Turning a Blown out RV into a Global Expedition Vehicle(GXV)

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by bmwktmbill, Dec 9, 2012.

1. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    CONCEPT AND PHILOSOPHY

We haven't the money, so we've got to think.

Sir Ernest Rutherford

"Keep it simple stupid."
    Kelly Johnson(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle)

Occam's Razor(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor).
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate", i.e., "Plurality is not to be posited without necessity

1974 Minnie Winnie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine work is done(360 Dodge engine). Resealed the exhaust manifolds, rebuilt the carb, cleaned and degreased everything, greased the chassis and checked dif and trans(no major leaks). Rebuilt the battery box.

As of yesterday the engine starts(20 deg F.)

Inside is stripped except for table/bed.

Frikkin cold here in northern Wisconsin now. Next step is to rebuild the back wall next and install a wood heater.

The platform in back will remain and morph into a motorcycle hauler and patio.
    The door will be reinstalled and a window will be added to the back wall(hopefully), tail lights, propane tank, spare tire on the deck.

Honestly guys I don't know what I am doing so any ideas are appreciated.
    All I think about is riding my mc in Arizona this Spring.

I tore out the propane 3 burner range, propane Frig, sink and the shitter. The gray water tank remains and I still have the water tank and a 12V pump. I figured solar for lights and battery/computer/cell etc.
    With a deep cycle battery maybe I can pump water to the sink?

Ice cooler in placeof the frig(?) and reinstall the stove for heat and cooking plus a small wood burner for heat. I saved the sink and hope to drain it to the tank so I can legally camp on BLM land out west.
    I have contacted a couple of urethane foamers and they will spray the inside when I am ready for little money.

I am into the Winnie for $700 but it has all new tires. I am hoping to keep costs under a thousand bucks. Thinking wood heat, gravity and solar are my friends(and a little propane).
    bill
    OU812 likes this.
  2. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:
    Subscribed, this ought to be interesting.
    OU812 likes this.
  3. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    And you win!.....a Winnebago!:clap

You are too far, someone just gave me a very nice (and very small) wood stove from a boat all SS, and I am debating installing it in my shop or not. If you have the room, you can DIY pretty nice woodstoves out of an old BBQ tank. Someone even sells them out here for $75.00 or so.

You probably don't need the 3 burner propane stove, a two burners would be enough. I have a couple of them also. Lousy for heating up the space and can even be dangerous. They also create too much moisture inside. There is a little trick to help removing the moisture....a large clay plant pot inverted over the burner. Works well but remember heating with open propane flames.....NOT SAFE, don't fall asleep.:eek1
  4. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, you're making a toy hauler, right? You might want to take some time and study plans plans for them to learn how others have worked it out.
    The challenge with working in the cold, besides the discomfort, is getting glues and caulk to cure and paint to dry properly, as you're no doubt learning.
    Keep us posted.
  5. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you lopped off the back section, make it into a porch that doubles as motorcycle stowage. You can then kick back on your porch when your done riding for the day.:freaky
  6. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Here's a link with instructions to make a wood stove from a propane tank:

http://www.freewoodheat.110mb.com/build your own.html
  7. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Looks like that but made with a 20lbs tank. They were selling them as an "emergency" stove so they did have a flattop to warm up foods or keep the kettle warm.

Something like this....? Smaller than a propane tank. Was cheap to me and my friends have a similar one in their camper van. Cozy...!

[​IMG]

Install stove first and use Winnie as the shop. Keep warm and burn the scraps at the same time.:wink:

Outside air supply for any wood stove in confined spaces!:1drink
  8. Zman1

Zman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a cool project! I applaud your ingenuity. I would not mind having something like that old Minnie to go camping in.

I do have a question though. Why not leave it the way it was and pull a trailer with it? Was there leaking roof issues? Just wondering.

Have fun with the build!!
  9. RustySpokes

RustySpokes Ordinary average guy

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the encouragement. My plan is to leave the back deck on the rig for a mc hauling platform but I will build a bumper/trailer hitch/spare tire carrier as well. I need to fire up the torch and welder for some quick mods to what was.

