DL1000 Injector options

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Spam16v, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    Father called me, injector problem out on the road, hoping he can get back across NY.....

15710-06G00 Fuel injector, going rate $175-200 online. Any other cross reference for another application that might be more readily available? Or someone know of one kicking around? All else fails, we'll bite the bullet, but wondered if there were any other options.

Thanks
    -Zac
  2. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    Actual injector failure is very rare. More typically, the crimp connector attaching the two injectors together corrodes and drops power to one injector. If that is the problem, connecting the yellow wire with a red stripe at each injector to the same color wire at the ECM with an external wire will fix it.
  3. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same comment as GW.

Also, make sure someone does a flow test, a clogged fuel filter will look like a bad injector.

Also, there are companies that specialize in cleaning/refurbing injectors, check that out.

Pete
  4. Spam16v

Oddometer:
    Took it to a dealer & they say it's pouring fuel in & his mileage dropped to 20mpg when it happened. I'll get the bike in my shop and apart, & go from there... Thanks everyone, I'll update.
  5. Mulewright

Mulewright Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer:
    I have 1 good unit that was left over after replacing the pair late last year.
    Yours for $100.oo if you need it. I've got PayPal set up & will USPS it to you the next day.
    BUT... I had the same symptoms with mine that prompted me to replace 'em in the first place.
    Check at the injector for a Switched Ground that fires the injector.... If you find it direct shorted, trace it back to the ECU unit & check the wire at the main box plug to verify weather or not it works there. If it Does, you have a wiring or possibly injector issue.
    If Not (same as at the plug) prepare to eat a ECU.
    That's what I did.... but problem fixed since then.
    I just wish I had troubleshot it better before buying the injector & seals....
    Feel free to P.M. me if I can be of further help! :gerg
  6. Spam16v

Oddometer:
    I have one coming for this friday and going to dig into the wiring harness as i hear random wiring issues similar to what you described. Anything from broken crimps on the power feed, to corrosion at the pcm. Who knows what I'll find and thanks for the offer for assistance, I may end of needing a second opinion of what I find.
  7. Spam16v

Oddometer:
    Injector is in hand, unwrapped the harness splice, looks good. Sending out the original injectors for cleaning/flow test. Will update with findings.
  8. Spam16v

Oddometer:
    New injector pintle is stuck open, bad out of the box, original ones are fine. Sigh, put them back in, swapped back to the original plugs, ran fine for me for 2 days gave it back, father had a cylinder drop out sporadically and sent me a text. 2 hours later called me said the bike is mine, and he bought a Harley... So it's my burden to bear. Putting a plate on it tomorrow and it's time to dig in.
  9. Spam16v

Oddometer:
    Come to find out I guess this bike suffers from the after highway low idle when hot problem stemmed from a worn tps. Bike came with a new TPS from the previous inmate, and my father's driving habits have instigated the problem regularly. I only get a warm up low idle issue when first taking off, but never again. Going to swap in the new TPS sync everything up and go from there.
  10. Mulewright

Mulewright Old Fart/Journeyman

Oddometer:
    O.K., but the TPS will not cause it to "Drop a cyl." like you mentioned in your pm to me...., But as that you have it now, go for it... the money's already been spent & it won't hurt a thing to set TPS & throttle bodies anyway. :thumbup
  11. Spam16v

Oddometer:
    Well, sorry for the delay in updates. There is a 9 page vstrom.info thread on exactly what some people and myself experienced. New tps, setup of the tps properly, idle adjustment, Tb sync, then readjust tps, adjust idle, & resync, then recheck everything again as they all interact a little bit. Off idle tps setting with key on engine off KOEO, and rpm change when the line in the cluster moves up with engine running.

Evidently the TPS can wear tracks on the potentiometer and the computer gets buggy when back to idle after getting poor information for a long period of time. It can be sporadic & hard to track down, but a tps & sync typically will fix it. The fjr uses the same mikuni tps and has a bulletin out but no improvement or update to the part has been made. One will go in my tool kit, & the factory one lasted 44k, I should be all set. Thanks everyone.
  12. Lexjump

Lexjump n00b

Oddometer:
    You still have a fuel injector for sale? I have one stuck open and flooding a cylinder.