Need Helmet Advice

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Pally McGee, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Pally McGee

Pally McGee Mellowed with Age

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about switching to the off-road style helmet. Not sure if that is what it is actually called, but it is the full-face kind the motocrossers use with goggles. My problem is that I wear glasses. Is there a solution for me? Until now, I've worn full-face street helmets and my lastest is a flip-front. I enjoy these helmets very much, but I'd like to have a bit more air circulation, and I'd also enjoy the shade of the visor I think.

Would any of you please be so kind as to guide me a little on this style, and perhaps what you did to overcome the aspect of wearing glasses. Contacts aren't an option for me. Thanks!
  2. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    The Arai XD greats a buy it now recommendation from me. Very pricey, but a great helmet.

Pricey as hell but fills the job of dual sport helmet very nicely.

For hardcore trails I would get a dedicated MX helmet.
  3. AnnieGS

AnnieGS Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer:
    so you finally got a bike? :ear

Can't go wrong with the XD, if'n you have the scratch.
  4. gungnir

gungnir Norse adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just shopping for a new helmet and spent more than an hour at Helmet Harbor trying on what must have been at least fifty helmets of various types and shapes. I wear glasses, and had pretty much decided on a street type full face. But I couldn't find a single one that had a good fit AND would let me put my glasses in without the risk of breaking them. It was either or. Much better luck with the dirt helmets, of which there were several good candidates. You get goggles that are made to fit over glasses. Depending on the size and shape of your frames, regular motocross goggles may also fit fine.
  5. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    It really depends on what type of riding you plan on doing with your helmet.

Some dirt helmet does not offer the same protection as a fullface street helmet on the pavement. Dirt helmets can be noisy as you travel on pavement at higher speed.

If you have to wear glasses in your helmet, find a specific glasses frame to fit within the best fitting helmet for your head, because nothing is more important than protection to your head.

I wear sun glasses in my helmet, I modify my $150 Oakley sun glasses to fit within my helmet.

[​IMG]
  6. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    This implies that you already ride. Why haven't we seen a ride report?

Alright, I'll quit.

Off-road helmets are comfy and cool, but noisy as hell and the visor really catches the wind, especially cross winds and so on. They're just the ticket if you plan to ride slowly and work hard, but less than optimal if you're on the street at high speed for extended periods.

As others have already said, All the google manufacturers have dedicated Over-the-glasses models.

A quick trip to the moto store will reveal all. Feel free to do your own objective research and contribute what you learn, rather than leaching off the collective wisdom of advrider.
  7. Pally McGee

Pally McGee Mellowed with Age

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, Folks. I think I'm going to stick to my full-face street helmets. I think in the long run, my comfort on the open road is important. I have a HJC Symax, and I like it a lot. I also have the standard full-face by HJC. I think I'll stick with them until I can afford a Schuberth or something.
  8. GSPeP

GSPeP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you already have a look at the Arai Tour X ? It has the looks of a motocross helmet, but also has a visor.

Very expensive though ! (Touratech Germany has them for 549,- Euro :eek1 )

[​IMG]