Bye bye beast, which thumper?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mrjemm, Oct 14, 2004.

1. mrjemm

mrjemm Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer:
    My KTM 950 must go, not getting the use it deserves. I want to cry. Oh how I want to cry, it's been my dream bike.

I'm moving down, but not sure where to. I'm doing more commuting now and just get days out around here (Aberdeen). The weather's getting cack and yet I want fun.

Looking at staying trail style, but... KTM 400sc or DRZ400 or TTR600. However, am also tempted by supermoto- KTM LC4640 or CCM 644DS- wheel chance possible maybe.

Please help this broken down, broken hearted guy. I really need help to get through this... Jem
  2. Godders

Godders Crazy Pom in Aus

Oddometer:
    wait for the new honda supermoto coming out next year to Europe......very nice
  3. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    CCM has gone out of business so you may want to stay away or suffer from zero parts availability. If you only plan on road use, try a KTM Duke II or a KTM 660.
  4. gorgopodaros

gorgopodaros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Owing both 950 and 640 Adv I can assure you that the 640 Adventure is the closest you can get to your beloved 950.

(In some points actually 640 is far better)

And having motard wheels on it is something done before and is quite easy bolt out - bolt in job... so you can have 2 bikes in one.
    And if you get a small tank, well, then tou can add an enduro bike in your collection.

Whatever your choice, enjoy :freaky
  5. Trevor_George

Trevor_George Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Then you want a nice little F650GS or Dakar :D

There's quite a few guys from Scotland on my 'memberlist' of the UK & Ireland F650 owners group

The GS or Dakar will commute, or hit the Scottish Trails whenever you like, return 70 miles-per-gallon, and keep you grinning. You'll soon forget about your BIG KTM when you realise just what fun the F650GS/Dakar is, and just what it will do. :lol3
  6. mrjemm

mrjemm Clumsy Oaf

Oddometer:
    Thanks so far, but...

I heard CCM is back in action and trading again so hopefully things may not be so bad for parts.

The 640 adventure is a lovely critter, but finding a 2nd hander in my budget may be a challenge and commute mileage may be criminal on that too.

When I tried a BMW 650 before, I found it a bit wheezy and revvy, not much low-down feel. Am I wrong, was it a bad example perhaps?

Next year's too long... would that Honda be the one with the Dommie engine?

Cheers, Jem
  7. Ninjak

Ninjak Sasquatch

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain. I am selling my beloved 640 Adventure R to get something smaller and lighter.

I found a beautiful, bone-stock KLX400 (DRZ400 with green plastic) that I think will do the trick. These are great short-distance commuters and handle briliantly on the trails.

The thing I'm having the hardest time adjusting to is less power and torque, but the light weight helps make up for it. It's just a little wheezy off the bottom. I figure a pipe and jetting will help that some.

The best thing about the DRZ line IMHO is the huge aftermarket support.

Good luck
  8. Trevor_George

Trevor_George Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not in my experience, but the early F650GS had quite a high tickover speed which made riding on tight trails a little *awkward* sometimes ... cluch slipping required. :wink:

However the new twin-spark F650GS from '04 onwards has a much better low-down response and will lug and has noticeably better torque response around 3,00rpm and upwards. :thumb

Cheers ... Trevor., Bristol, UK. UK & Ireland F650 owners group
  9. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    Take the F650GS Dakar for a test ride. Might not be what you are looking for, but the bike is really, really, really, did I mention that the bike is really fun on the street? IT does okay in the dirt, but it is more of a street bike than a dirt bike. It really rawks as a commuter with a top case. A test ride is free and only an afternoon. :dunno
  10. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Visit www.thumpertalk.com for a lot of info on the DRZ and a whale of a lot of info specifically on mods. To open one up modestly only amounts to a re jet, a 3 x 3 and a Yosh (etc) pipe. It makes a world of diff. Heck, I just piped mine and the thing's much more powerful. The only power problems I have are on urban freeways where I"d like more power on tap at 70 mph speeds.