OK, tell me I'm crazy....

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Too Many Toys, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Too Many Toys

Too Many Toys Adventure Poseur

Oddometer:
    Just off the Lincoln hiway in Ioway & Mesa, AZ
    OK, tell me I'm crazy. I'm thinking of selling my 2010 BMW F800GS to get a Vespa GTV300. The 800GS is at our Arizona home and barely gets ridden. The Phoenix area has some active scooter clubs and I think the wife & I would get more enjoyment out of that scene. Thoughts?

P.S. I have a WR250R for off-roading.
  2. shovelmike

shovelmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it matters to you, Vespa's are manufactured in China now. I was thinking of buying one myself, but that changed my mind......they sure charge a lot just because of the name plate.
  3. redhandmoto

redhandmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're planning on riding two-up, I strongly recommend that your Mrs try out the pillion seating position before you buy.
    It is notorious for torturing passengers - do a search over on modernvespa.com. The Vespa body is very wide and the swing-out passenger pegs are way too short. Passengers complain of extreme discomfort after only a few minutes aboard, even the most leggy and double-jointed.

Some have solved the problem using homemade extensions for the foot pegs - I made mine of PVC pipe section that were slipped over the factory pegs to extend the total length, easing lateral discomfort on the passenger's knee joints:

[​IMG]

Otherwise, the GTS/GTVs are great fun, smooth & with plenty of power.

And, ah, I believe that only two low-end models are made in China ( or maybe one) - the rest are still manufactured in Pontadera, Italy at the Vespa plant.
  4. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    go test drive a few scoots! The new vespas are really nicely made machines..

Ignore the comment about Modern Vespas being made in China, that is just not true...The parent company Piaggio has a few models made in China, including my Aprilia Scarabeo 200(awesome machine by the way) but the Vespas themselves are made in Italy.
  5. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    US market Vespas are built in Pontadera Italy. Of course they have numerous chinese components in them, but then everything does anymore.

Vespas are priced for a premium, however.

The Piaggio FLY 150 is built in China....
  6. redhandmoto

Oddometer:
    precisamente!
  7. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think your crazy at all. A lot of us have made the switch from bike to scoot. Ideally it is nice if you can keep both and you do at least have the dirtbike for that. I can't vouch for the 2-up ergos of the vespa, but if you are not totally sold on that name at least try to sit on some other makes. Since you got the money, how bout a t-max?
  8. Too Many Toys

Oddometer:
    We only have a 2 car garage at our Arizona home, so 3 bikes & 2 cars won't work. :(

I've had a TMax, nice scoot. But I'm ready for something a little different, i.e. not Japanese. LOL
  9. Too Many Toys

Oddometer:
    I was told by the stealership that all the large displacement Vespa's were still built in Italy. Is that true? Not sure it matters, have had both English & Thailand built Triumphs and didn't notice a quality diff.
  10. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    This is that critical point, "do i care?" haha. The vespas are nice, my only problem with them, is those rinky dink wheels..sure lacks a sense of stability at speed, however the low speed maneuverability is fantastic.

I guess the big question is, what will it be used for? Around town "Put Put-ing" or occasional highway sprints.
  11. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The steering on my DR650 seems downright lethargic after riding my Vespa GTS250. The stability is fine, at speed IMO and wind poses less effect on my Vespa than my DR.

The ability to ford potholes and rough pavement with 12" wheels is an issue for me, fortunately the steering is so responsive avoiding those potholes and rough spots is a no-brainer. Those 12" wheels are a hoot in the handling department at any speed.

Size does matter!
  12. redhandmoto

Oddometer:
    Stability at speed...well, I regularly took my GTS on I66, I95, I64, etc., etc. YMMV, but for me, it was solid as a glob of mud. Though I was running a medium-sized windshield, I never felt in danger from a "sail" effect, side-gusts or the blast of slipstream from passing semis. It wasn't ideal for the superslab, but neither was it dangerous. JMHO.
  13. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    I dont even look for potholes much anymore, with 16's i can just plop right over them without much drama...

Side gusts are my only issues on the highway
  14. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My sentiments exactly. By the same token, short of a Maxi scooter the superslab isn't really the sweet-spot for most scooters....yet they can still get you anywhere you want to go.

Rode mine to Reno NV and back from Temecula, with a mere 63 miles spent on the interstate. Best ride ever!
  15. MotoRandy123

MotoRandy123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold my BMW F650GS and got a Kymco Yager. Just as much fun at half the cost!

Unfortunately scooters historically haven't had very good wind protection but if you
    get a bigger one and add a windshield they can do just about anything. They don't
    get as good gas mileage as bike though, which is one of my pet peeves. But they
    usually have lots of storage options and are easy to just get on and ride!

You might look at some of the 200i and 300i's from Kymco, nice scoots and good
    prices!
  16. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just started scooting this past month and love it however, I still have two other bigger bikes in the garage. Scoots are much fun and lot's of smiles to the mile but I can't imagine it being my only 2 wheel ride. Then again my scoot is almost 30 years old.
  17. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting you say that since I get in the low 70s on my Vespa GTS 250 and in the low to mid 60s on my Aprilia Scarabeo. My brothers can't match those numbers on their BMWs. Neither do those I ride with on Harleys. I will say that my mileage does drop dramatically if I stay above 90mph on the Scarabeo or BV 500s as I did crossing Nevada and North Dakota but a more sensible 70 gets me 62-64 mpg.

My son gets 95-100 with our Buddy 125 in town. If you aren't riding WOT and aggressive take-off you should be getting good gas mileage on most scoots.
  18. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I've got three Honda Relex models and a Silverwing. I also have a LX150 Vespa. No one will
    ride the Vespa because it feels so squirrelly. I rode my friends Vespa 250 and it had better power than
    the Reflex but sat high and I didn't care for the feel as well.

As far as offing the Beemer, why not? If you don't use it replace it with something that makes you smile.
  19. shovelmike

shovelmike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the correction, I'm pleased to hear that they are Italian made.
  20. kiznile

kiznile Scooter Commuter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. My scarabeo 200 gets 68mpg with an average commute of 50-65mph..and I'm not easy on the throttle at all