suggestions for a bike good for long distance commuting and urban riding?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by TannerLdJ123, Mar 21, 2015.

1. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    ....Or, how about something completely different?

Zero S or Zero SR with 'power tank". (I started a Zero SR thread about a week ago if you want the details....)

Short summary: Excellent bikes, excellent performance, astounding performance for the SR. This is an ideal commuter bike. Its like an electric Monster.

Zero claims 94 mi highway/125 mixed/185 city. Due to prodigious lane splitting SF-Santa Clara might qualify for mixed and you could maybe squeak by, but range claims can be just that. If you can re-charge for a few hours at work in Santa Clara, then you'd have no trouble at all and be able to ride in the city when you got home before a nightly re-charge. (Do you have a garage?)

If you were considering a KTM 1290 or big oil head BMW (over kill for the commute and the city, and frankly they are a pain in the ass in the city, IMHO) or just spending big bucks on a bike then you are in Zero price territory. But your operating costs on the BMW or KTM will be astronomical compared to most anything else, most especially a Zero. I ran the numbers for a 30 mile commute with a Monster 821 (because a Monster is what the Zero reminds me of) After 4.5 years the Zero cost differential to the Monster pays off, then it is saving $1400 a year - so double that for your SF-Santa Clara jaunt. If you are buying a GS1200 or top line BMW R bike or KTM, you should start saving that money right away.

Belt drive, no clutch, no transmission, no cooling system, no valves, no starter, no oil changes, rarely if ever will wear out brakes (re-gen braking) and it has ABS. You can put a top box on it and it'll be an ideal commuter and city bike. And, they are unique, but more importantly, are fun...they go like stink yet are utterly stealth and completely easy/civil to ride. You also get, I believe, $900 back from the state of California and Zero sometimes has deals on the bikes when they do factory demo rides.

I don't see the reason for a nice bike that isn't perfect for the commute you want to do. The big BMW and KTM's are overkill. They are nice bikes, sure, everyone likes the performance and feel, but the stark reality of that commute is that it sucks, and it requires all of your attention all the time, including in the city. Enjoying a refined bike on that commute like those two is wasted aesthetics, and a potential hazard. Sorry to say it, even if you are on a big bad KTM on that commute you are still a commuting drone, just like the person in the Civic you are lane splitting past.

My contenders: clean smallish used UJM, a mint GS500, comes to mind. Ride the piss out of it for virtually no money. Or, NC700, or NC500 type bikes - pricier, but better suited. Maxi scooter - Burgman 400, Piaggio BV350, Zero S or SR.

This wasn't meant to be a harangue - just that I did that commute for 14 years.
  2. TannerLdJ123

TannerLdJ123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes! It is a brutal commute. Some of the advice here is pointing towards cheaper/beater bikes and kinda chiding me for considering $20k bikes, but honestly if I'm going to spend 3 hours a day on a bike, I want something nice and comfy.

thanks. didn't consider some of these.

yeah, I worry about this. Come on google, where is my self-driving motorcycle :D

my GF has a piaggio MP3. That thing would make a rather good commuter. It is comfortable, fast enough and you don't even need to put your feet down if you learn to hit the lock button quick enough.
  3. TannerLdJ123

Oddometer:
    would love one of these, but the problem is there is no place to charge at work, not even 110V outlets. The building management are bastards. There were some 110V outlets, and people started plugging in their leaves and volts - building management had a shitfit and physically removed the outlets and even roped off the areas anywhere near the former outlets and made them no-parking zones.

And this is a building that was trying to get Leed's certification. Ha. If these F-ers ever put in real EV chargers, I'd run out and buy a tesla and commute with that.

Anyway, just checked the specs - 94 claimed miles with all the optional extra batteries just isn't going to cut it. If Zero's range ratings are anything like EV makers' ratings, this means probably 75 mile, real world. Charging at home would be kinda tough, too.
  4. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your workplace is a bit backwards as far as charging. Bummer.

I also did a Oakland San Jose commute for a bit - on a Piaggio BV250. It was nearly perfect for that...except for the few times when traffic would open up. To stay the fast lane (which I think is the safest for bikes) I had to nearly pin the throttle to get an indicated 82 mph - although 101 rarely allows that sort of speed. While a scooter is a mean commuting machine, for one that gets heavy highway use a 250cc is too small a displacement - which is why I suggested the Piaggio BV350 Burgman 400. However, those sorts of scooters only have a 150 or so mile range.

While I don't envy your commute picking the right bike for that and the city is an interesting problem to solve.
  5. sfrider300

sfrider300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear the Zero won't work, I was about to come back and chime in with that because it's the ideal solution if you can charge at work. With the kind of mileage you'll be doing, you would erase the cost difference between an ebike and a gas bike very quickly.

