how low do you go?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by heirhead, Nov 15, 2012.

1. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,

SoCal boy here. Ridden in all weather, all. Living in SoCal, not cold for long time period. Wanting to take trip this winter,
    East but do not know how cold I can ride? Any info on how cold that you can ride maybe 4 straight days with big shield, long undies and warm gear but nothing heated. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know we are all different and hot cold tolerances are different, just what you can do without freezing. No more than 70 MPH.

Thanks much,

Heirhead
  2. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'd best be at your pace for comfort.

Have seen riders eat the miles up & be near dead at the end. Others take a bit more time & still up for something when the bike was cooling off at the end. You'll find what works for you. Take a few more breaks & look over your bike as a good reason to get the legs moving. You just may find taking a break better than getting busted.

Good luck
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, this needs to be moved to 'trip planning'(mods will prolly take care of that).

I remember seeing folks back east that ride just about 365. Blizzard conditions, no problem!

At the very least just run over to cycle gear and pickup some basic heated gear and go.

Now, what I would like to see, from looking at your bio, is a ride report & pics from that 4 corners trip OR SoCal to Yellowstone on a Trail 90?
  4. DaveStockwell

DaveStockwell Rock Fodder

Oddometer:
    As a MN boy, I can attest to riding in sub zero temps. Got my license when I turned 16 at the end of Feb too. Long periods of running in the cold can be improved by running slightly thinner oil. For the human aboard, make sure your layers fit close but not tight and that you keep well hydrated. Also, pay close attention to wind gaps around your next and face. A windproof helmet liner like the cyclists use can go a long way to keeping the head warm.

Personally I stop riding when the temps hit the low 40's but that's more due to the risk of ice on the roads rathe than my comfort. Remember, the snowmobilers ride all winter long.

PS: Buy heated clothing. It's Da-Bomb!
  5. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Thanks for your replies.
    Guess I get all geared up and go to the mountains for a couple of days to see how I do.

Thanks again,

Heirhead