Flexing my ABS

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Triwi, Jun 19, 2008.

1. HWSNBN

HWSNBN Banned

Oddometer:
    Playing a d00d, disguised as another d00d

Like it or not, individuals such as myself ARE the future of KTM ! The old school "rough and tough" rider is a thing of the past. As KTM 950/990's appeal to a broader base of riders, said riders will expect and demand excellence in a product. I'm sure the first automobile with electric windows was jeered by the mass public, but now is standard. The modern buyer of KTM products will dictate the product, or the 990/950 will become a thing of the past ! <!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->
  2. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    fixed
  3. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    are you saying that when riding in the dirt you want the computer to control how much you can get on the gas ?? You don't want wheelspin ?

I just rode 640 miles in the dirt this weekend and my rear tire was moving twice as fast as my front tire.. its why I own a 990.. I killed the tire in 600 miles but it sure was fun !!
    http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88065
  4. HWSNBN

HWSNBN Banned

Oddometer:
    Playing a d00d, disguised as another d00d
    Seems to me that traction control would put all riders on an equal playing field.

Here is an example: A friend and I were stopping by Starbucks for a latte' a few days ago. We decided to be real rebels and ride through the grass around to the front. His bike had traction control, so when he applied the throttle, his bike tracked around the corner perfectly ! When I applied the throttle the rear slipped from under me ! My new riding gear is now stained and my reputation as an adventure rider is tarnished forever there !
  5. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    guys

stop feeding the trolls
  6. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    Fascinating!

[​IMG]
    Tslapper likes this.
  7. pigstain

pigstain Out of Control

Oddometer:
    Back to the thread.

I installed a sub miniature toggle switch from Radio Shack in the left control pod. Tried a momentary switch but for some reason it didn't work. Toggle switch works perfectly and once ABS is off it can be flipped to on, clutch pulled and starter thumbed and ABS resets.
  8. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    HWSNBN you should go and buy a BMW and f*#k off, we dont want you to be the future of KTM.

KTM 950/990's are serious bikes and should be for serious riders.

You obviously have no riding ability and no understanding of what works on a dirt bike. Have you ever ridden in sand with traction control?

Go and get yourself a roadie and stop giving adventure riders a bad name.

This thread wouldnt exist if all technology was good!
  9. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    950A and 990A are more off road oriented and a 1200 could be more on road oriented for BMW type adventurers. Each on his own (scuse my english). Cheers.
  10. memomate13

memomate13 chop chop

Oddometer:
    :poser
  11. big adv

big adv I need supervision

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you rep. amongst you riding buds is not tarnished, if anything they thing you are a hard core off roader. After all most of them biff there bikes in the garage trying to turn around. I saw a Goldwing with retractable 'training wheels' maybe you should get that.....or learn how to ride. Wanker.

Earl
  12. slackeye_images

slackeye_images Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Originally Posted by HWSNBN
    No offense taken, but alas, the 990 seems to be the new TRUE adventure rider's choice. Seems only practical that it be outfitted with all the latest technology available to make it as easy to ride, and safe as possible. I have a friend that is an electrical engineer/designer, that is going to investigate the feasibility for me. I was hoping someone had performed this modification, and could offer some insight.
    Like the other rider said, if you know how to ride and use proper throttle input to achieve desired/safe result...you wouldn't be wondering about your electronics-engineer-buddy to design you an Electro-Douche-990; In fact, there already is one: It's called a GSA and is probably <secretly> a Honda engineer's wet-dream.
    Please buy a GSA, they come with a free box of Depends undergarments, in case you crap your pants when you realize that the traction control will get your 750lb monster stuck on a hill because it won't let you power-spin up it.
    BOLLOCKS!!!
  13. slackeye_images

slackeye_images Adventurer

Oddometer:

I *knew* it <somehow> ... it was the "Latte"...and the upturned pinky-finger, that gave it away. Hell, if he had traction control, you wouldn't be able to see the smoke coming from his spinning tyre ... and as you know the saying goes, "where there's smoke, there's a flamer ... I mean, fire" .. =/
    BOLLOCKS!!!
  14. ÖÖ.

ÖÖ. Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer:
    How about installing a switch and a small pulse generator to rear sensor line? Switch the generator on and the ABS thinks that the rear wheel is spinning even you lock it. Turn the switch off and the real sensor pulse comes back. This way you could switch rear ABS on/off on the fly and still use front ABS all the time.
  15. ÖÖ.

ÖÖ. Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer:
    I thought the ABS unit is considering front and rear as a separate systems? This came to my mind because I have heard that you can bypass the ABS unit on the rear brake line and still get a working front ABS. If I understand correctly what you are saying, in the case of bypassed rear ABS, while locking the rear it should make the front ABS not work simultaneously?
  16. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    i just picked up a 2010 990.. what I am curious about is why the ABS system won't stay shut off. I'd prefer that the factory method would work as it should, before hacking in a switch. has anyone tried to get this fixed at dealership?

or is this somehow a cruel trick? in that you disable the system as prescribed, and roll off with the light on, only to have ABS activate the first time you brake hard on dirt.. why arnt people trying to address that situation?
  17. robdogg

Oddometer:
    anyone tracking here?
  18. KarimADV

KarimADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011: if i shut the ABS off, it stays off until i shut off the bike.
  19. robdogg

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your response, and knowing that it works as it should for you.. hehe.. but just curious why it seems to fail for a lot of folks, but no one is talking about having their dealer fix it, or if there is a TB out for it etc.
  20. the foolish fellow

the foolish fellow UP FOR IT

Oddometer:
    Just fit a switch on the ABS and cut the crap.