where you want it to start, and save each track log in between, you will not have this issue :)
  4. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This is the behavior I have seen on every Garmin I have owned in the last 15 years if one does not do a Save Current Track and Clear Track for each segment of a trip and/or you move the unit while it is off.

See: http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Applications+-+Track+Manager

Especially second sentence under Current Track.

So: Day 1 or Segment 1, you turn on track logging and Clear Track.
    At end of day or segment, Save Track and Clear Track.

Repeat. If you also turn track logging off until you are actually leaving on each day you will not get these straight lines. (Like if you wanted to use the unit in the Motel to review the next day, for instance.)

I get them all the time when I don't adhere to the above protocol (often), and I just clean up the track and filter it down to a more reasonable number of points in BC before saving it for a future trip to the same place.

Hint: You can create shortcuts to do the above with one keystroke.
  5. AVGeek94

AVGeek94 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just applied 5.00 to my unit, I'll see how it does for me.

Quick question, I have a Mac, and I have to be quick to disconnect the cable when I eject it or it automatically remounts the drives; is there any preference setting to keep it from remounting?
  6. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I use this to stop the disc from remounting after I eject it on my Mac: http://www.javawa.nl/cleaneject_en.html
  7. AVGeek94

AVGeek94 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :doh

Forgot I had installed that already...I hadn't moved it to the Garmin Apps folder in Finder...
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Well, I did a 80 mile run this morning running 5.0 and didn't have any issue. That's running with the map speed set to normal which on 4.9 I still had the problem. Gonna change it to fast and see what happens this afternoon. I just realized I never did a reset after applying 5.0.
  9. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    I have several Garmin units and I have never seen this.

I have a Nuvi 2595 I use for work and make stop and starts all day long and I don't see this.
    I mean the steps you explain above are no big deal looks easy enough but I just don't see it in the other units.
    Boy unless I am just missing something.
    I am just surprised I would miss something like this.

I have to go out later I will take my Nuvi 2595,Zumo 550,60CSx and the Montana.
    I will turn all units on drive to my destination then turn all off and repeat this at all stops and I should see this on all units.....Right?

Anyway thank for the help guys

Fred
  10. iustin

iustin n00b

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I upgraded to 5.00 and went on a short drive (auto navigation profile); the Montana got stuck after losing signal in a long tunnel (map not updating, directions no longer spoken, but the current speed was being updated). Didn't want to power off (while in the cradle). Didn't recover until I reached the destination and took the battery off.

On the way back, it hang again. Not quite in the same spot, and not in a tunnel, but while merging on a highway with many roads closely packed. Same hard hang. In both cases, the track stopped updating.

I don't know if this was specific to 5.00 version, or to the map, location, phase of the moon, but for safety I reverted to 4.90 and did a master reset as well.

Not saying 5.00 is broken, just that I had some bad experience with it. FYI.
  11. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    4.90 will do the same. :)
  12. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I didn't have to pull the battery to clear the hanging on my unit. Just had to exit out of the Map view, then go back and it would be working fine. there were a couple times though when I went back to the map view and it would be tracking about 500 feet off of the road I was riding on. :huh
  13. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:

Ok back from my "test"
    The Montana is the only unit that I have that does what I described above.
    All the other units were turned off and on at the same time.
    All picked the track right where it left off...not the Montana it made the the long track line.

I don't want to wast anyone's time on this but seems to me that this usual way the Garmin units work wouldn't you think I would have seen it by now?
    Also how come I can't see it on my other units during the above test?

I will do some looking around on the net for info on this.
    If you have any links you would like to share please do.

Thanks
    Fred
  14. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had that exact same experience as well.

Our Montana's, they be trippin', yo!
  15. dresda

dresda Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, the Oregon is great for hiking and geocaching, not so wonderful on the bike. Too small and the cable hookup to the bike is too prone to failure.

The Montana OTOH is awesome. The shortcuts are fantastic and it just does so much.

Since I rarely use the autorouting I have NO issues with my Montana. :clap
  16. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So track logging stayed on for the whole test on all units? Nothing else but turning the units off and on after a short interval? I gotta go test this on mine. I don't think mine does this with 4.7. And between which points exactly did the Montana create this long line? Go have a look at all the track points in BC. If you click on one with the box checked for Center on Map it will show up zoomed in with an orange circle....it's easy to step through the track points and see where the unit went nuts, along with the time stamp....presumably just when you turned it back on.

I was apparently confusing this behavior with the one where the unit gets moved miles while turned off and the track is not saved and cleared. Both my old eTrex and the 76C do that.

Tell us which firmware you are using and all the track settings and verify that the track settings were the same on all units. You are completely justified in believing that the Montana SHOULD NOT DO THIS!!:huh
  17. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Yes all I did was turn off the units and then turn on I stayed in my same location during the power off and on.

[​IMG]

In the screen capture above between the long horizontal line between the two State Parks.

Those two points have the following info----
    1 1565 ft 27.8 mi 0:00:01 100106 mph 92.7° true 6/3/2013 11:46:15 AM N37 38.181 W81 26.360
    2 1566 ft 18 ft 0:00:02 6 mph 220.1° true 6/3/2013 11:46:16 AM N37 36.993 W80 55.980
    Look at the speed of #1

Like I said all I am doing is stopping letting the unit go off or turning the unit off.
    Short time later I hop on the bike Montana comes on and that's when it happens.

I understand that when I turn off a GPS then travel to a new location and then turn it on you get a straight line.
    That's not what I am doing.

I doubt I am doing a good job describing this so....I guess maybe a call to Garmin is in order.

Thanks
    Fred
  18. Katze

Katze Full Time Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to decide between the 600, 650, 650t.

The only difference I see is that the 650t comes with downloaded maps. Is that really a big deal?

The 650t is well over $100 more than the 600.

Thanks. Keep in mind I'm an ignorant fool (but learning) when it comes to GPS.
  19. FireDog45

FireDog45 Squirrels get enraged when they see me naked Supporter

Oddometer:
    600 - No camera
    650 - Camera
    650T- Camera and 100k non-routable Topo maps only

With all three you still need to obtain more detailed maps, either Garmins CN or the free Open Source Maps (OSM).

I chose the 600 with CNNA and OSM 24k Topo maps.
  20. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer: