Shoei Neotec VS Schuberth C3 - Impressions and Comparo

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Motodisiac, Feb 8, 2012.

1. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I agree. Arai, Shoei, Schuberth build quality products with good features and fit, quality materials. Unfortunately, their higher prices create an umbrella under which other manufacturers raise their prices to near premium levels, creating an illusion of quality that may not be justified.

Testing seems to indicate that many inexpensive helmets will protect you quite well, but what good if it hurts your head or falls apart in your closet?

Since I have fallen off too many times I tend to spend a lot and get what seems to be well made gear, and that makes me feel good. Others may choose a different route.
  2. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    It seems every helmet thread devolves into a cheap v expensive helmet thread. :rolleyes

How about we keep this one to discussions of the Neotec v the C3? M'kay? :wink:
  3. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I have a Shoei head, does that mean the C3 is likely to be a little less comfortable for extended riding?

How does a C3 head differ from a Shoei Neotec head?
  4. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    It's all about trying both on. I actually met a guy this morning that found both comfortable.

D.

5. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/91hcAkADjRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is all I could find
  6. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have tried both........and they both fit pretty good........the Shoei is a little better fit for me........and I have an Arai head?????????

I was really impressed with the Shoei.........I find the quality a little better than the Schuberth, but they are both very nicely built.

The Shoei was 1850grams for a medium on my scale.I did not weigh a Schuberth

I like the buckle set up on the Schuberth better than the d rings.

I am still surprised that the Shoei does not have a dedicated communication system.......that could break the deal for me on the Shoei.

Either helmet is very nice.......I wish I could try the 2 back to back.

It really comes down to the best fit and if you desire a communication system that is integrated into the helmet.

Cheers
  7. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of the big online retailers are offering the standard colors at $584 and the metallics at $598, plus they offer about $30 in store credit for future purchases. Based on that your deal at $565 sounds fine to me. Now the question is, how's the helmet?
  8. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    A hundred bucks to me is a big deal. Perhaps to you it is a drop in a bucket. I guess it comes down to if you can prove the quoted price and if you feel the time invested will be advantages. Good luck if to choose to go forward.
  9. ZumWohl

ZumWohl I got this round

Oddometer:
    I finally got the chance to try out the new Neo today, about 42 degrees F and up to 70 MPH on the road.

The fit is identical to the RF-1000 I'm coming from, but the cheek/jowl/ear area has much better padding. Even the brow was extremely comfortable. As a special note, the clearance between my chin and the chin bar was ample; I tried my best 'jay leno' and could barely touch the chin bar. This should address a common complaint from Multitec users.

I wear eyeglasses, and because of the abundant padding around the ear, even though there is a channel for glasses, I had to remove them to put on and take off the helmet; minor inconvenience.

The interior noise level was stunning; extremely quiet to both wind noise and ambient noise (engine revs, other traffic, etc.) Opening the chin vent increased noise. I ran with the top vent open then closed, and airflow was great with no appreciable increase in wind noise; with the top vent open it sent a jet of cool air directly on top of my scalp - would help when the temp gets warmer. I also had the rear vent open throughout, as I like airflow. I think they could have designed a better rear vent, or vents, to help increase outflow.

My helmet had the chin curtain installed, and I also installed the breath guard. The breath guard is substantially less than the one on the RF-1000, it seemed to make no difference. The chin guard was great in keeping cold air from intruding, but it became a negative at stoplights...the visor would fog almost immediately (bright, dry day). Opening the chin vent delayed the fogging for about 30 seconds; the helmet doesn't exhaust quite as well as the RF-1000, and the chin curtain is the cause. Maybe I'll just remove it. Also, I don't have the enclosed pinlok shield installed yet, I'll cope until the start of next cold season when I'll install it.

The internal sun visor was a huge selling point for me; I would have to switch out dark/clear visors on the RF-1000 daily; a minor pain but the spare visor takes up room in the tank bag. With the Neo's sun visor, all was great! It doesn't come down as far as I'd like (leaves about 3/4" gap between bottom of visor and top of chin guard), but it served its purpose on this sunny day. The slide for deploying the shield operates smoothly but I have to grope for it, until I learn instinctively where it is.

