2012 KTM 350 freeride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bikeaddict, Oct 18, 2011.

1. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    AGREE:jump
  2. vander

vander full-time dreamer

Oddometer:
    Then your bike is the OSSA Explorer. :deal

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731796
  3. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
  4. NONo443

NONo443 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it. Hopefully the new line drives down the cost of current/older KTM's even further.
  5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Anyone find a price on this yet?
  6. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't have a big bike, hell I don't even have two bikes. Right now I just have a WR250X that started life as an R. I've ridden it all over the damn place, 30k miles since I bought it new in January 2010. Some of that is exploring the woods near my house, some of that is running the ORV trails that are about a 3 hour ride each way away from home, a lot of it is just plain commuting, and some of it is loaded up for 3 week camping trips (my gear weighs in around 40 pounds total btw)

The only thing I'd change on it is the weight, much much rather have something 220 pounds when I ride a through the woods over the 300 pounds of my WRR. Hell at 220 pounds I'd be tempted to try an enduro or a hare scramble and such, which is something I'd expect the Freeride 350 to handle just fine for my not-quite-C-class riding skills. But if it can also run relatively smoothly and with similar comfort to my WRR on the street too? It suddenly becomes the perfect dual sport for me.
  7. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  8. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Think you're thinking about things in too narrow of terms. When I was living up in the PNW, Bobo-Boogie and I used to regularly take off on our 250F's with a couple of backpacks and go riding/camping for a few days. Much different than the type of rides we'd do on out XR650's. Don't think it's crazy at all that someone might want to do what skierd is proposing. Powering heated gear wouldn't be a driving concern for me, but I don't know how/where he rides. But if it means he doesn't have to stop to do this every few miles, I completely understand. Any way you slice it, this bike is appealing if you are looking for a lightweight bike to do some technical riding with. Hopefully it's street legal and more on the maintenance schedule of something like a WR250R/X or a Honda XR than a MX-based racebike. If that's the case, I'd be thrilled with the 20-whatever horsepower this thing is supposed to be putting out. Recently bought a 2010 450XCW that I just finished getting all dialed-in, but new Freeride 350 looks like it might be the bike I've been waiting for.

[​IMG]
  9. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:

Throwing a back pack on and disappearing into the woods is one thing, setting up for extended touring is another.
    But eventually someone will make a bigger tank for it, maybe even me if it comes to the states.
    I can guarantee that the sub frame is light weight, not intended for load caring.
    The gear box will be low ratio trials like, although it does have a 6 speed, so maybe ok for short jaunts on the street.
    However the ignition will be powerful enough to power the EFI, so should have some extra juice.
    But bottom line is if you buy one, you can modify it anyway you want too!
    Its just that I do not believe the bike as designed will be a good starting point for what skierd is looking for.
    The WR250R, which he has was designed for what he uses it for.

bundy
  10. Maurizio

Maurizio 2 smoker

Oddometer:
    http://www.ktm.com/it/freeride/freeride-350.html

7,250.00 euro in Italy.

Compare it to € 8,595.00 for the 2012 690 Enduro R or € 9,250.00 for the 2012 500 exc.

Not cheap, but not too expensive.
  11. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is e start right? Looks like a good bike to add to the stable. The wife can ride it while I am on the KLX and I can ride it........ (when she isn't looking :rofl:evil)
  12. Agent2

Agent2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7,250 Euros is $9815 if the website I did that on is correct. Real nice bike, if plated would be perfect, but a little pricey if thats what it would go for here.
    But feel free to double check those numbers.
  13. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think your conversion is in line, but I was comparing it to the bikes he listed and their US prices, so I am guessing around 7-8k. Still spendy, but I thought $4k was a ton of money when I bought my KLX 15 years ago, and these seem like a huge upgrade.
  14. modeselector

Oddometer:
    Depending on seat height - may be the best girlfriend/wife bike available, and a damn good excuse to buy one:deal
  15. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
  16. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
  17. mxbundy

mxbundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to KTM North America, there are no plans to bring the Freeride or small-displacement Dukes into the U.S. for the 2012 model year. But hopefully, these great entry-level bikes will, in time, find their way stateside.

THIS IS A MISTAKE ON KTM`S PART!!!!!!!
    They are missing the point.
    The market is ripe for this bike, especially if they would cross market it to women!

Bundy
  18. modeselector

Oddometer:
  19. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:

they should be good.......butt i dont think we will get them and if we do they wont get the ADR approval from the fun police

and the tank looks to small :D
  20. vuugti

vuugti Pretty much...

Oddometer:
    KTM seems to be going down the same road Honda did. Dealers on the east coast are being stuck with tons of these big bore 4-strokes noone wants and KTM is not providing them with enough of the units they can really move. Hopefully, they reconsider the freeride and duke. Most likely just keep pushing the same huge adventure bikes and street machines that just don't move.