NEW Maintenance/Repair/Accessory DVDs (need opinions)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by JimVonBaden, Jun 10, 2011.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    OK, so I am about ready to do another BMW DVD. I am thinking about Repairs or Accessories (2 different DVDs).

Here are to rules:

Repair DVD:
    • Able to be done by the average home mechanic.
    • Typical issues, nothing rare or unusual.
    • Medium levels of difficulty
    Accessories DVD:
    • Common accessory done to a BMW
    • VERY available items
    • Level of difficulty average for home mechanic/tech
    Tell me what you think, what you would like to see, and give me links to products if you have one or more in mind.

By the way, I will be looking for volunteers for these projects. The benifits to you are free installation, credit, and a DVD of your choice. :deal

I "may" purchase the needed items for "some" of the work. Definitely shop supplies and smaller components, no final drives, lighting systems etc.:evil

If you live within striking distance of DC, you can get the work done at my place. If you come up with a great idea, but do not live close, and I use your idea, a free DVD of your choice will be given!

Thanks, I am looking forward to your input!

Jim :brow
  2. jtbvaca

jtbvaca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jim, I have to tell you and anyone who is thinking about getting your videos. I have a 2011 R1200GS and not long after I got the bike I got your videos. I have the Cam Head video and the accessory video, I think those vidoes will save me alot of money because now after seeing the vidoes I am brave eonough to tackle the valve check/adjustment on my bike and just about all of the maintenance it needs. I already used the accessory video to help me install the ROX riser/bar backs, I did not realize how easy it was to lower the tubes so I can easily re route the cables. I must thank you for quickly responding to emails I sent you asking the many questions I tend to ask.
    In short I must recommend the vidoes to anyone who is considering them!:clap
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Shirely some of you have some good ideas, right?:evil

4. flemsmith

flemsmith lurk

Oddometer:
    Jim,

I'd buy one if it included details about what components are needed to lower a std GS. I'm getting ready to lower one for my wife, and just starting to look at what the options are.

Also, seems lie you'd have a ready audience for how to ad some things to RT's, like light mounting/wiring and best GPS mounting options.

roy
  5. Jason1202GStime!

Jason1202GStime! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe you can have a section that touches on those parts that are always in the spotlight. :D
    Just to name a few.
    Final drive side seal replacement.
    Signal switches repair. (I think this is made into stickies already)
    Fuel pump leaking issues and replacement?

ops... did I just mention final drive? :rofl
  6. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim,

I'd like to add some aftermarket shocks to my ride (Hyperpro). How about an install vid?

Garrett.
  7. omeier

omeier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim,
    I'd throwing diagnosing sticking brakes on there.
    figuring out what was wrong with my brakes on my '05 gs took a while (and you're help!).

It ended up being a leaking master cylinder, but along the way I found a few other things to check, namely the pin that can get gunked up and causing sticking....

Edit: forgot to add, the busted micro-switch that can be a problem for the servo assisted ABS's. Also having gunk stuck inbetween the pistons and the caliper that can cause stickyness..

I'll think some more about things I've come across in the forum... Fortunately (or unfortunately) the leaky master cylinder was the only problem I had in the year or so I owned my '05 GS...
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Great advice! Keep it coming!:deal

9. omeier

omeier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim,

I updated my above post to reflect the other issues that I saw on my brake experience...

Good luck,
    Oliver
  10. Kumazuma

Kumazuma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I second the shock install. Possibly Cable replacement, I don't know if fork seals might be worth while. Maybe add some pointers where to get some of the tools. I have an older version of your 12oo gs 36000 vid. I love the funnel you use for the brake fluid service. Where did you get it. Also show the plastic strip you used to change the Belt. Or possibly how to make one for those of us with less imagination:huh
  11. rowbear2

rowbear2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you could add replacing the final drive seal right side .
    bob
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Shock install I can do, it is here if you need a quickie: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Ohlins_Shock_Install.html

Fork seals might work, easy to do.

I should beef up my tools section on my site: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tool_Kit.html

The funnel is available from www.beemerboneyard.com

I made the plastic strip from a toss out piece of plastic from a dealer license plate. You could use a heavy laundry detergent bottle too. It is 2" wide by 6 inches long.

Thanks, and keep them coming!

PS I have the FD seal on the list already. Thinking seriously about 1100/1150 and 1200 FD rebuilds too.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Scheduled for this weekend filming, R1100/1150 Hall Effect Sensor (HES) replacement, possibly a rebuild as well.

Also scheduled, fuel line Quick Disconnect replacements, including R1200 Puel pump plate fitting replacement.

Still looking for more ideas! :ear

14. malloy

malloy Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    JVB : How about these: bleeding, cleaning, maintenance and replacement of clutch slave; disconnecting the side stand safety switch; lubing drive shaft splines @ transmission end; replacing throttle cables; installing a power outlet plug; replacing the EWS ring and getting rid of those damn security screws. Pretty common, not too difficult with guidance. Love your stuff:clap:clap
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Filming for the quick disconnect install and the HES install are complete. I plan to rebuild the old HES as well.:clap

If you live nearby, and wish to do some repairs or accessories, let me know, maybe we can help each other out.:deal

16. Boxerwrench

Boxerwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need more exposure of 1100 & 1150RT's
    GS's are fine but there are some differences from RT's.
    (Ya, I know this is a GS place but not all readers have one.)
    A whole lot of tupperware for a newbie to figger how best to remove.
    Like my tank is plastic and the location of fuel filter/ level float is in a different place in the tank. ABS reservoir is under the tank.

Getting the 1100RT fuel guage to show all the bars.
    Changing the RT charcoal filter.
    Installing an HID system.
    Dimming down the HI beam indicator light.
    Replacing/ upgrading headlight bulbs in RT's
    aiming RT light.
    Replacing a leaking final drive large seal.
    Installing peg lower kit
    Installing floor boards.
    retrofit an RTP oil fan system.

Just off the top of my head.
    Changing a tire on an alloy rim and a spoked one.
  17. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    when I had my 1200 GS I bought your video and loved it.

Now I have a KTM 990 adventure and would love your product.

The bike is complicated to work on and your video would sell well I believe.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't mind doing a KTM. I would need a KTM guru and a bike to do it on.

19. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim,

I had your Hexhead DVD when I owned my 05 R12GS and now have the Camhead DVD for my 11 RT, very good work.

I would like an in-depth instructional DVD on using the GS911. Not just how to connect and go through the paces but what it all means.

Also, wondering why changing fork oil is not emphasized; how and how often it should be done???? :scratch

Lastly, offer a printed tutorial as option to the corresponding DVD.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You know, that is a good point. Let me talk with Stephan about that and see if he would be interested in something.

Thanks,