I plan to leave the rig out west somewhere and return home by motorcycle at the beginning of next summer. The fuel costs of going back and forth in the RV would be hard on my fun money. I have vehicles(Honda CRV) that will get better mpg pulling my trailer.

All plans are easily changed.

For propane heat and cooking the 3 burner stove is a range and has an oven. I was hoping I could use that as a heat source and make a pizza at the same time.

The wood stove is a must for me and it would keep the coffee warm too. I heat my house with wood so I get that mostly.

[​IMG]

I'd like something with a 16-18" firebox so I could handle standard lengths.

http://www.vogelzang.com/browse.cfm/litl-sweetie-(ul-listed)/4,44.html

[​IMG]

It's a budget buster.
    The propane tank conversion is neat looking and would be very compact!!

The roof has been coated and does not leak, one skylight is cracked and needs duct tape or a more sophisticated patch. I'll be doing some asking about construction adhesives/glues and hope for a couple more days above freezing.

Any wood stoves for sale?
    Anyone a solar panel guru?
    I will need electricity for LED lights, computer charger/ cell phone and AA battery charging...the usual suspects.

I have been camping off my motorcycle for 50 years so this is real luxury for me but my needs are not great in terms of lighting. I am used to reading and writing with a headlamp.

Thanks again,

bill
  11. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I was wondering what was to be with your project. I'm thinking of doing something similar. I'm starting the other way though. I think I've found a decent Hino Cube van with a 3.8 diesel in it. I plan on using it as a toy hauler and adding some creature comforts. I should be able to salvage RV appliances from older units.

I like the wood heat idea. That could be toasty, even in the winter. One more thing for "The List".

I also though about picking up a 51' van body trailer. They sell for around 2500 at auction and would provide a lot of space. Can't really park them in too many places though. I would just rent a single axle day cab when I needed to move it.
  12. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Deeds,
    A nice vehicle I'd kill for, unfortunately I'm on a budget...mission...quest.
    good luck.
    bill
  13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Ghostyman

Ghostyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bad-ass. I really like the chopped back, that opens up all kinds of possibilities.

I've got a '73 Dodge Tradesman van I'm using for similar purposes. Same engine and it looks like the same chassis.

For a good sealing tape, check out Permabond. It's used on RV roofs and supposedly lasts for 10 years when exposed to the elements. Not cheap but it's worked great for me.

16. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ghostman, I will check out the tape.
    Quick question, what mpg do you average?

Hard at work here. It snowed.
    I scored a piece of flat windshield glass(21X48) today for the rear window-$10. Measured up the original door, frame and screen and it will fit with room to spare so tomorrow I will start building the framework.

The passenger side wall is warped outward by the rear wheel well...gotta dig in there first thing.

Snowing again and weather person calling for 15 deg F tonight.
    Fingers getting cold.

[​IMG]
    bill
    OU812 likes this.
  17. Ghostyman

Ghostyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get about 13mpg highway. That's with a 15 person Maxivan, bigger than most vans but smaller than you've got. I've got the 3 speed 727 transmission, probably same as you. I need to rebuild the carb and am planning on switching to an e-fan to gain a bit of mileage.

I was wrong on the tape name, it's Eternabond. (http://www.eternabond.com/)

Here's a similar thing: http://bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16517
  18. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I had an 83 Dodge single wheel 1t cargo van. It had a 360 with a 2bbl carb and a magnum cam. I got 17 mpg frequently. Driving the speed limit.

I also put 33" tires on it. :wink:

I would guess that with the extra frontage on a class C, 2 more wheels and more weight you'll be lucky to get 12.
    OU812 likes this.
  19. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Guys,
    That 2 barrel carb is a simple rebuild. I had two units and chose the simpler one that did not have a bowel vent, anyway there's nothing in there except a power valve a cheezy accelerator pump and a float valve. In the process I stripped off the pollution canister connections

I blew everything out, wired what ever I could and used carb cleaner on all the passage ways. Dissassemble yours first before you lay out $50 for the kit.

My power valve was working and the accelerator pump diaphram was fine so I bought a separate float valve for $6 and called it good. The gaskets were fine.

The air cleaner stud helps hold the carb top on so don't forget to unscrew it.
    bill
  20. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I think for the application we have, a big 2bbl is far superior to a 4bbl.

I never had any problem with mine.