Scooter pics!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Jarvis, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    IMO, they are all step-thru (no fuel tank over seat height) and they all have floorboards instead of foot pegs.

Besides, that Z50 looks to me to have shifter lever and clutch lever just as a motorcycle, not even close to be a scooter.

:fyyff
  2. Hammerspur

Hammerspur Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're ALL considered motorcycles here (RI) for registration purposes, insurance included.
    Anything 49.9cc or under, only driver's license required, but even those required a MC license to operate for a few years.

Well, that's ONE vote... :rofl
  3. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Well let's see. I've owned at least 20 scooters over the years, at least I thought they were scooters. All had a gear shift and clutch lever, even the Vespa 50. Guess now I'll have to say I've never owned a scooter only a bunch of Vespa motorcycles.

4. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure that is not limited to RI but most states. :deal

Who's voting? simple fact is that Z50 is not a scooter, no twist-n-go throttle, no floor board, no step-thru, no underseat storage...
  5. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Does your Vespa 50 have floorboard instead of foot pegs?

Does you scooter all have fuel tanks between the riders legs that are higher than the seat height?

Gear shift on Vespa do not take away their appearance as being scooters.

You can consider Vespa to be whatever you think they are, but that Z50 is not closer to be scooter than a motorcycle. Why would you even consider that? provide some reasons.
  6. Hammerspur

Hammerspur Long timer

Oddometer:
    Feeling a little, 'er, cranky?
  7. seraph

seraph asshole on a scooter

Oddometer:
    Swingarm-mounted engines, guys. That's the biggest thing separating scooters from motorcycles.

Floorboards vs. pegs, displacement, manual vs. auto, all of these exist across all categories and aren't really reliable measures. It's the swingarm-mounted engine.

The Z50 isn't a scooter because it's engine/transmission aren't part of the swingarm (or the entirety of it). It's a very small motorcycle. But it's okay, we scooterists accept small motorcycles, too!
  8. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    lol , its only a pic and a opinion of mine , actualy stock the original seat height is highr than the tank , reason i call it a scooter is , its small and nimble like a scooter , its ok tho i'll now call it a motorbike , australia post here use the ct110 as postie bikes to deliver mail

there a step through , there seat hight is highr than the tank , they have a 3 speed gearbox with clutch leaver on the bars and shifter , they are also classed as scooters , then i seed scooters with masive ride height's ,large cc's , the look like jetski's with wheels , these are called motocycles , auto twist and go , so IMO a bike differs from country to country ,

and besides i just like to show off my lil scooter < or motorbike < or thumper < or pitbike < when infact is a monkey bike :evil
  9. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    That one doesn't work either. There are many old scooters where the engine is not connected to the swing arm.

10. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    Glad you showed it off here. It's a great looking little scoot/pitbike/monkeybike/motorcycle/2 wheeled vehicle.

11. Crossthread

Crossthread Maker of Sharp Stuff

Oddometer:
    Last time I looked, this was a PICTURE thread. :ddog

Give the debate a rest, guys, or take it elsewhere. By Battle Scooter rules the Z-50, and all the rest of the little horizontal thumpers are included as "scooters" and treated as such. Deal with it.

Now... who has PICS to post, eh? :1drink

P.S. that is one gnarly little pitscootmotothumpymonkey bike. Awsome.
  12. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, have to post this!:lol3

True, most have swingarm mounted engines also. But the BURGMAN 650 doesn't and it's considered a scooter!

And yea, I'll try and get a good photo of my Elite 150 to upload. We should try and get more photos coming and make another thread for this disagreement!
  13. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    Point taken on the PICTURE thread.

Here are a few pics from my 1978 trip to Alaska from San Francisco on my Vespa 200 motorcycle, total of 17,000 miles riding around Canada and Alaska. The AlCan was all gravel, mud, and rocks back then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    My ex and my daughter who is now 23 in our Vespa hack. Second pic is my ex going leaving for work on a frosty morning. The motorcycle is a 1963 Douglas 150 which is a Vespa made in England. Original 2 tone paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. hugemoth

Oddometer:
    My friend's 1963 Honda Trail 55 limited edition in chrome finish.
    [​IMG]
  16. Hammerspur

Hammerspur Long timer

Oddometer:
    :bow Finally got all the planets aligned, going to check one out tomorrow morning about 110 mi. distant from where I now sit.

Hopefully will have something (visual) to post then... :dunno
  17. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    1980 Passport

Attached Files:

18. Crossthread

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The first bike I ever bought with my own money was one of these. A 1964(?) Honda 55 with the fancy 'quick change' sprocket system! Picked about fifty tons of Oregon Blue Lake's to pay for it, too! Mine was just red, tho. :shog
  19. Crossthread

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

One of the things I always liked about the design of the older generation Vespa's was the split rim wheels, and the spare tire. Flats were never a problem. You could change a wheel in just a few minutes, and replacing a tube in the flat one was even easier.
    They just don't make 'em like that anymore. :gerg
  20. Crossthread

Oddometer:
    Here's one of mine..

[​IMG]

The Harley is glaring at her. "You took that little yellow slut out for a ride and left me here alone! Just wait 'til I get you out on some lonely road, buster. I'm going to dump oil all over you!" :lol3