Go Sportsters

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Bloodweiser, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    Here are some shots of my mostly original 1969 XLCH. It has 19,000 miles and I'm the second owner. This is the second re-paint of its original 'sparkling gold' color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the 'business' end. Its the original Tillotson carb and Farbanks magneto:
    [​IMG]
    skypeace likes this.
  2. Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    This is my all original 1978 XLH, 75th Anniversary Edition:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SPORTSTERS RULE!
  3. trashbox

trashbox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't done this and I don't know the particulars but I read on xlforum that you can somehow (pretty easily) fit vrod calipers on the front of some sportsters.

Here's the thread where I saw this... http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=274658
  4. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Find a used R model. Longer suspension and dual discs.
    Done.
  5. jbc

jbc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 the xr1200r or even more so the XR1200x sounds like it would be a perfect fit for you, just search around a bit as 2012 was the last year for them and they didn't sell well so if you find one in stock this time of year you should be able to strike a good deal
  6. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    Yep, this is what you're looking for. XL1200R, made from 2004-08 with the rubber mount motor. '07-8 were fuel injected and '08 has the larger tank from the Custom instead of the peanut tank.

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  7. TINGLER

TINGLER Swamp lips

Oddometer:
    Changing a bike from forward to mid mount pegs isn't that big of deal. I'd get the 48 and change it. Most people sell the mids cheap since everyone seems to want forwards.

For the rear it is as simple as adding longer shocks. For the front you will need to add longer springs inside the forks themselves. It is not difficult, and with careful planning and a few tools, I would say a complete novice could probably achieve it. Again, you could probably find longer springs for sale where someone swapped out lower ones. You could probably even trade with someone wanting to go lower.

Btw, I have a long pair of rear shocks that I would trade and I would be willing to trade the guts out of my frontend as well....so there. Done.
  8. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    Love this.
  9. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, at the moment I'm trying to decide between getting the Forty Eight, putting mid controls on it, and doing something about the suspension... OR... buying a cheap used 2004+ 883 and rolling my own with a NRHS 1250 kit, head work, peanut tank, paint, etc... Something along the lines of the blue one above., or the one built and posted about here by Kirk the Jerk. There is a certain appeal to the instant gratification of just walking into a store and rolling out on a brand new Forty Eight, but I have been wanting a project bike for a while too, and dollar for dollar I'd get more of what I want for a good bit less if I built my own, I'm sure. For example, I just saw a recent craigslist ad for a 2006 883R with 6000 miles, for $5500. It already has mids and more importantly, a dual disk front brake set-up. For less than $2000 I can build the engine into a pretty strong running unit, change out the seat, tank, bars, and a few other odds and ends and I'd have something more unique and what I want for less. Then again, it would take some work on my part, it wouldn't have a warranty and wouldn't likely be quite as refined as the factory offering. Just need to look into all of the options...

Like I said, lots to research and learn... :ear
  10. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous Ironheads guys.
    What I noticed about both the ironheads is how close you sit to the rear cylinder head. Does it get toasty down there?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. TINGLER

TINGLER Swamp lips

Oddometer:
    Do it. You'll be getting exactly what you want. Sportsters are awesome in that they can be changed dramatically to suite your own wishes. The good thing about a 2006 is that it still has the carb. While it may not be as refined as FI, the carb is much CHEAPER to modify when you are trying out different air filters and exhaust systems. A carb is very easy to modify as well. 2006 is the last year for them, so that is also something you can keep in mind.

I also bought an 883 for the fun of modifying it, and yes that 1250 kit seems to be where it's at. From everything I have learned, a converted 883 should be faster than a factory 1200.

Good luck and have fun.
  12. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I wasn't too concerned about the forward to mid control swap. And the shocks aren't a big deal either. If the front is just springs then that would be a simple fix that I could do when I do the Intiminators or Emulators, or whatever. I wasn't sure if the lowered forks just had the tubes slid down inside more, with shorter springs and spacers, or if the tubes were actually shorter. Damper rod forks are simple enough and I've changed out fork seals and tubes before so the forks aren't a huge concern either, from a work standpoint. I just don't know what they need and/or what is available to do what I want to do.

Just beginning this learning process and trying to get a handle on a lot of things at once....

:ear
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah. me too... Simple and clean. The Forty Eight got me started down the Harley road, but that bike got me to thinking about rolling my own version. He has a lot of details that make that bike nice, but I could do a simpler version fairly easily with commonly available, off the shelf parts., and without breaking the bank.

I may have found this bike here in this thread, but I can't say for sure, so here's a write-up on this bike with more details, if it hasn't already been posted:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19740&highlight=EZXL
  14. davevv

Oddometer:
    Sounds fine except for the asking price on that 883R. That's top dollar here in Dallas and the prices for used Harleys are generally pretty high here. I bought the '04 XL1200R that I posted the picture of six months ago for $4300 and it only had 3750 miles. Looks and runs like a new bike. I missed one that was on CL a year ago that went for $3800. If I was already planning to replace the top end, I definitely wouldn't be paying that kind of money for an 883. Also, the Roadster models generally sell for a little bit less than the other Sportster varieties.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. while I haven't really done a lot of searching, I knew that price was a little on the high side. I wasn't really considering that specific bike at that price. It's at a consignment store so who knows what it could be bought for though. Just throwing it out there because I just happened to see it for sale local to me and was just thinking that if I could find the right deal on one similar that it would make a good starting point if I do decide to build one rather than buy new.

But just out of curiosity, what would be a reasonable, if not great, price for a nice used 883R, or even a 1200R for that matter? I need to get some numbers in my head so if I were to stumble upon a good deal I'll know it when I see it.

Winter's coming so a bike project may be in the air! :D
  16. davevv

Oddometer:
    Depends on the market where you're looking. In Dallas, I would say $4500 or less for an excellent 883R and $5000 or less for a 1200R. People often ask more, but you can buy them fairly regular for those prices. Other Sportster models will be $500 to $1000 higher. With more miles and/or worse condition, subtract accordingly. The same weekend I bought mine, my buddy bought an '03 (solid mount) 1200 with 22k miles for $3000. It's not a Roadster, but is a good solid bike and he rides it all the time. There are good deals to be found on CL, but you have to be patient and at the same time ready to buy instantly when one of those great deals pops up.
  17. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know what you mean about being ready to pounce! I've seen some good deals for other bikes come up on CL and the really good ones don't last long. That's why I want to know what's what with the different models and the general prices. I'm in the Atlanta area, and while it's probably similar to your market, I just need to start watching CL to get a better idea. Thanks for the info. Still undecided which way I'll end up going, but building a good used R is really starting to make a lot of sense from the standpoint of getting what I want for the least $$. Guess I need to start breaking down a parts list and figuring out a rough idea of what it would take to make one what I want it to be. In the mean time though, I still have a lot to learn about these bikes since I have no experience with HD's
  18. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a beautiful bike. First Sporty I rode was an XLCH; just wish the new ones had the same seat arrangement. I occasionally think about making up the mounts to fit one of the older seats on my '07.
  19. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  20. Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:

Yes, it can be toasty in the summer. It feels great in the winter though (if you can get it kick-started).

Worse than the proximity of the rear head to your crotch, is the side mount oil tank of the 1957-78 XLH. It hits you in the thigh when you put your right leg down, and it gets HOT.

I dont know anything about Evos... but I hear they run cooler.