Bought a Harley - why, why, why!!!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by tri650, Mar 27, 2012.

1. tri650

tri650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Friend asks, "So you bought a Harley".
    I reply, "Yes I did".
    Friend says, "So how do you like it?".
    I reply, "Well, the suspension sucks, brakes are bad, low on power and it's really uncomfortable. And one more thing, It's leaking oil. But, other than that I love it".
    Friend says, "Awesome" - thinks to himself, "What a dumbass"

For some inexplicable reason I went from sport touring bikes, sport bikes, adventure bikes to a Harley. Found an 02 Road King in great shape and low miles and felt the need to do something different. I started with Harley's back in the early 90's and then graduated to real bikes. Way too many posers and the whole cult thing was too wacky for me so I had no problem leaving the Motor Company behind in the 90's. More about dressing up pretty than riding.

Did a 500 mile road trip over the weekend through some of the finer roads in Missouri - 19, 8, etc., with lots of twisties. Lugging this pig around a turn is a major ordeal - heavy, slow to respond, bouncing and wallowing all over the place. I was worn out by the end of the day. Way too much work. These things go in a straight line - period.

After 3 weeks of ownership wanting to get rid of this thing and back on a sport touring bike. Will probably take a hit but really don't care at this point. Need to find a nice Sprint GT or another VFR.

If you are seriously looking at a Road King disregard everything I just said above and buy mine. Great deal - and I'll even throw in a quart of oil for when you need to replenish on the road.
  2. rotten

rotten LOST AGAIN

Oddometer:
    Nothing converts Gasoline to noise with out the benefit of horsepower like Harley Davidson. :D
  3. RottVet

RottVet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This bike sounds like the average American- overweight, dull, and drinks too much!:rofl. Should be easy to resale! Good luck!:D. ( BTW , I am looking at an RK now, wanting to buy an 09 or newer.)
  4. uraberg

uraberg whosaberg?

Oddometer:
    Trade plus cash?

I've got an 07 sprint ST ABS. Eats up the miles like nobodies business. Straights, turns, whatever you throw at it. Comfortable, flickable, good on gas. Full luggage, does two up camping for a weekend just fine. Everything always works, nothing has ever broken, certainly does not leak.

I figure its worth about $5K, so how about your road king plus $5K of your cash?

:rofl

J/K man. I love this sprint. I know of no bike that could replace it.
  5. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just made the same move from bikes you did, but ended up with an 06 FLHT std.
    I am having a whole different experience with mine though. I do miss wheelies, going through medians, over curbs etc., but I am almost 50 yrs old so I thought it was time.

What is the air pressure in your rear shocks? My 06 has adjustable air shocks on the rear, I assume your RK does. Maybe you are set up for 2-up touring instead of solo riding. I am digging my plush ride and that is coming off a long travel DR650 suspension.

Oh well you tasted the kool-aid and didn't like it. If you have any T-shirts to get rid of send them my way, no assless chaps though :D

One more thing, did a pre buy test ride not reveal all of the bike's shortcomings you referenced?
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    These machines have legitimate uses in todays vehicle traffic atmosphere. If your priorities do not include stopping in quick confidence, high level of acceleration, any level of cornering ability, they are very good machines. If you plan on doing alot of freeway touring, they definitely should be on your short list. If you want to wear your American pride literally between your legs, this is your one and only option, nothing else need be considered.

Steve
  7. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Makes riding a challenge; Like it should be! Them sports bikes work waaayy too good??
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today is only Tuesday. Just sayin':1drink

p.s. I have a Sprint GT demo with less than a 1000 miles on it... PM me for details on a fly and buy.
  9. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never understood Harleys. I got hung up on the stereotype, and that stereotype does NOT fit me at all. I feel out of place in a Harley dealership. I prefer textile over leather. I wear all the gear all the time. I'll ride in 20 degree weather if the roads are clear & dry. I'll ride in the rain now and then for fun. I like dirt roads. I hate the idea of a trailer queen. Overly tanned former MILFs with fake hooters don't do it for me. So I just never really understood Harleys.

Until I rode one.

The only Harley I've ever ridden is owned by my brother. He's got a Fat Bob. In 30 seconds on his bike, I understood why people buy them. They're comfortable. Loads of torque. The sound can be good, depending on pipe selection. TONS of ways to customize them and make them your own.

The ride on the Fat Bob put a smile on my face. A very different smile than I get with my Dorsoduro or Brutale, but a smile nonetheless.

I may never own a Harley, or maybe I will someday...can't say for sure. But I can at least appreciate them now, and that's a good thing.
  10. Worroll

Worroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go for the Sprint GT. I've had mine for 2 weeks, only put about 3-4 hours total on it so far, but it is amazing. Best bike I've ever owned. Handles as well as my ZX14, but feels like it tracks easier with the longer wheelbase. The powerband is incredible. It's 3 cylinder is def the best setup for a road bike. It's got the low end of a 2 banger, but it keeps pulling up high. I wanted more of a tourer, but didn't want to give up the handling that a FJR/C14 does. This thing is perfect.
    And the side cases are huge and super easy to mount/unmount.
  11. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    Why would you take a hit on it? Harleys seems to sell like mad, and this time of year it would sell easily I would think?

I dunno, I've never owned a Harley or even had the itch to have one until I test rode a Fat Bob just for the heck of it one day, and now I own one. It's much different than what I'm used to but it's easily one of my favorite bikes. I do think the older ones were down on power a bit, my 09 runs like a champ.
  12. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have an ad in the flea market?
  13. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    That'll teach you to do dumb stuipd stuff! :D

Got a link to ebay, craigslist or the bikes for sale fourm here for your bike? Some folks might know other buyers that are gullible.
  14. tri650

tri650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, they are an acquired taste. It's hard coming from a long list of Japanese and British bikes back to the Harley. If I would have stayed with Harley I would not have known any better. Now I do.

It will most likely be in the flea market after I get the oil leak figured out. I won't sell a bike with an oil leak - even though the guy I bought it from had no problem not mentioning this fact. Depending on what the dealer says I may go after him. I don't care how stupid you are you know when your bike is leaking oil. Especially if its a Harley. Maybe they just assume you know that already.

I like the Sprint offer. How about I give you $10K and the RK just to get it off my hands?
  15. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Victory?:evil
  16. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tri650, are you sure its an oil leak? When i got my electra 3 weeks ago I had a leak also. Turned out it was gear/transmission oil coming out of the clutch cable adjustment fitting and running down to the frame rails looking like a typical oil leak.
    A clogged vent hose was the only problem causing pressure and the fluid had no where to go but up the clutch cable. Cost $0
  17. OldPhat

OldPhat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A Harley may not be for you, a Touring bike may not be for you either.
    There is a lot of motorcycle manufactures out there, maybe you should have tried a GoldWing.
    They don't leak.
  18. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oil leaks from the newer bikes like yours are really pretty rare. I'd look at fluid levels first. It's surprising how many techs will over fill during a service... Good luck with the sale.

Edit: Another thought, some guys remove the head breather tubes that are supposed to vent into the intake tract, add a piece of hose and vent to the atmosphere. (or the ground whichever comes first) You might take a squint at the breathers on your heads.. Good of you to track this down so the next owner doesn't need to.
  19. nskitts

nskitts Long timer

Oddometer:
    A newer Harley leaking oil is not common, that issue was pretty much solved in the mid-eighties and now only exists in perpetual bashing threads.

:norton
  20. gymply

gymply Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Well said. :clap:clap:clap