The mileage estimates provided by Zero and Brammo seem to be pretty accurate, and in the Bay Area you won't lose much range to cold temperatures. An Empulse would work for you if you there was a public charger nearby. Zero will be lower maintenance with the belt drive.

Working the clutch while lane splitting miles and miles, day in and day out, really sucks. If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a way to avoid that.
  6. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    THat's what I'd get....Either a Burg 650 or 400.... Both great commuter machines
  7. Echo1

Echo1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    As much as I hated my KLR it would be a fine commute from hell bike. Sit way up high, tons of fuel capacity, OK fuel mileage, not horrible to ride up to 70 mph (after that it's torture), 45 mins or an hour is fine on the seat, and it's pretty slim for lane splitting. It is a true who cares kind of bike. It's like a blunt but effective machete. Have the doo-hickey mod and be done with it. Like I said, I disliked my KLR but maybe this commute would be apt, sadistic, punishment for it - it's a blunt bike on a brutal commute, maybe a combo that would finally earn the KLR some respect in my book.

One more thing about the miles you'll be racking up on this commute - at least 350 per week, is the weekly chain cleaning. Not a big deal, especially if you are a slob like me, a soaked WD-40 rag, dry and spray, but you'll be dong that about 50 times a year. No center stand either, and unpleasant to do in the gutters of SF if you don't have a garage.
  9. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm out of my knowledge zone here, both on these kinds of bikes and his kind of traffic (thank God!) but what about a FJR with the auto transmission (or is it just clutchless shifting?). Very comfortable for a sport tourer, shaft drive, fantastic reputation. The scooter idea has serious merit, lots of built in storage, auto transmission, and the few I've ridden have been fun.
  10. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the CB500X. Fairly aggressive mixed riding nets a range of over 240miles on regular gas. Commuting is probably much higher. 4 hour comfy. Very nimble at low speeds, yet stable at high speeds. Cruises nice at 75mph, goes 100mph. 2 fingers for the clutch. Good ergo, low seat. Engine has flat torque from just off idle to 8000 rpm. Cheap. Can be had with ABS if so inclined. Adequate fireroad ability as delivered. Long service intervals. High level of customer satisfaction. Honda style reliability. 430lb with 4.5 gallons of fuel.

Downside: Chain. Lacks serious acceleration at higher speeds. Non-adjustable suspension (it does have preload in back) is soft. Close ratio trans. No gear indicator will have you hunting for 7th gear until you get used to cruising at 6000rpm (it doesn't vibrate). Shifting can be a bit notchy until you get used to it.
  11. TannerLdJ123

Oddometer:
    I bet this would be a hoot in the city.

The CB500x doesn't feel wheezy on the highway?

My M900 feels stressed on the highway - really not enjoyable at all above 65mph. It has 78hp/53ft-lb. The 500x only has 46... Then again my ducky is a pretty crude bike and I think the gear ratios are pretty close between gears.

Wish there was a way to rent some of these bikes for a couple days. Eagle rider has an NC700X - I'll probably give that a shot.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I had an RT and it was awesome on the open road but not fun around town.

Maybe a vstrom? A 2012+ 650 with the proper upgraded wind protection and seat is a mileage burner yet lighter for in town. Riding position is standard/sit up and beg comfy. Risers and peg lowering kits avail. Very reliable and easy to run.
  13. oughtsix

oughtsix Reverse Engineer

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for the all around goodness of the FZ6. Some say it is down on torque, but that is just means you have to mind your powerband. Which, by the way, is mighty fun from 8000 to redline, and the engine loves to spin. Plenty of power and comfort for the interstate. Cheap, too, if that's a factor. Gave 2500 for my 04 with 15,000 miles. I wont say its a perfect commuter, but it is a good one, and still has a screaming banshee inside that makes me smile.
  14. McRat

McRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note that both 500X and 700X w/DTC share peak HP of 47HP. Both have flat torque curves. The 500X has 90% full torque from 2500-8500, the 700X has it from 2500-6300. The 700X is 10% heavier though, and holds 0.7 gallons less fuel.

I've has several much more powerful bikes than the 500X. But I don't miss the power as much as I thought I would. It does not struggle at 75 mph (the speed I cruise at) and will accelerate without downshifting. Probably because 75 is also 6000rpm, which is where the power really starts.

That doesn't mean you need to wind it up constantly. It accelerates from 3000 in all gears should you so desire.

If those were my two choices, I'd pick the 500 if I wanted to shift, and the 700 if I wanted the automatic. Mostly because less weight is better in urban riding.
  15. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Remember how stressed a bike feels on the highway isn't always about horsepower, it's about the character of the engine itself.

For example, I have a Ninja 250 and a Ninja 500. At a steady 60mph the 250 just happily purrrs along at 8k rpm (ish I don't remember the exact rpm) Whereas the 500 has this odd thrumming vibration that makes it seem that it doesn't want to rev that high and hold that speed.

