Cheap sleeping bag deal $19.99

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by sjc56, Jan 12, 2015.

1. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rated range is -5° to 15°?..... Allow me to express some skepticism.
  3. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    5F or -15C is what it says. At that price, they probably meant 55F.
  4. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    8oz of hollow core fiber is not keeping you warm in 5 degree weather. 55 sure, but not 5.
  5. AdrianB1

AdrianB1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like my +5°C sleeping bag, but for $20 it's still a good deal, I paid $50 for mine (including huge European taxes) and a sleeping bag for 0°C is $100.
  6. InterstateHighway

InterstateHighway Peddling Pete

Oddometer:
    :dealthe advert says "Rating: -15°C/5°F" and if you work it out minus 15 celcius equals 5 farahnheit whether you want to be sceptical or whatever that is the math part and is correct.
    Sue for false advertising if the details are not correct (make them lawyers richer)

seriously though maybe check for a review maybe as it was a $90 sleeping bag now $25 shipped to you how could you go wrong?
  7. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious GO SHOCKS!

Oddometer:
    Did a google shopping search for this sleeping bag, and found nothing but discount, non-specialty and junk retailers selling it for roughly the same price as the link in the OP. So it is a "$90" bag on sale for $25 in basically the same manner that those "$400" suits are perpetually "on sale" at Kohl's for $150.

Additionally, Amazon lists the same specs for the bag, but mentions it to be a 40 degree bag, which is more logical if the lack of loft/fill in the pictures is any indication. That is a far cry from 5 degrees.

http://www.amazon.com/Plixio-Compact-Mummy-Sleeping-Carrying/dp/B00OQQQFVM

Caveat emptor.
  8. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    You get what you pay for often times when it comes to outdoor gear. Even if it was a 90 dollar bag to begin with, that's way too cheap for a sleeping bag
  9. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.

I bought my first 'good' bag this fall, after a friend kept hinting that I needed one. Apparently he knew of these conditions, and was planning on dragging me along for a while. Anyways I shoveled snow, set the tent up, and went to sleep on a 12 degree night. I have a cheaper bag that would have worked, but I doubt I could have hauled it. Size and weight is roughly triple for the same warmth. I have the KLX, not the WRR with trailer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. BootsandPants

BootsandPants Sprayer

Oddometer:
    Why is it sewn through in that weird pattern? Nothing wrong with sewn through, but that pattern makes no sense at all.

Buy nice or buy twice.
  11. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to remember that. Good one.
  12. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's an awesome pic!
  13. mrchristian

mrchristian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure why people even bother with cheapo stuff like this. Not only will it not give any warmth, but the zippers will probably snag and get destroyed after a few uses.

Way better off getting a used down sleeping bag. Got mine (real 15 degree ultralight bag) for $40 from an REI used gear sale, but there are plenty of barely-used ones out there. Have been using it for six or seven years now. Just takes more effort to look.