Moving to Europe

Discussion in 'Europe' started by airjammer, Dec 13, 2013.

1. airjammer

airjammer Western USA

Oddometer:
    I am working in the Oil and Gas sector in Mideast and Africa. Spend too much time commuting so am looking for a good place to live in Spain or (open to suggestions)

Currently, I live in Colorado and ride in the desert and mountains here and want to be in a like area. Spain looks like the spot for riding.

I am looking for a long term rental / furnished villa in an area that has access to airport/transportation and of course mountains, beach, food, culture. Willing to spend up to USD1000 monthly. Malaga?, Sierra Nevada? .....I will be working a 35 - 35 rotation so would like to have a sound place to keep a car or bike while gone.

Where is the best place to look?

Thoughts?
  2. Famous

Famous Goin down hill fast

Oddometer:
    The Costa del Sol is a good place to start looking

Good transport links, plenty of history if you glance behind the tourist side of things there is a lot of trails but over recent years I've seen more restrictions but in general I've never had any problems with the local people it's the expats who move there for the" laid back lifestyle" and then try to change it to the very things that they have moved from that cause the grief. The Spanish seem to have a liking for bikes take a short spin over to Jerez for the Motogp and you'll get the idea:rofl
    Don't expect the big wide open spaces of your present location in general you won't find that in Europe
    I would take a short term let and that will give you a chance to find out what kind of area youd prefer taking into consideration the major influx of people for the peak summer months.
    If you decide to go for an apartment with underground parking I wouldn't leave a bike for long periods (I've lost a ktm to some scumbags)
    A couple of us rent a lockup and that has worked well for us.
    In general it's a good place and I have been tootling around there for a good few years and haven't got fed up of the place yet plus a short ferry ride away and you can start on Morocco not forgetting that Casablanca is a good hub for travel especially across the Arab world.
    I'm sure others will have other views of the place and other suggestions
  3. airjammer

airjammer Western USA

Oddometer:
    this is what im looking for good advice
  4. airjammer

airjammer Western USA

Oddometer:
    this is what im looking for good advice
  5. Bovino

Bovino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I got stuck on the Costa del Sol, in Fuengirola.
    At the moment, having a job, Spain is extremely cheap on all accounts.
    Even though we are buying a place now, I will keep my rented house to live in. 700 euros for a 200 sqm semi-detached (with double garage) ain't bad. Pool, water, internet, maintenance and full Sky tv included. :rofl
    4% income tax for married people ain't to bad either...

As for riding it's fecking great, all year round. Loads of twisties and single trails starting right at my house. Skiing? An hour away. MTB? Sram has a test track literally in my backyard.

Google: Sierra de las nieves, Serrania de Ronda, Montes de Málaga, Alpujarra, Sierra Grazalema. Motorbike heaven. All this within an hours drive away from the Costa.

Chris
  6. airjammer

airjammer Western USA

Oddometer:
    Chris pm me
  7. Bovino

Bovino Long timer

Oddometer:
    My shag had a "for rent" sign dangling off it.

Have a look at milanucios.com , fotocasa.es , segundamano.es or local property sharks.

My house was unused when we moved in, though six years old. Quite normal here... :rofl

Spain is going through the biggest crisis ever, over 50% of the under 30's are unemployed. That and broke banks makes for a weird property market...you'll find out.

Chris
  8. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am here at the moment, in Malaga. It's nice but very touristy.
    The mountain roads are awesome though.
    There are a lot of private sales and leases going on by people hanging signs on doors.
    I'll keep a look out while I'm here.

WW
  9. airjammer

airjammer Western USA

Oddometer:
    I want to ship my bike. 950ADVS. Any lines on companies? Locations to ship too?

Thoughts?
  10. Bovino

Bovino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Málaga port comes to mind, it grew quite a bit in the last years. Dunno anything specific though. If you contract an agent there, customs will be less trouble I guess.

We've bought a 30ft container there once, straight from the company that ran logitics there, nice bunch of Pacos they are.

Chris
  11. Famous

Oddometer:
    Algeciras is a major port down near Gibraltar & is Spainish but also you can ship to Gibraltar but just be aware that Gibraltar isn't part of the EU but the language may be easier to deal with (or maybe you are a Spainish speaker).
    Do you intend to register the bike in Spain
  12. Bovino

Bovino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gibraltar as such is part of the EU, so that's no problem. A spanish port will be easier though.

Chris
  13. Famous

Oddometer:

Sorry about that, I was under the wrong impression on it's status.

Are those the only border controls within the EU
  14. kristof-lars

kristof-lars Adventurer

Oddometer:

got any lines on work? i just moved to france and am looking for an entry position in oil and gas have me h2s/confined space entry and rescue/fall arrest course/first aid, same deal a good stint on and off i have a place to keep my stuff here in france my sister and her husband live here. long shot but just asking!
  15. Ianuk

Ianuk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have got me thinking as well, UK to Spain the renting is so much cheaper than in the UK. Most of the forums on moving to Spain at the moment don't recommend buying.

[URL="http://www.thinkspain.com/spanishproperty/"[/URL]
  16. airjammer

airjammer Western USA

Oddometer:

Try United Safety. They were on site in Iraq. They are out of UK, I believe. Make a good CV touting your safety skills. You could be Safety man.
  17. kristof-lars

kristof-lars Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i will give them a browse thanks!
  18. Riteris

Riteris Dessert Runner

Oddometer:
    A place many ADV Riders fear: The Nation's Capital
    I was only in that area once so I don't know much. I would imagine living along the coast would make one crazy in the summer with the hordes that come for summer vacation.

I think I would much rather liver further north in places like Ronda, Seville or Cordoba.

It seems that Toledo or Segovia might be interesting towns to live in.