Bandit 1200s rebuild help

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by brockmub, Nov 4, 2012.

1. brockmub

brockmub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure you're right about the HeliBars, I never expected to see something like that on a bike that had been so neglected. Now that I have them adjusted for my fit, I love them! Between those and my grips, I have no buzzing like Bandits are known to do. Still wanting to sort out a lot of little things before I cleanup and repaint them.

I won't be spending a ton of money on the bike, the next thing will probably be carb and cam inspection to make sure it's running smooth. I also don't think that I'll be touring to Newfoundland on it. Even though it's a blast to drive without the fairing, I can't get above 55 for a whole day of riding. That wears me out! Maybe I can find a touring windshield some where over the winter.
  2. brockmub

brockmub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Started thinking about the brackets for my gauges. Would it be completely unadvisable to mount brackets to the bottom of the bolts that hold the risers? I'm thinking of using 1.5" wide aluminum that is 1/8" think. I would cut two of them out of the stuff to look something like this rough sketch (I'm no artist).

[​IMG]

The bracket would almost be completely hidden, it would have some rubber padding from the bottom of the risers and also from the bottom of the gauges. I'd also cut and shape the brackets with my Dremmel cutting tool since I don't have a bandsaw. The gauges would mount right above the headlight but not touch them. Would probably have to put a bit of kink in the brackets to bring them up a bit.

[​IMG]
  3. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Without a doubt, they're HeliBars. Wish I could get some for my Concours. I recall how excellent their customer service was when I bought the bars for my B-12S.
    I should have mentioned that I first noted the cam scoring at about 25,000 miles, in spite of a meticulous break-in and first oil change at 500 miles but, YMMV.
    I tended to go through sprockets and chains fairly frequently but that may have been because it was so much fun to whack that throttle.
  4. brockmub

brockmub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally found a set of levers that fit my bike. A bit smaller and actually the same size as the broken levers. Still trying to wrap up the wiring and the gauge set up.

[​IMG]
  5. mikenj

mikenj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking good! I haven't been able to play with mine lately but did finally get the reg. and plate today! Those levers look nice.