Licensed Riders in your Workplace.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by outlaws justice, May 2, 2012.

1. outlaws justice

outlaws justice On the Fringe

Oddometer:
    Where I work we have 70 poeple who work in the offices and then others who work in the field. I cannot speak for everyone, but of the 70 people who work in the office I know of 24 who are licensed to operate a motorcycle. That is over 1/3 of the people I work with. (Note: not all 28 currently have bikes and some have more than 1, most do not ride to work or only on very nice days)

So how many people at your place of employment, and how many of them ride or are licensed to ride?
  2. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    28 people, 3 riders, plus one who rides as a passenger regularly with her husband. Strangely enough, not the wife of any of the three riders.
  3. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    I dont know of anyone in my workplace.
  4. Kent Glasscock

Kent Glasscock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have around 400 or so employees where I work at but small minority are licensed riders. Even though motorcyclists can park in the building for free. Most of seen down there at one time (when the weather is nice) is maybe 18. There may be more but they just prefer not to ride to work. It happens.
  5. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Zero.

However, everyone knows I ride and are always in a hurry to let me know when the weather is going to change, especially if it's going to rain.....
  6. dbuzz

dbuzz Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    Currently 8 out of about 40 people in our unit ... some days it's a fight for the good parking spot :bluduh

Some own more than one..... Here's a list of current rides of each our staff
    Ducati / Harley (mine)
    Aprilia RSV, Honda blackbird
    Guzzi Breva/ Triumph
    R6
    Harley
    A Postie :D
    several guzzis / couple of beemers in various stages of completeness :lol3
    Dirt bike - not sure what

there are also half a dozen hopeful wannabes as well :D my magazines keep going missing :patch
  7. Conedodger

Conedodger Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    I get the same thing. They are the same ones who cower under the awning in front of the building waiting for the rain to stop so they can get to their cars as I walk out in my rain gear and get on my bike.
  8. Namecheck

Namecheck Like a Sir!

Oddometer:
    I work with about forty people and we have a total of four riders including myself

1 x Sertao (me)
    2.x HD
    1 x Ducati - don't know what it is but it's old and looks expensive as hell
  9. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out of the hundred or so only myself and one other ride on a regular basis.

Scott in Shoreview
    '79 Suzuki GS550
  10. Go Irish75

Go Irish75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    25 employees-- 7 licensed riders, 6 that still own and ride. So not a bad percentage. All except me are fair weather summer only riders though. They think I'm crazy when I show up to work in the rain and any temp under 50 degrees.
  11. Go Irish75

Go Irish75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah, soooooo helpful aren't they?
  12. turnenem

turnenem TBD

Oddometer:
    I have 7 co workers
    5 endorsed riders!

Our rides:
    SV650s DRZ250 KLX(me)
    VSTROM GasGas CRF250x
    KTM 450 exc
    BMW k75 XS650
    DRZ400

Turnenem
  13. BOBF4S

BOBF4S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    19 workers at our place . Free bike parking , cars have to pay to park in the street or at parking garage . No public transportation .9 ride to work in the summer . If it rains or is cold , only 2 or 3 ride . Strangly its the older guys who still ride with a big smile while the young appies come by car in adverse weather .

Of the guys who ride , most have 2 or more bikes .
  14. hrolf

hrolf neophyte

Oddometer:
    Grad students, postdocs, and professors tend to be cheap. We have quite a few ratbikes on campus. One of the postdocs has a monster, and one of the college financial guys has an old r/100... many, many people have scoots and mopeds. Including one 60something italian janitor who rides his in blizzards.

the campus has 19,000 undergrads and ~5,000 grad students and ~8,000 faculty/staff. On any given day, there are probably 30 bikes and 70 scoots on campus.
  15. Griffin44

Griffin44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    139 in my department. About 40 are licenced with about 20 riding regularly. Amongst the three senior managers all are licenced with 2 riding regularly (one Road King and one S1000RR - they look at each other funny when parked side by side but they're friends).
  16. Wuwei

Wuwei Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usually nine or ten at my workplace, but I'm the only rider. In my 30-mile commute I rarely even see another rider. Around here very few riders consider them transportation devices. They are for riding on a nice weekend, or parking in front of the bar or coffee shop while you pose in your leathers, but certainly not for routine transportation.
  17. Laconic

Laconic Old Normal

Oddometer:
    Nine employees at my location, four licensed riders. Three of us are regular commuters, one occasional.
  18. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    I'll count grad students in my department as my workplace...

18 grad students and doctoral candidates. Two of us ride daily, another rides maybe once a week. Yet another has a bike, but I've never seen it.

I'm actually pretty surprised given gas prices, parking permits, lack of parking close to the buildings etc, that more students don't ride. Nearly 18,000 students and I'd bet there are less than 100 bikes on campus at any given time. I know I like being able to park by any bike rack for $25 a year:clap.
  19. Schickmeister

Schickmeister Youngin'

Oddometer:
    I work in a manufacturing plant...of the salaried portion of the plant, I know of 3 (out of about 50).

Of the 300 or so wage folk, I don't know the number, but there's definitely a good bit of chrome out in the lot on nice days.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    there are around 10 riders that I know of out of 150 people. I'm the only year round all weather rider.