XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Ridin Dirty

Ridin Dirty What day is it?

Oddometer:
    I had a very positive experience with my Baja Designs battery. The prior owner and I ran it for over 5 years. I never took it off the bike. It survived New England Winters in my garage with no trickle charger. I regularly ran it down and it always charged back up. I was hoping it would fail so I could replace it! My electrical system was pretty basic with Ricky Stator 200W split between AC and DC (No HID). My only BD dual sport kit failure was the handlebar switch. Overall, I was very happy with it. I have far less confidence in my current X-Challenge electrical system.
  2. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    I was looking at doing something similar only I'll be replacing my stock stator and looking into the Antigravity battery (or this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTI4MEA...TF8&colid=1KPKJ6VIWTL8U&coliid=I2XT5S69LCQM8H) and possibly the powerhub2..
  3. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Ricky Stator has a voltage regulator that is capable of 200W, I'll get a part number for you tomorrow. I'm running 200W full DC.

Some split the system AC/DC, I never felt the need for that. You can also split the system dual DC 100 watts each and run two rectifier regulators and two small batteries.

Be careful with the wrapped batteries, they sometimes get loose, leak etc.
    A self contained hard case is better, lithium iron over the lithium ion.
    These are just my opinions based on the amount of bikes I see coming thru our place.

4. mitchn06

mitchn06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You probably meant dual DC since you mentioned batteries and re/rec. For my future system, I am going to run a dual system AC/dc. The benefit for this is that if a battery fails or a fuse blows on the DC side, I will still have lights. Won't be stranded at night and a safety thing in any traffic I may encounter. Ac is more efficient and having one battery is a pain. I can't imaging trying to find a place for two of them, and the small amount of added weight.
  5. motorider200

motorider200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is another battery mounting option. I have the smallest lead acid battery I could find at walmart mounted behind my headlight shell. My Baja Designs DS kit has a metal shell that everything mounts to.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  6. Renazco

Oddometer:
    I did Mitch, thanks for catching that!
    The only thing I notice with the AC system is that power delivery to the lights fluctuates at RPM from low to high, just an annoyance to me personally, but yes having split AC/DC is safe.

I need the battery because of the lights I have on the bike.

7. Renazco

Oddometer:
    Call Ricky Stator and ask for Mike, the part #RS7004RR150
  8. pandamanprod

pandamanprod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh boy - a buddy came over and we rebuilt the carb on the XRR I recently picked up, and saw it that a 60 pilot jet, we threw in the 68s and after waiting for some new throttle cables to come, I pieced it back together and the bike turned over after two kicks (sitting dry for a few months). Incredible how that jetting changes everything - It's been beat to death, but I'll say it again for any newer owner who might be stumbling on this thread now.

Make sure your running a 68s Pilot! It's a game changer, and a mandatory mod! Dramatically improves kicking the bike over!
  9. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Looks like this isn't the stock bolt that breaks? Right? I bought used, looks like a pin with a clip on it right? Anyone else do this kind of replacement on the peg?[​IMG]
  10. Trl Rdr

Trl Rdr Big Red Bird

Oddometer:
    Its the bolts that attach the mount to the frame that can break.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
  11. pandamanprod

pandamanprod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, Looking for advice on a lift for the XRR - I'm looking for something foot operated if possible. Thanks!
  12. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. npcaldwell

npcaldwell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I called Ricky stator about regulator/rectifiers I told them I was running their 200w stator and a 1.2 aH battery wanting to go with a dc only setup and the trail tech unit is the one they recommended for us with smaller batteries. I asked about it only being rated for 150W and he said trail tech only says that because thats the biggest stator they sell, he said he's never had one come back out of all they've sold. I think it was Mike I talked to also. Good luck
  14. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks now I see. Hey, I'm new to this bike, but the info is great. Rode the bike tonight, the headlight is very bright, and it sounds strong! My friend owns the XL650R same year, he rode it and said he liked it! When I rode this bike tonight for the first time; Nothing about it felt cheap. I'm so glad I found it, I saved about 15,000.00. I was thinking about buying an F800GS. I think it has a 65s rear jet and a 68s front. Does that sound right? The bike came from Oregon. Now if I just find out if it has an upgraded stator, that would make it even mo better.
  15. Sean-0

Sean-0 straya carnt

Oddometer:
    search in the vendors thread there is a chap who has the replacement bolts you need ....cheap and easy fix if you do it b4 it shits it's pants .....i used the same bolts on mine 3 yrs ago and still in there with no issues .. i do check them every now and then and i placed thread locker on the bolts when installing
  16. El Caballo Loco

El Caballo Loco Pants-free living!

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rvsJXkb6RkY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Fixed it for ya.
  17. 1bigrn

1bigrn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the last few pages I have figured out how to mount the battery, what regulator/rectifier to use and there has been two batteries discussed.

Antigravity Battery: 4-cell
    http://antigravitybatteries.com/ag-401/

EarthX batteries
    http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/etx6a/

I'm not concerned about the difference in price and weight and size is much the same.

Any thought on one battery/ or company over the other? I know that antigravity is active on ADVrider, but that is 2nd to my concerns.
    Thanks,
  18. KustomizingKid

KustomizingKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on using the smallest size ballistic battery... Just to add to the confusion and choices. I have had really good luck with them, others haven't. The guy I road Baja with had a custom made battery some guys out of the Bay Area built that was pretty slick too. Clear as mud eh.
  19. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    Thank you El loco, this is my pig now, the video is the po, The bike is a xrr with a stage1 hot cam, eddy pumper. big mouth ex.and Vincent fournea ice wheels. It also has the electrosport Dakar dual sport kit. I believe the po was skeeert of the old girl so I bought her.:deal
  20. zoro

zoro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That Ice racing sure does look like fun, I will never experience this unfortunately but would be great to have a go at it.