As this is my first experience with modulars, I can't comment on the chin bar release mechanism and operation, other than to say it was flawless and solid, with latching components made of metal (not plastic).

Overall I'm extremely satisfied with the Neotec. Once the warm/hot weather comes I'll have to see if this will cut it (with static airflow, seemed like it would be very warm inside).

First reply will be "too long, didn't read" !!
  10. PanhandleChuck

PanhandleChuck 3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer:
  11. JamesK

JamesK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clarifying this, now it means I'll have to order from EU somewhere, as I hate D-rings.
    What kind of retarded marketing is it to not give people the option to choose the superior type of buckle :puke1
  12. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report RTT.

I have one on order. There were two vendors selling them at the IMS in Charlotte this weekend. My read is that it runs maybe a quarter size larger than the Multitec, which runs larger by nearly a full size than the Syncrotec before it. For reference, since the RF-1000 and the Multi, I can wear a Shoei Large. The Neo large fits like a partially broken in Multi large, so it should still be fine when broken in. Ear ports are slightly smaller. The distance to the chin bar is a good bit farther. Overall shape seems the same. Very plush.

I have previously tried on the C3, and found it harshly finished inside, and less comfortable than the Multitec. I tried on a Nolan N104 this weekend, and couldn't get it off fast enough. A large is probably 3/4 size smaller than the NT or MT. There is more bottom-to-top taper in the EPS liner, which felt like it squeezed the top of my head. The liner fabric is coarsely textured, which I found uncomfortable. The chin bar is closer to your face than either of the Shoeis. I wanted to like the N104, even though the shell is polycarbonate, but it wasn't happenin' for me. YMMV.

HTH; more when I actually get mine and get a chance to ride in it.
  13. JamesK

JamesK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Given that the US Neotec will not have the luxury and utility of the ratchet strap, I'll need to order from someplace in Europe.

Would anyone here be able to recommend a reputable and fairly priced online store in the Eurozone/UK? Preferably one that has English speaking staff and can ship overseas :wink:
  14. JamesK

JamesK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been doing some searches and found this online store in the UK. This place seems to be reputable, can anyone who's done business with these guys please confirm?

http://www.justhelmets.co.uk/index....egory_id=192&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=190

The pricing compared to what you can get the same helmet for in the US is much higher at GBP 470, which translates to the UK price of $748. The only thing that makes this "hurt" a little bit less is that in "my money" this comes to ¥60,000, which is still cheaper than what the Neo will sell for in Japan, when they eventually release them here (with the ratchet buckle).

This really sucks because in the US you can get the Neo for $584, except of course that some retard bureaucrat in the US decided to not approve the ratchet buckle for use in the US (confirmed with RevZilla yesterday).

Just to emphasize how stupid this is I bought my old Nolan N102 in the US back in 2007 with the ratchet buckle...
  15. Jazzzzz

Jazzzzz proof that gravity works

Oddometer:
    any chance the straps can be replaced by themselves and you could just order the ratcheting version as spares from Shoei? I've no idea how the straps are anchored to the interior of the helmet, just trying to come up with ideas to save you the $$ from ordering overseas.
  16. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't blame it on some "bureaucrat." That decision was made by Shoei. Nolans are still sold here with the ratcheting buckle, so it's not a governmental issue, no matter what the good folks at RevZilla have told you. :nono
  17. JamesK

JamesK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jazzzzz, thanks for the suggestion, and believe me I've thought about that too. Unfortunately every helmet I've had before had the straps well and truly riveted in from the factory. Also this would be something you don't want to mess up right :wink:
  18. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Schuberth C3 comes with ratchet in the US.
  19. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    And quite a few people do not like it. It seems like both should be an option :)

D.

20. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't disagree, but think what that would do to either your inventory of an already expensive helmet, or the need to order every helmet a la carte.