In every measure of performance the 500 is better, it's quicker, faster, has more horsepower etc. Yet for every type of riding I like the 250 better.

To be clear I'm not suggesting the Ninja 250 as a California commuter, just that HP numbers themselves don't translate to comfortable highway cruising.
  16. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pulling rank here, you can diss me later in the non-comm bar....

Did this commute for 14 years, on the train, bicycle, the bicycle and the train, and an awful lot on a bike.

You want just about the perfect commute tool here, described above in various guises, anything less will be a bother, a nuisance, a distraction, too big, too costly...there is nothing, and I mean nothing, fun about this commute. Any little not right aspect of the bike will be multiplied many times over.

Someone said FJR, with the electronic clutch. Great bike, but so wrong here. It's like a cabin cruiser on a small stream where you have to portage the canoe (lane splitting analogy).

Monster? I think the OP has one, not sure. No Monster I've ridden (and I've been on this same commute on one) pulls seamlessly from below 3000 rpm...there's not much there, except a little near slip slipping and Ducati engine juddering dance. That will be old very quick on this commute, like by the time you get to Brisbane (insiders distance point).

I suppose a lot of good natured contributors penning their suggestions are lucky to have no idea what a shit ride this is. It's long, it's stop and go, it's slow, the lanes are narrowish, it's sometimes moving at 50, and gasp, sometimes 65, but usually its an average of 25' for a lane splitting bike. There's even a diamond express lane for bikes on parts of it, but that too gets congested, frequently you'll be lane splitting outside of that lane, and there are, while not as bad as some places in the bay area, legions
    of inattentive drivers. Moral of the story, don't send your soldiers into battle with the wrong equipment. I won't even consider this commute anymore.
  17. sfrider300

sfrider300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done the commute a few times -- enough to agree. If you're serious about doing this every day, then don't mess around. What you need is damn near the perfect commuting machine.

I like the 500X suggestion, but I'd probably go with the NC700 with automatic. If these don't suit your non-commuting objectives, then consider living with 2 bikes.

280 is not nearly as bad as 101, but even on 280 you'll have a rough time at both ends of the trip.

I'm intrigued by your challenge, interested to see how you resolve it.
  18. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates

Oddometer:
    Something to consider. I recently sold my R1200GS and picked up the Tiger XRx. I've commuted in LA traffic on a 1st Gen Multistrada, Aprilia Shiver, the GS, and some other assorted bikes. imho the most important criteria are:

- seating position (higher the better so you can see and be seen)
    - light clutch as you'll be using it a lot
    - abs and traction control. Drivers buried in their phones require desperate measures
    - quick handling at slow speeds (which fights against the first one)
    - reasonably narrow

The new Tiger hits all those. It is a quicker handling bike than the GS. You sit a bit lower but still have good visibility. The triple engine is smooth as butter, has reasonable torque across revs, and can get you out of trouble when you need it.

That said, I'd try to do public trans a few days a week if possible. There will be some days where your head just isn't in the game and those are the times that you leave the bike at home. SF and LA traffic are not for the faint of heart of when you're having an off day...
  19. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    i use my tiger 800xc for both long hauls and deep city commuting. the bigger tire lets me clear curbs, the suspension soaks up the crappy road work and detritus, and the riding position is massively comfortable. the new xcx (and xrx) have traction control, which should really help commute warrriors out what with all the crap covering most urban streets...
  20. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    I don't any maxi-scooters have the range to be convenient for such a commute.

I think that's true of most bikes in this thread.

It's the bike, not the power. The only bike I've had with CB500 level of power was the XS500 I started on BITD and it was find cruising at indicated 80MPH. My Versys 650 is fine cruising faster.

I don't think there are great belt or shaft drive choices. I tried to find one here. I ended up taking an F800GT for a demo ride, and really liked it, but based on the fuel economy readout didn't think its tiny fuel tank was gonna work out. YMMV of course.

I'm somewhat interested in the upcoming 2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone (updated with ABS and modern 6-speed). I'm a little concerned about 48hp delivered through a shaft (I shouldn't be, it has traction control!), and leary about going back to bias ply tires. But if I'm still in the market when they get here, might give one a demo ride.

Plenty of good chain-drive choices.

Haven't ridden an NC700X, but I'd read people talk about bumping into the low rev-limiter, and then I saw a dyno plot, and it showed peak power came right before the rev-limiter--making it pretty easy to hit. Yeah I might be able to adapt, but I don't want to. It sounded like the NC750X fixed that shortcoming. But Honda seems to be using us as dumping ground for the 700s and isn't bringing the 750 here. With the 700, some love it, some adapt to it, and for others it just doesn't work out. I'm sure I'd be one of the last two. For me anyway, why bother?