Yamaha Super Ténéré 1200 Skid plates list and specs

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by jaumev, Jul 1, 2012.

1. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    So after a million posts in the Super Ténéré thread here is the skid plates list.
    After all the discussions I think we can list them for its principal characteristics: ground clearance, mounting type, weigh and aluminium thickness. Feel free to ad any more specs you think or if I forgot any other skid plates.
    Please help to correct and fill all the specs so we can have a full list. :thumb

GROUND CLEARANCE: Every bike is set up differently with different gear and pre-load settings, etc. So lets have the measurement on the center stand, from a level concrete floor to the skid plate lowest point.
    FORCE: 9,5" / 24,13 cm
    TOURATECH: 9,17" / 23,3 cm
    HEPCO&BECKER: 9,25" / 23,5 cm
    ACD: 9,45" / 24 cm
    ALT RIDER: 9 3/8" / 23,8 cm
    RIDEONADV: 9,5" / 24 cm
    SW MOTECH: 9,25" / 23,5 cm
    RUMBUX: 9 ¾” / 24,76cm (skid plate lowest point??)
    OEM:

MOUNTING TYPE: FRONT / BACK
    FORCE: sump / frame
    TOURATECH: front engine mount with silent blocks / frame
    HEPCO&BECKER: front engine mount / frame
    ACD: frame / frame
    ALT RIDER: front engine mount / frame
    RIDEONADV: frame / frame
    SW MOTECH: sump / frame
    RUMBUX: frame / frame (complete steel frame under the engine 25mm steel tubing)
    OEM:

WEIGHT (measured with bolts and all hardware): lbs / kg
    FORCE: 6 / 2,7
    TOURATECH: 7,8 / 3,57
    HEPCO&BECKER: 14 / 6,3
    ACD: 11 / 5
    ALT RIDER: 9,2 / 4,17
    RIDEONADV: 13 / 5,9
    SW MOTECH:
    RUMBUX: 12,6 / 5,7
    As to the weight of the Rumbux, the weight of the unit, complete upper and lower with all hardware, (most of the big bolts replace shorter OEM ones), is 23 lbs. The lower bash frame w/skid plate and all hardware is 13 lbs and the upper bash frame is 10 lbs.
    OEM:

ALUMINIUM THICKNESS (millimetres):
    FORCE: 4
    TOURATECH: 3
    HEPCO&BECKER: 4
    ACD: 4
    ALT RIDER: 3
    RIDEONADV: 6
    SW MOTECH: 3
    RUMBUX: 4,5
    OEM:
    JupiterRider likes this.
  2. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    I recently talked to Jaxon at RideonADV, and according to him the plate weighs roughly 13lbs depending on how many and what kind of holes you have machined in it.

I'll be ordering one in the next few weeks and will be sure to weigh it before I install it :deal.
  3. stevepsd

stevepsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Altrider gives me 9 1/2" clearance where you measured yours.

Also it does not attach to the sump at the front as you have listed, but to the front engine casings. The sump is the bottom of the motor...aka the oil pan.

My skid measures 3.2mm or 1/8" thick.
  4. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, added to the list. Thanks!

OK, added. Do you measured in the lowest point? Its strange, the Touratech is nearly touching the engine and is lowest than yours. With the central stand, in the Touratech the lowest point is the front to the skid plate.
    You're right I modified the Altrider attach, Thanks!
  5. stevepsd

stevepsd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rechecked, and at your reference point (in front of the brake pedal, in line with the exhaust heat shield screw) it measures 9.5". This is on the centerstand, on level concrete.

I moved the tape all around, and did find towards the front where the clearance went down to 9 3/8" in one spot.

Now my skid did have the snot beat out of it, enough to crack the welds, bend the mounts, so I did have to straighten the skid and the mounts - with the help of a 12 ton press and I did reweld the cracked so this could change things some.
    I also checked and I have no less than a minimum of 3/4" of clearance from the skid to the bottom of the motor (I put a 3/4" spacer down there at it clears everywhere). There is more clearance between the skid and the motor at the back than the front, and I have right at 3/4" between the oil filter and the skid.
    arr2 likes this.
  6. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the best is to measure them all at their lowest point, so I put 9 3/8 to your plate, ok??
    Thanks!
  7. AlsoRan

AlsoRan PNF

Oddometer:
    SW Motech ground clearance from same point of reference and on center stand: 9.250 in or 23.495 cm
  8. Ze_zaskar

Ze_zaskar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This should go sticky
  9. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's in the link thread, so it's sticky-ish.
  10. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The clearance on the Force Accessories plate is about 9.5 inches at the front edge. That's on concrete on the center stand.
  11. wfopete

wfopete Suffer Fools; Gladly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about throwing in the MSRP for each?
  12. Ze_zaskar

Ze_zaskar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's perfectly acceptable
  13. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    how about the OEM accessory? that should be the baseline of comparison of price and design features or lack of them if you wish...
  14. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm considering replacing the bolt in this picture with a nylon or similar material bolt.

[​IMG]

This is the bottom of the front bracket that holds the Force Accessories plate on. It's the only mounting point that I really would worry about. I'm thinking a plastic bolt would break away under a hard hit before the engine mount would break.

I was considering just taking this bolt out and not putting anything in there. The plate would still be prretty solidly mounted with two bolts in the rear attached to the frame and the two at the upper engine mounting points.

I know I said in the other thread that I was done worrying about this, but it's one of those things your mind works at until you find an answer. I can't help myself, lol.

The specs for the plastic bolts are here: http://www.non-ferrousfastener.com/...SESSID=a3bfe4b145b17d6a58eb38e6489be9c3#NYLON

I'm thinking polypropylene.

Is this just crazy talk?
  15. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Added: SW Motech and Force. But no idea of OEM specs.
    Thanks!

Don’t know how to do it :huh

Good idea but difficult to apply, it could be different prices in different countries. If you want to do the exercise… :ear
  16. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve measured the bike lowest point in the centre stand without a skid plate and is a bit less than 25cm (9,84”), so the best ground clearance with a skid plate must be about 24cm (9,45”) minimum or the plate is going to touch the sump.
    So, I assume both the Rumbux (24,76 cm) and the Force (24,13cm) are not measured in the lowest place.
    Can you check it?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]
  17. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jaumev - thanks for starting this...

H&B is 9.5" at the front, 9.25" at the rear. I think the front clearance is the more important number - and anyway the rear tang has a bit of flex in it so the missing 1/4" isn't going to afftect anything.

thickness is 4mm

Trevor
  18. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Added, thanks.
    Let's see if someone tell us the RideoNav and OEM specs.
  19. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a 'rideonADV' plate? I mean, he's custom made some for customers, but every one is different isn't it?
  20. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m putting the list up to date with Dallara Rumbux specs