Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    I remember that because my friend had the exact same year boke, and I made the mistake of getting the 125, which had zero guts. Since you seem to know First Blood, watch the scene where he knocks the guy off the bike. They make a footpeg extension that's about a foot long to make it easier for Stallone to pick up without the levers getting damaged. I'm not sure if it was throttle side either, but it might have been done to prevent it from going WOT.

2. jegarh

jegarh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eagle Pass, Tx (the actual edge of the world)
    Last night I mounted a 14T countershaft sprocket. I have Dunlop 606's mounted and the 15T was marginal trying to spin the larger tires. It has made a noticable change in the percieved power. This week end I will try it out on some big climbs and report back to the inmates.
  3. kentnothstine

kentnothstine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same place as the 2008 thread... :rofl
  4. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are in it, lets see some pics.
  5. HeadPoseur

HeadPoseur Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the 606's with a 14t also, makes it so your can really crawl in 1st gear if you want/need to and also makes 2nd gear a little more usable in tight woods (for me) as well as quicker acceleration in all gears. Obvious downside is top speed suffers somewhat and the speedo seems way out of whack now, wondering if anyone with this setup and a GPS could test the accuracy for us. I have seen a 12 O'Clock Labs electronic speedo calibrator (saw it at Wheeling Cycle) that would be able to correct any speedo problems caused by tire and/or sprocket changes. Anyone tried one of these?
  6. jegarh

jegarh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eagle Pass, Tx (the actual edge of the world)
    I have been toying with mounting a Cateye bicycle computer on the front fork leg. It is cheap enough and will give me a very accurate speedometer at least until it gets torn off in the brush. Has anybody tried this? :ear
  7. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:

I have one on my granddaughters TTR50 it works fine great for maintenance intervals I was amazed I could calibrate it to the front tire (13 IIRK) but it works!!!
  8. maverick1

maverick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in the market for a dual sport and was wondering the pros and cons of each bike...XT225 vs XT250.
    I had a DRZ400s but never rode it because I just didn't feel comfortable on the bike, as I'm only 5'7" tall.
    There is a used XT250 on Craigslist with 9,000 miles on it. That seemed like a lot of mileage, is there such thing as too much mileage when buying a used bike?
    When inspecting a used bike, with the XT's is there anything in particular to look for?
    cheers
  9. The Cameraman

The Cameraman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Maverick,

I did over 75,000 miles on an XT250 over 3 1/2 years, without the need for any work on the engine or chassis.

As the 250 doesn't have grease nipples on the suspension linkage and the bike shows signs of off roading, I'd check that area for excess wear.

Other than that it's just the normal points to check that you'd perform on any used bike.

Regards

Reggie
  10. kentnothstine

kentnothstine Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My 250 is at 16k miles. No problems yet. Most of the miles were road miles.
  11. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    I put 7500 miles on my 250 in about 16 months.... It performed flawlessly, and I don't doubt that I could get another 50,000+ EASILY with minimal work.
  12. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put about 7k miles on mine in a year, simply flawless, but when buying a bike i like bikes with very low miles, bought mine with about 300 miles on it, id keep looking for a lower milage one.
  13. kdtrull

kdtrull Alpha Nerd

Oddometer:
    My 2008 had over 10000 miles on it when I traded it off. It still ran like the day I bought it.
  14. maverick1

maverick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I read that the 2013 XT250 is fuel injected.
    Is that a big deal?
    Will it increase the performance at all?
    Pros and cons on the 2013?
    I have test ridden a 2006 and compared to my DRZ400s, what a pleasant surprise.
    Much easier to control when I am able to touch the ground with both feet, lighter easier to toss around and the power was pretty good. It is a confidence builder for sure.
  15. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike you compared it with (2006) must have been a XT225, as the xt250's only came to the US in 2008, the xt225 is lighter then the xt250, so if you are considering a xt250, go check one out,

i now also have a drz400, and yes, the xt250 feels much much lighter then the drz, and much easier to manhandle.
  16. skottt

skottt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far no complaints on the 2013 from me. I have 600 miles on mine now, probably 50/50 mix of street and dirt.

You can compare the specs that Yamaha has published for the 2013, 2010 and 2008 XT250 here: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecscompare_pdf.aspx?ls=sport&mid=574&uid=2151&uid2=1692&showprevmodel=0
  17. maverick1

maverick1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm going to be checking out both an XT225 and 250 in the next few days.
    See if I can feel the difference in weight and power.
  18. Roadrunner

Roadrunner -Negativus Supersonicus-

Oddometer:
    Hooray!

I joined ADV about 3-4 months before this thread was started, and so all this time was hanging around in the XT225 thread.

Thank you Medic-0372, for starting this thread! :D

We just put new tires on my XT-250....Pirelli MT-21 Rally Cross! I'm so glad to get rid of those stock Cheng Sh** tires. :lol3

[​IMG]

And thank you 150ron for letting me know about this thread. I should browse more instead of mostly sticking to my subscribed threads. :thumb

I bought this bike new in '08, and have done some great dirt riding, along with freeway/highway travel, and commuting.

Top speed - 82.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo. All I had was my cellphone camera at the time. :D
  19. Roadrunner

Oddometer:
    I got 6500 miles on my Cheng Sh**s, but I only weigh about 120 pounds. I could have gone a little longer. :lol3

Here I am with the bike when it was brand spanking new;

[​IMG]
  20. Roadrunner

Oddometer:
    Here we are at an '09 Valle Caldera ride (mountains of New Mexico). We stopped at a restaurant. :D

[​IMG]