Real world KTM 350 EXC impressions?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GravityDT, Apr 25, 2012.

1. mknj671

mknj671 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you already opened up the exhaust and adjusted the TPS find a local dealer to load the XCW map - if no one will touch it send it over to Chip at Munn Racing. After the smog stuff is removed and the XCW map is loaded see what you think, the JD programmer will work but best results would be had using a dyno to tune the bike not just plugging it in with the stock settings.
  2. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I've read (especially over on KTMTalk), installing the XCW map is essentially the same as adjusting the tps to ~.64.

I have the JD jet kit on my bike. I didn't buy it, it was on the bike when I got it.
    ac
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You should convert yours to FI, much better than jets.... :nod
  4. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL

JD Jetting Power Surge 6x.

Better? :deal
  5. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought my used 350EXC it had the Vortex X10 on it. I've had no issues with it and the bike runs well. It also has an FMF Q4. For comparison sake, my buddy has a '14 (since new) 350EXC unmodified, and we rode them back to back. We both agree that my '13 with the Vortex and FMF has slightly better pull off the bottom, mid range and up I'd say is the same. Both have the same gearing. His doesn't seem to have any issues with power or popping or stalling.

I don't believe I would spend money on the aftermarket tuners if the bike was running well. I would NOT buy the Vortex at over 700.00 as I don't believe it's worth the money. That said, mine works fine and I'll leave it on the bike.

Garrett
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
  7. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Nice, man! How many miles you have on that second engine?
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I have ~400 hours on the "bike" (~250+ on second engine)......not sure how many miles......valves in spec at regular interval checks......just clean/change the filters/oil as necessary and ride :1drink :clap
  9. shiskowd

shiskowd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't believe there is a PC-V for my bike (2014 EXC). They just list the SX and XC versions (13-14) that have a different throttle body.
  10. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The name alone adds 2hp! :eek1
  11. shiskowd

shiskowd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found a good deal on a 2nd set of KTM wheels that I want to spoon on a more asphalt friendly set of DOT dual sport tires w/ the stock 14/45 gearing. Off-asphalt will be be mostly longer distance rides on gravel fire roads. Really like the K60 (rear) and TKC80 (front) on the 990 & XRR but this may be overkill on a lightweight 350.

A few that I'm looking at:

K60's - too much tire for a 350?
    D606's - some recommends on this forum
    MT-21's - decent all around but wear quickly on asphalt
    Shinko 244 - surprising good for the price - the XRR tended to tortured them - maybe fine on the 350
    Shinko 705 - looks like a cheaper K60
    TKC80 - too much tire for a 350?

Others?
  12. scudrunner82

scudrunner82 combustion addict

Oddometer:

MotoZ Tractionator IT front tire is King for DS in my opinion. I can't seem to wear mine out. The rear is very good too, but the front is just astounding wear/traction. It gives up little to pure dirt tires.
  13. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any experience re-springing these bikes?

I'm ~250 the way my mama made me and my wife fed me. 275 standing on the bathroom scale in my gear.

I ride NJ woods. Rocks/roots/logs. My pace is lame.

I've given that data to 4 KTM suspension tuners and I got 4 different responses:

1. .50 Front 8.4 Rear
    2. .48 Front 8.8 Rear
    3. .51 Front 8.2 Rear
    4. .49 Front 9.0-11.5 Rear (Progressive)

I took some data with the stock shock as I got it (used).
    Spring Preload: 11mm
    Race Sag: 150mm
    Static Sag: 40mm

Thoughts/Advice?

ac
  14. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    The MotoZ I/T front is a great DOT tire, mine wore well and still has good depth left, but it's missing enough side knobs from the rocks to not be happy.
    I liked to H/T rear too, for the solid terrain stuff; it was great in the rocks, sucked trying to turn in anything remotely soft, and it wore like iron.
    The I/T rear, don't love it; chunked badly the first time in the rocks. Then put in several hundred miles in DS conditions, but it never really left me saying it was a good tire. I guess I just don't really ride intermediate conditions.

I've pretty much given up on DOT tires. If I must run them, I have a stack, but the 350 isn't comfortable enough on pavement that I'm would choose it ove my other options.
  15. kjclark7

kjclark7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say go with the first choice. I'm 245 ish with gear and run the .48/80 combo. Your in the next weight range so .50/84 will be the ticket. Stock valving works good for me. And you know we ride the same harsh stuff.
  16. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 votes.
  17. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:

Way too much sag, bike is gonna turn like a bulldozer. I'm too lazy to pull out my data sheets from my suspension build to give my spring rates, but I do remember my sag was right around 106. Best thing I could suggest is to talk to the PDS people in your area and see who they are using for suspension.

Me, I'd probably go with the dude that suggested the progressive spring in the back. We get no rising rate from suspension linkage, so we have to get it from the spring; that's why KTM gives us an overly complicated PDS (Progressive Damping System) to deal with progressive springs.

PS, I'm not going to defend my position on springs (or oil), I'm just stating my opinion and what works for me.
  18. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the .50s will be good up front. That is what I shot for when I cut my WR springs. I can still bottom those, but there is less travel.

It's the rear that I'm focusing on mostly.

I also want to find a Rekluse...but that seems to be a needle in a haystack 2nd hand.

ac
  19. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I'm having trouble understanding the need for a Rekluse. My 350 has about the best gearbox of any bike I've owned and on hill climbs it's great being able to lock the rear wheel in gear when needed. And also nice to be able to feather the clutch in first gear while doing very slow technical riding.
  20. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That slow technical stuff is the whole point of the Rekluse. The tire never losses traction and the engine never stalls.