Garmin 60csx lost address menu?? Duh?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Toofat2fly, May 30, 2012.

1. Toofat2fly

Toofat2fly Almost ADV

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I got the Garmin 60 Csx to replace the awesome paperweight Garmin GPS-V. I figured out that there really was never a good use for a paperweight on handlebars??? It looks good on garage table though.

So far so good. I took it out the csx and used few times... type in address and bada-bing, I have a route to follow. Works good. Later I used TOPO NE USA or possibly before that map installation something happened with my "address" screen.
    For some strange reason I cannot find the "ADDRESS" menu again!!!

main menu has: tracks, routes highway, setup etc..
    under "routes" i have "saved routes", all 5 of them...
    clicking entre once after routes gives me "select next point"
    clicking enter one more time gives me : waypoints, geocache, cities, exits, recent find, all poi, marine, geographic.

Isnt this the screen where "ADDRESS" is supposed to be??

Any help greatly appreciated, so that I dont have to give CPR to my old GPS-V...
  2. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Sound like you re-loaded the GPS with map data that does not contain searchable/routable information.

When loading map data, you need to include both the new data you want, along with City Navigator, or whatever map data you have that is routable. There are several threads in the GPS forum that can help you load multiple mapsets if you need help.
  3. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    hit the find button, cities , adresses, waypoints......
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect you might have to have City Navigator as the active map if you want to use the Find function, i.e., not Topos or Basemap. And of course you have to have the right CN maps loaded on the machine as noted above.

If you don't know how to change the active map here are some rough instructions.

Navigate to the Map page.
    Hit Menu and select Setup Map and then Enter.
    You will get another map looking page with a map name window at the top.
    If necessary scroll across the top row of icons to the one with a circle with an "I" in it.
    Hit Menu again and scroll down to the Show or Hide various map options
    Select "Show City Navigator" if this option is available and hit Enter.
    (If the option is Hide City Navigator, this means CN is already selected)

Edit. My conjuecture above was wrong. I checked my unit and you get the proper Address menu when you use the Find button as described in the previous post even if City Navigator is not the active map.

But the instructions above are still useful for switching active maps.
  5. Toofat2fly

Toofat2fly Almost ADV

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
    I found no city nagigator inside the "i" button (on screen), I have the CD's, so maybe something happened to the navigator???
    I'll try to reload and lets see what happenens..
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    To get City Navigator maps to the unit on Mapsource you have to use the Map Select Tool which is an irregularly shaped polygon icon.

Then select which maps you want to upload to the unit. There is generally one CN map for each state, but CA has maybe 3. Each map selected will turn light red.

When you are done selecting maps hit the send to unit icon.

This will create a send file and send the data. If you have selected lots of maps it will take quite a while, so you might want to not do too many the first time as a trial.

Warning. This will overwrite whatever maps are in the unit.

When you feel like you have the process down, you will probably want to select as many maps as the unit will hold and send them. You can select maps from different mapsets, eg, CN and Topos.

If you select more than the unit will hold, you will get an error message. There is also a limit of about 2020 map tiles for the 60. This is not as issue with CN but does limit the number of Topo tiles you can send.

I put a 4 G micro SD card in my unit and found I could get nearly all the western state CN and Topo tiles in the 2020 tile limit and it used about 2G. (This took over 3 hours to create and send the files to the unit.)
  7. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sending to the card in a reader is much faster. Does require having a card reader and a micro sD to sD adapter.
  8. bigredcherokee

bigredcherokee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well this answered a question I was about to post. I picked up a used 60csx and it only had a topo for the north east.

A friend and I are riding the TAT in a few weeks and need to have the Find function working with Fuel, Hospital etc.

Few questions I have are can I also have top for the states I'm going ride through? Is there a specific version of CN?

Thanks,
    Nash
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 60 cx with a 4G micro SD card. I was able to put all of CN 2009 plus about 80% of Topos West (for places I might conceivably want to ride) plus the Topos East tiles around the TAT on the card and stay within the limit of about 2100 tiles.

I too found writing directly to the card was faster than writing to the unit. You can put the unit in Disc mode by using the Setup Interface menu.

I have been buying micro SD cards from Radio Shack and the 4G card came with a standard size card reader adapter.
  10. bigredcherokee

bigredcherokee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know cause Im about to pull my hair out trying to get this thing to load correctly. I'm using a 4GB SD card with a card reader as well. We leave on the 29th of this month and I still don't completely understand this unit.