Goggles, cat crap and contact lenses?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rvt, Jul 16, 2013.

1. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    Whenever I'm stopped or going slow, my goggles and glasses steam up.
    It's worse with the shoei hornet, because the helmet blocks the foam vents around the goggles. Happens with my cheapo dirt helmet too, but slightly better.

I'm thinking about going with contact lenses. Never tried them before. Any issues trail riding with contacts?

Some cat crap may keep the goggles clear. I bought some, haven't tried it yet.

Have also seen a battery powered little exhaust fan that goes inside the goggles. Might help?

I await you wise words with much anticipation. :freaky
  2. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    Laser eye surgery worked for me - well worth the 5k .

Cat crap helped fogging for sure .

Contacts where a pain - dust and contacts dont mix

Oh - scott quick straps may solve the issue - whip off goggles when stopped or going slow
  3. Roughnut

Roughnut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tried the Scott goggles with the little fan,they sorta worked,made a whirring sound which was a bit strange at first.The biggest problem was the foam around the vents was to open,and let way to much dust in anyway.
  4. Tiggs

Tiggs Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't recommend using Cat Crap on the contact lenses. :D
  5. F_R_E_D

F_R_E_D Lurker

Oddometer:
    +1
  6. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Do you have the goggles that are made for use with glasses? They stand out much further from my cherubic face. :wink:
    Another solution is to get fitter, so you're not Sweating for the Nation by the time you've started the bike; so I'm told, anyway - never been able to put it to the test. :rofl
  7. Rus

Rus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't discount using contact lenses. I've worn them for 30+ years with no health issues. They have been invaluable for activities such as swimming, water-skiing, surfing and hundreds of hours of on & off road riding, including much mud & dust. With off road riding it goes without saying that you need to wear goggles as well.

Some people find them finicky, but that's simply due to a lack of experience wearing and handling them. They are second nature to me, in & out within a minute, no mirrors required, no fuss at all. Even my optometrist is amazed when he watches me handling them!

The main issue to be aware of is to not leave them in for too long a period at a time. They cover your eyes so reduce the eye's ability to absorb oxygen. I tend to wear them for no more than 6 or so hours at a time, and usually only for specific recreational activities. I use my glasses 95% of the time.

My script is in the worst 5% for short sightedness (about -11 in both eyes, plus significant astigmatism). It's so bad I can't have LASIK surgery. I've been wearing contacts since age 15 (now 48) with no issues at all.

My 7 hour ride last Sunday was a perfect example of how much better than glasses they are. I had an early start out through Wisemans Ferry, which was heavily fogged. The visor was constantly wet & of no use, & if I was wearing glasses I literally would not have been able to see as they too would have fogged over. No problem at all with the contacts.

I'd suggest you give them a go. You can buy a small pack of disposables cheaply - may not be exactly your script but will be close enough. If you don't like them, no harm done & revert to your glasses or go LASIK. I'd just hate to see you steered away from an option that has been invaluable to me over hundreds of rides and other activities, by people who I suspect don't really understand or appreciate how & when to use them.

Regards,
    Rus
  8. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Have you tried using goggles with twin lenses, My first pair were Oakley and now just started using a pair of Smith, I don't need glasses but found the goggles NEVER fogged up.
  9. Boo82

Boo82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spec savers do a free contact lense trial. They order in your script, show you how to use them and then get you back in after a week or two and check that they are sitting on your eye properly. They were great when I got mine, although I decided not to use them as the ones I needed just didn't sit right and were uncomfortable, but you may have better luck.
  10. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    I have cat crap. I use it occasionally on my visor when I know the early morning Melbourne commute will be with a cold and fogged up visor.

It lasts about 3 kilometers.

A single application of Fogtech on the other hand lasts a few days, maybe a total of 60kms. Not inexpensive though.
  11. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    . You might have nailed it there. :1drink

. Seems some people suit them, some dont . Reckon I'll give em a go.

. I haven't tried them. Makes sense. I've got two pairs of Progrip gogs to wear out first, but if the price is right...:evil
  12. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Goggles with twin lenses = no more fogging . You can buy the lenses seperate for major brands .
  13. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Progrip do a double lens. They even do a double light sensitive lens but the inner lens scratches really easilly.
    (3212 dble clear, 3235 dble clr light sensitive, 3257 dble orange light sensitive)
  14. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    When I get back home from Northern Woop Woop, I will check out if they fit my gogs. If so, then deal! :deal

Pity about scratching easily. I suppose wiping dust out with a rag does it. Not keen on carrying extra water just to rinse the goggles.

Maybe there are transition contact lenses??? :evil
  15. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    The internal atifog stuff on all double lenses scratches easilly. Just carry a microfibre cloth for the inside. They're basically snow lenses so not designed for dusty conditions

ps DO NOT use rainx etc. antifog stuff on the inside of the progrip light sensitive lenses - it seems to dissolve whatever the coating is and you get instant foggy vision. At least you did 20 years ago when I started using progrip light sensitive lenses. Spit and gentle polish for trailside antifog.....

pps- mid winter / snow trick 101 - rip the foam out of the bottom of your goggles for winter, no more fogging. Leave the top in...persperation drips downward. If thde ride changes and becomes dusty you can easilly run tape across the hole.
  16. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    No dearer than many single lense jobs, around $75 if my memory is correct. I've had no problems with scratches and many a time they've had a glove wiped across them in a moment of blind panic :lol3
  17. southern cross

southern cross WARDY

Oddometer:
    This works 100% as an anti fogging agent. Rub a few drops of washing up liquid CONCENTRATE until it feels warm and seems to be all rubbed off. Works wonders on the bathroom mirror too. Dip your finger in the concentrate and leave an ' invisible " suggestive message for your honey. Mirror steams up and there is your message. :wink::wink:
  18. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    what like "We're out of shit paper don't use your loofa"