Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    You couldn't even convince centre stand, with many posts. If you had caught him at a light what do you think the best case scenario was?

Wondering

I had some idiot chase me down because I apparently cut him off. He pulls up and says "you should be careful who you do that to". I just said is that a threat he replied "sure". So I said " so you chased me down for miles and now are making threats" you should leave. The cops aren't going to be on your side.

It's only a traffic violation escalating it to a confrontation by chasing people down is silly and illegal in most jurisdiction
  2. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    Assuming you are talking to me, I don't care about a best case scenario. When I got done, that's one person who would think twice about trying to bully a cyclist again. In fact, I'd go so far as to predict it would be the last time the jackwipe did it. That's all that matters.

Over the course of the day, I went way out of my way to be courteous to other motorists, often inconveniencing myself for their benefit. I also spoke politely to pedestrians, other cyclists and a bunch of old timers sitting on their porches. I do not suffer assholes lightly though.
  3. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering how you could possibly be sure that you could convince someone when there have been posters on this thread that you haven't been able to

I just don't understand the mentality of trying to catch someone, what happens if they drive dangerously again. Isn't it better to have them way in front?
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    If you're riding your moto in traffic and someone intentionally sideswipes you what's your reaction?

M
  5. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    I don't need to be sure I can convince anyone of anything. If the ass chewing I give them dissuades any of them from brushing another bicyclist, then I have done some good. If it causes pause for anyone to think to themselves, "the last time a went asshole on a bicyclist, I thought that crazy bastard was going to punch my window out" then I have succeeded.
  6. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:

:thumb

Curious about the cam because the angle was great, but I'm far too much of a luddite for any of that.

The bike caught my eye as I can no longer deny having back "issues" and the geometry of my L00K isn't helping; for that matter, my mtb hurt me last year...

Looks like you could swap out for some cyclo cross tires and be good to go!
  7. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would report them as a hit and run to the police. Although I don't think that occurred in the above as there was no contact.

If someone intentionally cuts me off. I get away from that idiot.

If someone was already willing to almost hit you when you hadn't done anything what makes you certain they won't try to hit you when they think that you are going to punch out their window?

Seems like you are putting yourself in the dangerous position and escalating the problem. Why wouldn't a court see it like that? I am concerned that you are going to get hurt and have no recourse
  8. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    This is what she looks like in all her bastardized splendor.

[​IMG]
  9. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    I am going to be beside the person when I confront them. Unless they can drive their car sideways I am good. How does a court get involved in this scenario?
  10. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    You seriously think a car can't turn their wheel and crush a bicycle ?

The court becomes involved when you are trying to sue them for your injuries. They are going to say that you contributed by chasing them down and threatening them. They will say that they felt threatened and needed to get away. The fact that you have said that you will do it on a forum won't be helpful

I still am not sure that even in best case scenario would someone go from deliberately trying to hit cyclists to realising the errors in their ways, just because they were yelled at and threatened. Most people don't react in that way. Much more likely would be from them to enjoy the fact that you got annoyed and do it again. That seems the actual most likely outcome.

I am not saying it's not normal to feel angry but we have to control emotions.
  11. StriderJim

StriderJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. And when I get past, I wave. I used to be a bicyclist. It's pretty skeery sometimes if you don't know the motorcycle is there until it passes.
  12. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    A mirror, like every other road vehicle has, would help.
  13. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would imply the cyclist would have to actually use the mirror. If they are so clueless they can't figure out somethings behind them, do you really think they'd be smart enough to use a mirror? Look at how many cagers(with three mirrors) never use any when needed.
  14. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    My emotions would be very much under control as I administered the ass chewing, and I wouldn't position myself in a place where I would be in danger of being run over as I chewed the ass. Thanks for your concern.

Anyone who buzzes dangerously close to bicyclists will continue to do so until they are dissuaded from doing it again. That's my belief.
  15. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:

It's funny both the idiot driving thinks they can change your mind about riding on "their" road by threatening you and you also think that you can change their mind with threats of breaking their window.

You are both wont change minds. People don't respond to threats. But it's pretty ironic still.

Oh well , it's hard to convince people so I guess I won't with you. I'll leave it.
  16. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Riiiggghhhhtttt

Whatever you choose to think from behind the keyboard may/may not be reflected in actual reality. AMHIK

M
  17. ozmoses

Oddometer:
  18. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

Hmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRMf6HftCzM

19. ozmoses

Oddometer:
    Came across this gem:

<a href="<iframe width=" 560"="" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hqR9WEivbyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">"><a href="<iframe width=" 560"="" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hqR9WEivbyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hqR9WEivbyI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  20. RedShark

RedShark Long timer

Oddometer:
    The comments section on that is pretty telling - about half just complain about the annoying bike riders and how they don't stop at red lights or whatever their gripe is - most ignore the woman in the wrong, next to a sign telling her not to park there, getting mad at being asked if that was her car - I mean, how DARE HE speak !

Pointing out someone's error in public, in America can be a dangerous thing anymore as so many people are so completely self-absorbed that ANY hint of criticism is now met with an onslaught of denial, rage, and nuttiness.