Crash Breakdown (vid)

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by GSAragazzi, May 14, 2014.

?

Which option would you have taken?

1. Trust the brakes and hope not to get rear ended?

2. Switch lanes and hope not to low side?

3. Try to squeeze in between taxi and curb?

4. Something else

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    What a Moran.
    1. He should've known where the white van was.
    2. He could have stopped, eaten a banana and continued on his way in the time it took for this to happen. He wanted to get passed "the f'in cager" and is now justifying his bad decision.
    3. Like everyone else said, you can't assume. But... I was always taught that you are supposed to end your turn in the lane you started, so the Taxi should've finished in the right lane, like he was trying to do.

This guy is one of those who want to blame car drivers for everything that happens, he's going to wind up dead right one of these days.

I voted "something else" because I would've been aware of my surroundings, and known where the white van was, allowing 2 options (I don't consider smashing into the ground an option like he does):
    My option 1 would have been to slow down behind the taxi, taxi was accelerating so he wouldn't have had to stop, or" SLAM THE BRAKES" as he says. If I felt everytime I slowed down someone was going to rearend me, I'd probably give up street riding.

My option 2 would have been to pass on the left accelerating away from the danger (not the best option, though better than trying to "shoot the gap")
  2. wizze

wizze Wizze = Wise

Oddometer:
    If this nitwit would have spent as much time learning to ride instead of making a video then I would ASSUME this will not happen to him again. But I'm sure it will

Since he is into assumptions, maybe he should always assume the worst will happen. What a dipshit.
  3. rightsideup

rightsideup Get your motor running...

Oddometer:
    Chronic riding skills
  4. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    SIPDE or SEE, pick one: He admits to seeing (SCAN / IDENTIFY or SEARCH) the cab, then promptly failed at PREDICT (SIPDE) or EVALUATE (SEE) when he ASSumed the taxi saw him, came to a conclusion the left EXECUTE out of the loop.

Not to mention trying to go around on the El Cruncho side.

[​IMG]
  5. NTTF

NTTF ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oddometer:
    poor Ducati :cry
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    As in don't be a myopic dweeb when you ride and you will not find yourself in that situation. :1drink
  7. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    I wonder...
    Douche: Hey can I borrow your Panigale to make a ( Crash) video?
    Bud: Sure. What's the worst that could happen?
    Douche: I'm not sayin, but yer gonna find out.
    Bud: :eek1:eek1:eek1:eek1 :cry:cry:cry:huh:huh:huh:huh MY BIKE!!!!!!!!!!:gun1
  8. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This video should probably be played at riding schools to show, what is NOT defensive riding. Trying to justify his poor judgment just makes him appear even more of an asshat.
  9. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    I choose option E. Not riding like a f'n moran and then making excuses for a completely avoidable crash. Dumbass.
  10. univibe88

univibe88 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was assuming the video was going to be more interesting and actually display a few viable options with some interesting discussion. That's what I get for assuming...

You guys already nailed it. For fuck's sake he could have just rolled off the throttle while the turning van settled in to one lane or the other. He didn't even need to brake but he was worried about low siding???

Of course, he should have just really cracked the throttle open and pass the f'n cager with authority!!!
  11. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    :huh:eek1:huh:eek1:huh

um. wow.

video can be deceiving regarding distances, but, i think my options would have gone in this order:

1. get on the brakes and not come even close to catching up to the van
    [/endlist]

he would have made it through that gap if he actually shot the gap instead of coasting through it, but it doesn't look to me in the video like that even needed to be on the options list.
  12. simonm2211

simonm2211 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It all goes horribly wrong at 2:40 when he says " At this point, I'm not worried at all" when he should have been braking moderately to firmly to give him some time and space to see which way the van was going.

Although this isn't the greatest example, the guy deserves credit for posting because there are lessons to be learned from his choice. It was a dumb decision to go for the inside pass, but who hasn't made a dumb decision?
  13. Webstermark

