Chain Oilers? Use or Not if so what system

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rotten, Mar 8, 2012.

1. rotten

rotten LOST AGAIN

Oddometer:
    I have noticed that several riders make reference to chain oilers are these suggested or just another gimmick? I have seen the products like scottoiler and Tutoro are there preferences here? Or is this just another way to add oil to the road?
  2. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a scottoiler on my zx9r. I makes a little mess but the chain went 40,000+ miles. The newer o-ring chains need little maintenance and I don't ride as much as I used to, so I've never put on any of my other bikes.
  3. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to have a 1979 Electra Glide. It had an auto oiler of sorts...I had to park it on a cookie baking pan and nobody ever wanted to ride behind me. :wink:
  4. rotten

rotten LOST AGAIN

Oddometer:
    Thats great add engine oil as chain requires!
  5. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My old triumph actually came from the factory with a chain oiler that would drip engine oil out a tube onto the chain. It kinda worked??? The motor blew before the chain went. Oh for the good old days????
  6. rotten

rotten LOST AGAIN

Oddometer:
    LOL was it due to loss of engine oil? Or British design, best parts in the world fall off of Triumphs :D
  7. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    I own the Scottoiler Esystem. It is spectacular. All you have to do with this Esystem is wire it to the battery for power and install the reservoir and tubing.

I have it mounted on my V-Strom. The chain stays clean and lubed with no adjustment needed for a lot of miles. It has a little LCD screen that you mount on the dash and you can control the drip rate of the oil and other parameters.

It is a truly easy to install and use system.

I love it.

Good Luck.
  8. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    My old Sportster XLCH had something similar.
  9. rotten

rotten LOST AGAIN

Oddometer:

Great feedback Thanks! Do you use the proprietary oil or something else 10-30 or ATF?
  10. 10/10ths

Oddometer:
    ...the ScottOiler Oil. Blue in winter, red in summer. They have two weights of oil for different temps.

I really love the eSystem.

Here's the link to the Aerostich Catalog page for the Scottoiler eSystem:

http://www.aerostich.com/scottoiler-esystem.html

Cheers.
  11. Ensey

Ensey KLR Combat Touring

Oddometer:
    WD-40 at the end of each day on a trip............. Otherwise, every couple of gas refills....... 16-20kmiles on a KLR chain
  12. OaklandStrom

OaklandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the vacuum version of the ScottOiler on a 650 Strom.

It was a bitch to hook up, mostly due to the pain of getting to the nipple on the throttle body. Other than that, it's great. I don't deal with chain maintenance very often. I know when I get home from work, and it's raining and cold, the last thing I want to do is oil a chain.

It costs about as much as a set of sprockets and a chain. So if it increases chain life by a significant amount, it's "free". Obviously, it will depend on how many miles you ride.

I mounted it under the seat, and ran the hose down the chain guard. It's barely visible. The container has never leaked oil into my under seat storage area. It's not as trick as the electronic version, but it puts out a drop of oil every minute or so. Flow is user adjustable.
  13. M Singer

M Singer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same set up on my V Strom and love it!
  14. ultrachrome

ultrachrome Poser

Oddometer:
    I'm using the vacuum system Very easy to install. I cut a vacuum line, inserted a T connector and the rest was simple.

Mine's mounted in plain view so I can give it a quick flow adjustment based on the ambient temp. For example, if it's a particularly brisk morning, I'll increase flow by 25% otherwise I keep set to 50%. I don't have the patience to time the drops.

I've had it on for about 3-4 months, commuting daily, and I've only adjusted my chain maybe once.

Yes, there is some oil fling but IMO it's minor. My bike is filthy as it is from riding in the rain. It washes or wipes right off. The best part is that if the chain starts to look a little dirty, a quick wipe with a clean paper towel will make it look new again.
  15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pushing me over the edge. Really. I appreciate it. The simplicity of the Esystem has always outweighed the cost. I've wanted one, but I didn't buy one. I'm one of those riders that just can't be bothered to do the chain maintenance. It's not that big of a deal. I just can't be bothered. "Oh yeah. I forgot. I need to get down there and spend the couple seconds and take care of that. I'll do it next time...." Consequently, it doesn't get done, and my chain/sprockets don't last as long as they should.

Soooooo, I was fully prepared, CC in hand to pay full price. Go to the Scottoiler.com site. Oh, free shipping. Very nice. Poke around a little more. Oh, 10% off when entering V10 in the coupon code at checkout. That seals the deal! Order placed. $251.95 shipped. Couldn't be happier. Can't wait to install and not think about not oiling my chain:lol3:lol3

Thanks again!
  16. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    When you get tired of messing with the Scott try this one.

http://www.pro-oiler.net/

RTW, one chain.
    It works with any oil at any temp.
    Set it and forget it.

bill
  17. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    All of those so overpriced.
    There is a bunch of bikers in UK who making oiler professionally.
    I installed it on 4 bikes including mine and it is perfect. And cheap. And VERY well made. And quite sophisticated too.

Highly recommend.

http://www.pdoiler.co.uk/

works as good as 200 Euro Scottoiler.
  18. sanjaya_sugiarto

sanjaya_sugiarto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I make my own oilers using the primer bulbs from small petrol engines (~$12 new from a mower store) an inline petrol filter (~$2) - add some Tygon tubing (~$10) add some sort of oil bottle ($0) and you are done for < $25.

NO oil on the back tire, no leaking on the floor, just push the bulb to pump a little oil from a bottle into a surge chamber (inline filter) and let it trickle on to the chain. Good for about 100k/tickle.

Yeah, chain oilers work, but most 'automatic' ones dump far too much oil and it gets on the rear tire. Mine keeps the chain lubed for about 20,000k's on < 200ml of oil.

Pete
  20. 10/10ths

Oddometer:
    ..Great!

You will love it. It is soooooooooo easy to install.

The eSystem is a no brainer, worth every penny. It stops the oil flow when you come to a stop, you can set the drops per minute rate, once it is installed, you do NOTHING to it. It just works, with no mess, no muss, no fuss. It's like having a shaft drive without the weight and handling penalty.

Let us know your thoughts after install and usage.

Cheers.