I'm going all the way up to Deadhorse next year

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by nuttynu, Oct 3, 2012.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Zero.
  2. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have spoken to someone who camped a few kms outside DH. Personally I would not do it, too cold and the chance of polar bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    TravellingStrom
  3. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    morethanone you have mail. Ad is post 706 in the sticky for pic of the bike
  4. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    It can't be tht cold camping out in dead horses in July ...? I'll. bring my gun in case of bears or wildlife ...
  5. Girthy Knobkers

Girthy Knobkers Running on reserve

Oddometer:
    Check with the guys at MotoQuest, they may have an older style KLR for sale that you could buy, beat up, and choose what to do from there. Shoot maybe even a new style?
  6. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    As Kevin stated, you can't camp in Deadhorse...the cops will run you off because of concerns with polar bears, so unless you plan on shooting the Trooper to secure your camping spot, you'll have to head south. The problem with heading south is there's NOTHING to act as a windbreak, and if the wind kicks up to 40+ mph (which is regularly known to happen) yes it can be that cold in July.
  7. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    And here I was thinking that "Zero" would be clear enough for just about everyone..... Guess not. :huh :lol3
  8. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Zero huh ?!! Man that stinks. Why don't designate an are. Guess I have to book a room that's going to cost $100 just for one night!! Man that's a shyhigh
  9. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Well you don't have to stay in Deadhorse at all unless you want to. Ride to Deadhorse then head back south to Coldfoot or at least until you find a suitable camping spot. If Alcan Rider ever pops-up on the forum again, then he will be able to give you the precise distance from Deadhorse to the first camping area, along with pictures and the nicknames of the local bears and squirrels. But he seems to be away on some sort of sordid trist with Maggie. Come up for air Jack.
  10. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    I heard about 5 miles north of cold foot , there's was a camping place. Will read milepost for info
  11. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    There are many more spots, much further north. Basically you want to get south of Ice Cut.
  12. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for Trees to throw a tarp up in for rain shelter, or firewood, you have to be south of the Chandalar Shelf just north of Wiseman. If shelter from wind and rain are not an issue, and plan on cold camping (no fire), then anywhere south of Franklin Bluffs that you can getoff the road, out of the Pipeline rightaway and fairly level and dry for your tent will work. This means parking the bike in the ditch and walking out into the tundra as there are very few (as in less than you can count on 1 hand) pullouts and side roads to leave the road on. KHud is right, if you are looking for a nice KOA approved campground w/ firerings and picnic tables your in the wrong galaxy... thats a road far, far away... As stated many times in this section, best to plan on camping around Coldfoot/Wiseman, then make a day run to Deadhorse and back to your camp.
  13. NorthernBoxer

NorthernBoxer Fükengrüven

Oddometer:
    This is what I did this year. Camped at BLM Marion Creek Campground near Coldfoot, which does have picnic tables and fire rings (and free chopped firewood, by the way), and I did the run up to Deadhorse and back in the same day and camped there again. The ability to do this depends on the weather and road condition of course (I lucked out on both) but coming back over Atigun Pass in the beautiful late evening light was the best part of that ride.

It's cool to say you went all the way and all but Deadhorse is no place you want to hang around in. Unless you like spending $200 to sleep in a Conex in the middle of an industrial park. If I do the Dalton again, I will turn around at about pump 3.
  14. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Awesome great info guy.!! Yes I want to reach the top of the world !!!'

Young and wild
  15. TravellingStrom

TravellingStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I camped at Coldfoot for free except for the cost of a nice meal and beer

Did the Deadhorse run in one day, 5 hours up, 2 hours for a poke around and 5 hours back

That saved the 170$ room cost and the arctic sea tours only run at 8am and 5pm but who needs to see water. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers
    TravellingStrom