Webstermark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think he did everything right….if he was on a motocross track passing a slower rider… One problem, he wasn’t on a motocross track and it wasn’t a race. The instant he first saw the taxi was the instant to roll off the throttle, cover the front brake, glance to left for traffic and be ready. One instant later, when the taxi started his turn, that was the very second to start braking.. No need to beat this taxi to the next light. There is no checkered flag waiting. Had he done that, no crash . This time anyway. I say that because in the early part of the video, didn’t he pass a white van on the right? There are a lot of tremendous skills you can take from motocross / dirt biking and apply to riding on the street, but ‘winning’ isn’t one of them. I always view it as you better have a really good reason to pass someone on the right; sort of a last resort and I see it as a ‘defensive’ measure.
    There have been some harsh comments directed towards this guy, but I hope he sees through that to the intent behind them which are basically cautionary tales. My bottom line is he made a series of mistakes that were the result of an attitude while riding on the street that will cause this situation, or a worse one involving an innocent bystander, to happen again. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  14. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is reassuring. I found his entire attitude to be fraught with hazard. I think I have seen other videos of his where he makes 3 or 4 moves per block that go against my instincts.
  15. Deanman

Deanman Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...but his riding sucks. Any competent rider would have simply slowed down rapidly and avoided the crash.
    He's pretty glib about the whole thing too.
    Weird.
  16. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please don't go making more videos. It displays arrogance and ignorance.

Option D, of course. As others have said, the situation could have been avoided.

If he had backed off and stayed backed off he could have gently used the brakes to scrub off enough speed to tuck in behind the taxi….. it would not have taken heavy duty ABS stopping power.

As it is he seems to have decided he has "enough power to get out of trouble".

More than enough power to get into trouble, is more like it.
  17. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Wow! A lot of folks here have a pretty severe case of "keyboard warrior" syndrome, either that or they're just plain rude. Either way it's not constructive.

To the OP (or the creator of the video) - I reckon you/he know where you/he went wrong (long before you posted the video here) and I reckon you'll (insert personal pronoun of choice from here on in) know what not to do next time - because there will be a next time - it's one of the few certainties in motorbike riding :)

Well done for having the guts to post that video, with commentary here. I'll assume you're not stupid, and you're certainly not a noob so you must have known the reaction that you'd get from some folks. My guess is that you're sitting back and chuckling at the huge over-reaction, indignant outrage and "moral high-horsedness". And, if you're not, you should be,

In summary - a successful troll. Bravo that man.
  18. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend °.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.°.

Oddometer:
    The creator of the video has quite a few videos on youtube of his reckless driving. He has a channel and his poor decision making has garnered him a lot of attention and views. I guess that's what he wants.

But, after watching him bomb down a public road at 150 MPH, I have no sympathy for him and only hope he doesn't hurt an innocent bystander with his antics.
  19. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    I tried to watch it but all I can think of is how much he sounds like this dude, and how much I'd rather not be listening to him :rofl

[​IMG]
  20. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    i disagree. i think it is constructive. it might be harsh, but not nearly as harsh as ending up dead--or killing someone else--due to riding like he does (out of ignorance, arrogance, or whatever).

constructive points for him in a nutshell:

1. never ride a bike you are not comfortable with emergency braking/maneuvering on in a city or anywhere else there is traffic and/or a high likelihood of surprises. find an empty parking lot or something and ride it there until you are comfortable.

2. get comfortable with emergency braking and swerving on any bike before you do anything else with it.

3. never assume anything about what someone else is going to do.

4. never decide to intentionally put yourself into a dangerous situation front of you just to avoid the random possibility of being rear ended when you have no specific reason to think you will be rear ended.

5. be aware of traffic around you. not knowing where a van you just passed is is not good. you should know where it is. you have to pay attention to stuff like that.

6. if you are going to try to get through a tight space like that...which should be an absolute last resort and not done unless it really is the only option...get the f' on the gas and get through it RIGHT NOW.

7. you had plenty...i repeat PLENTY...of time and space to just slow down (without stopping or even mashing on the brakes...and even without ABS) and just not catch up to the van.

8. when you do something stupid on a bike (like you did), own up to it. realize and admit afterward that what you did was stupid, be thankful you more or less got a away with it, and don't do it again. that is how you actually learn from this...not be rationalizing/justifying your stupidity. that just sets you up to do the same stupid shit again.

trust me, i have done some stupid stuff on a motorcycle, too. afterward, i thought to myself "wow, that was really stupid. why the hell did i do that?" but, instead of rationalizing to answer that question, i answered it simply as "because i was being a complete idiot...glad i had dumb luck on my side this time" and then i didn't do it again--because i know the only reason i got away with it was dumb luck which cannot be counted on.

i'm glad the guy did not get seriously hurt. i hope he actually learns from his mistake. but, given his rationalizations, i'm not so sure he really learned anything. that's sad. and it may get him--or someone else--killed one day.