Just Goosing Around... First steps into Guzzi land...

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by England-Kev, Nov 16, 2012.

1. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are the two mounting holes for on the handlebar clamps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:huh
  2. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    I believe the 2 in the center are for a faring brace.
    no idea what the one by the clutch perch is,
    mine didn't have that
    :dunno

edit: actually think the 2 on the perch are for the original "snuff box" headlight switch

[​IMG]
  3. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    It says 1970 on the headstock Vin plate, I think it is a euro model though, as it has KM/H clocks:evil
  5. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Fairing braces.........

Nick
  6. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I shall try to get the clutch adjusted tomorrow, I have bought a new cable, but I think I need to adjust the plunger at the gearbox end (there seems to be a lot of play at that point) any advice on this will be gladly accepted...:deal
  7. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Guzziology cautions to not over adjust the free play. Make sure the lever doesn't come in contact with the back cover before he's done pushin' it in....:wink:
  8. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent the morning playing with the Guzzi, gave it some Ambo decals on the battery box sides, and I fitted the christmas present I bought it, in the shape of a new correct fuel cap. I then fitted the new clutch cable and adjusted it up, but it is no better than the old one in action, so I may jhave to dig deeper :confused

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    Kevin, that bike is just absolutely beautiful. To me, it's just the right mix of shiny, and patina. It's good for me to see this, as I'm in the middle of a rebuild, and I'm having a lot of trouble, letting what I originally intended to be a get-it-running-and-just-ride-it job drift into a fix-everything-that-is-showing-any-wear job. Your photography is beautiful too. Thanks for the updates!:1drink
  10. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The white ones polish up easy, just needs a little elbow grease :wink:. Same year (1970) as above.

[​IMG]
  11. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I will never be able to restore a bike, as I don't have the time, inclination, or facilities to do so, I would much rather be riding a tatty bike, than not riding a restored one, buy hey, that's just me. Do you like how I fitted red HT wires to match the pinstripe on the tank:evil I have done fitting new parts now, maybe a whitewall tyre on the front sometime, right now I just want to get it changing gear sweetly and I will be happy.

:freaky
  12. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I have the clutch cable adjusted correctly, could my gear selection problems be down to the gear change linkage?
  13. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have to agree that your bike looks great as is. And yes the red wires do give some additional 1970's flair. Even though I run mind with the wixom bags, I think the loops look best naked and with the original dual saddle. Guzzi really got it right on the styling. Regarding the shifting, mine does OK but I do have slop in the linkage. This is something I hope to work out over the winter.

Great thread btw, I always learn a lot from these projects and the comments from the guzzi experts out there (not me!).
  14. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kev,
    Great looking bike! Now it just needs to get a bit dirty. On my Loops (72 Eldo and 74 California), the gear change process goes like this:

Pull in the clutch and gently but firmly press the gear lever in to first. There will probably be a bit of a clunk and perhaps a slight drag on the bars. Let the clutch out and get moving. Speed up a bit, pull in clutch, let the revs drop while you think about your girlfriend's anatomy, push firmly down on the lever until you hear that nice scrunchy sound of it going in to gear, let the clutch out then let the gear lever return to centre. Repeat. Downshifts are similar: clutch in, rev a bit, firm deliberate pressure, scrunch, clutch out. The boxes on both bikes are dead slow, but the gears are reliably there. Its part of the charm of the bikes. Think 1950's Panther- not 1970's Honda and everything will seem fine.

If the bike isn't keen to go into gear at a standstill and you have adjusted the lever/cable properly, you are probably looking at the need for new clutch plates / clutch hub in the future - but it will probably get you to Croatia and back as is.

Changing the clutch is a pain, but can be done with the engine in the frame on Loops.

As far as I am concerned, Loops are the best of all worlds. You have the look and feel of a vintage bike yet they are capable of crossing continents effortlessly and reliably. while giving decent mpg and performance. Just ride within the limits of the brakes...........

Happy New Year

Nick
  15. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    Yes sloppy linkage can make gear changes crappier.
    Tighten that junk up as best you can.

Check out the rear of the trans - did you adjust there too?
  16. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have any of you actually managed to do this adjustment on the bike? if so, maybe you can tell me how:huh I can get a 19mm spanner in there over the drive shaft,, but there is not enough room to loosen the lock nut off, and if I ever get that far, how then do you get a screwdriver in there to adjust it?:eek1
  17. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is tricky, but yes, but it can be done. I ended up making a slotted tool to go over the end of the adjuster. Don't forget, since you are operating directly on to the clutch thrust rod, tiny adjustments equate to large changes at the lever.

Nick
  18. Bloodweiser

Bloodweiser honestly

Oddometer:
    I remember it being a real bastard anyhow.
    I believe I did it twice;
    once laying down in the mud
    and the second time I removed the battery tray.

Take your pick,
    both took about the same amount of time,
    and yes it has to be in the mud.

IIRC I either used a 90degree screw driver,
    or a spanner and my fingers...

Deal with your linkages at the same time
    if you take your battery tray out.
  19. England-Kev

England-Kev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not talking about the clutch arm adjuster, I have already adjusted that, above that is another adjuster with a 19mm locknut, and a flat blade screwdriver slot for adjustment, that is the one I need to play with, I think.
    I can't get first gear at standstill under any conditions, I have to release the clutch slightly or have the bike moving. Maybe I should just pull the rear end apart and have a look at clutch plates etc.:eek1
  20. nick949eldo

nick949eldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    and see whether things loosen up a bit.

If you can get first gear by letting out the clutch slightly, and as long as it isn't dragging too fiercely, my response would be to ride it for a while. That sounds about normal to me. I often have often had to use the clutch a little to engage first, both before and after changing the clutch. It may just need to be used for the bike (and the rider) to settle in. Its not a Honda.

Nick