uploading pics w/o computer on the road: how?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CASTIRON, Mar 3, 2008.

1. CASTIRON

CASTIRON Solid, heavy, lo-tech.

Oddometer:
    I'll be on the road for several weeks this summer. I have a Canon G9 and need to upload photos on the SDHC card (came w/ a USB2 mini-reader) to Smugmug. Since I'll be solo, the missus would prefer this be a daily occurance. You do the math on that last bit. :evil

So, I'm looking for ways to accomplish this. I'll be travelling CONUS, but bonus points for methods that work everywhere. I currently don't have any portable devices for this, but am amenable to affordable options.

I will not have a computer. Period. It's outside my logistical envelope, and I prefer it stay that way.
  2. NBeener

NBeener Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may want to consider just using rental time at an Internet cafe. It's pretty amazing how readily found they are in even small towns (maybe EASIER in small towns where computer ownership rates are still lower).

You would just want to buy/carry a cheap card reader to allow you to plug your mem card into IT, and then the card reader into the rental computer.

I've gotten pretty good mileage out of my Palm LifeDrive PDA. The SD cards plug right into it, and it's WiFi enabled, allowing use at any hotspot OR ... if you are bored and don't mind looking like a douchebag ... you can walk around town and try to find somebody's unsecured WiFi.

The latter might be a pretty slow method of uploading photos, particularly if you're using big images.

'Nother method is the now-famous refurbished IBM ThinkPad for $350. It's certainly a bit bulkier, but ..... [edit: couldn'be sure if "I will not have a computer" meant that you were RULING OUT that option, or that you simply didn't have one for this trip....]

Good luck, whatever way you go!
  3. CASTIRON

Oddometer:
    The latest would be a Palm TX. Whatever it is, it'd needs to be able to read SDHC cards or take a USB2 reader to do it. SDHC is NOT backwards compatible, however.

Yeah scrounging libraries, cafe's, and <shudder> free terminals at KOA's is my current plan. I'm not pleased with it except it's cost.

Clarified the laptop issue.
  4. Van Isle

Van Isle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wi-fi enabled SD cards. Shoot in JPEG, hang out near a wifi cafe and turn on your camera. Not only uploads to the network but can upload straight to smugmug.

linky:
  5. CASTIRON

Oddometer:
    Considered and rejected. Great idea, though.
  6. boney

boney Ride > Post

Oddometer:
    A lot of hotels (West Bestern comes to mind) have computers in the lobby that paying guests can use...
  7. CASTIRON

Oddometer:
    I'll be camping. Besides, I've used those virus infested beasts. :cob
  8. Surfer

Surfer Barley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Given the no-laptop and no infested web cafes - you are probably looking for one of these later windows mobile 6 based smartphones -

http://pocketpccentral.net/help/sdhc_devices.htm

Use the wifi when you can, otherwise maybe upload a single picture at the end of the day using the cell network.
  9. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about an ASUS eee PC? It's the solution I'm using. WIFI enabled. No HDD. SD card slot plus 3 USB 2.0 ports. $350 for 4gig Surf model.
  10. Deltakus

Deltakus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a TX. Suck's. I was up grading From my Handspring. Then got Eee PC. The thing rock's!!!!!! Is all I ever need right out of the box!!! Cheap. And does that job! No whistle and bells, or garbage for that mater. Look into it. Get one it is simple. Does the job.
  11. mtlee

mtlee Adventurer-to-be

Oddometer:
    You didn't mention cost, so here's an option that's a little pricey, but I think otherwise fits your constraints:

Get yourself a Palm Treo with Sprint or Verizon's unlimited data plan. The Treo can accept an SD card (not sure about the SDHC, but you can probably find info on that). You can then either e-mail the photos, perhaps use the browser (never tried it), or get an FTP client like this one.

I used this service when going on a roadtrip (via cage, sorry to say) from MN to NH, and got amazing transfer speeds most of the time. My mother-in-law's cabin on a small lake in southern NH had the fastest service of all!

Pros: pretty good coverage, no PC required, pretty good battery life, pretty small, provides phone, e-mail, Internet, and ability to run all kinds of 3rd-party apps (for example, I have an e-reader on mine - great for bringing lots of books along in little space!). Battery life is pretty good, and the phone is easily recharged with a 12V car adapter.

Cons: Internet browsing is pretty dismal on the small screen unless it's a PDA-specific site. Cost - Verizon is $45/month on top of phone service, so it's not a feature for casual use. Transfer rate is better than 56K most places, but not like a high-end broadband connection.

If your camera can make copies of the photos and shrink size/resolution, you'd be able to use this service pretty effectively, I think.
  12. KbdNoOni

KbdNoOni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most modern mid to high-end phones should be able to upload pictures to something like Flickr.
    Something like a Nokia E65 or E51 has Wifi.
    Something like an N82 has Wifi, GPS and a 5MP camera for backup.

What i use though is a NIT (I have an N810 but an N770 or N800 would do just as well). However, you've ruled out computers ;)
  13. CASTIRON

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to stay away from a smartphone plan since it's a two years of fees kind of program. I already have a crappy Nextel issued to me.

An iTouch (if it has this ability) or other small wi-fi device strikes me as my best option, but a little thin in choices.

I might stay on the beg-borrow-steal plan. It's fast, light, and cheap. I already carry a flash drive with my browser for that purpose.

A good wi-fi PDA w/ GPS is still my wet dream. Preferably with expandable memory and user replaceable batteries.
  14. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    iTouch would be nice but it has no native card reading capability. You would need a bluetooth adapter and a bluetooth card reader.

I would look at a Nokia N810 or N800. The 800 is cheaper but doesn't have GPS nor a hardware keyboard.

http://www.nokiausa.com/n810
    http://www.nokiausa.com/n800
  15. mtlee

mtlee Adventurer-to-be

Oddometer:
    Not if you buy a used one on eBay (they seem to be going for about $110). You can probably get Sprint to swap your phone number to the Treo, and you should be able to pay for the data service only for the months that you want it.
  16. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't laugh, but Sony PSPs can store digital images, have built-in WiFi and a good little web browser, and a nice big monitor. It wouldn't take up much room, and the price is down to about $169 now...some looking around can score one for as little as $129. (Might need some extra memory cards if you're shooting a lot of pix, tho.) And if you get bored at the end of a day's ride, you can watch movies, play games, listen to MP3s or internet radio, or even use it to make calls over Skype (would need a headset).
  17. Perp

Perp Museum Piece

Oddometer:
    iPhone
  18. mtlee

mtlee Adventurer-to-be

Oddometer:
    Do PSPs read SD cards? I thought they were the typical 'Sony-only', using memory sticks.
  19. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, memory sticks. About $27 for 2GB and $45 for 4GB from 3rd-party sources. Not as cheap as the standard cards you can get dirt cheap nowadays (Costco rules!), but not terrible. I forgot to mention, but the PSP has a USB port.
  20. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    I don't think a PSP has USB host capability so you couldn't hook up a card reader with that port and have it work.

If he was using a Sony camera, that would be a pretty good option. I still think the 'cleanest' solution is a Nokia handheld since he is using SD cards.