CJ Designs Tank Leak ?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Two Moto Kiwis, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your reply, I could have started softer but after emails to Cj etc, trying to fixed it prior with NO fuss off the forum and having the rest of the shit dealt to us by the bike failures from Mr KTM950SE - Alfred, I was in no mood to start being nice again.

Right now all I want to do is accomplish getting things fixed so we can get on the road again and contribute to OC with my knowledge of KTMs.

Ay least the air is cleared and thank you for your last post, I learnt from this when the shit tank is overflowing probably better to step away and let the level of shit subside enough to make a softer post.

Now ... to deal with the lying previous owner.
  2. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Wow 2MK,

I'm surprised you don't already know CJ. I thought everybody in the worrld who owned a 9xx had already called his business office to ask about a product... having CJ answer the phone personally and spend a good 45 minutes offering up solutions that didn't always get directed toward a sale... simply getting to the truth of the situation.

For those others out there that have never dealt with CJ before, he is a pioneer in 9xx aftermarket solutions and improvements.

Yes he is a very small operation, but a very effective one. He is a top notch individual and goes completely out of his way to satisfy his customers... at great expense to his personal life and free time, for sure.

Just my own personal list of positive CJ 9xx customer service would itself make a long lengthy post. And I live completely across the country from him, with no real ties, and no exorbanent budgets to exhaust on 9xx parts like others.

I'm just an "everyday" guy and budget minded rider. But CJ treats me and other 9xx owners like VIP's. Because he cares about 9xx owners, adventure riders and his customers.

For those out there that don't know much about his products, they are great!!! I'd recommend perusing his website to get acclimated to high quality, high tech parts for the 9xx, like the awesome clear clutch covers, hardened waterpump shafts, customized clutch oil jets, two into one collectors, etc, etc, etc.

I do have a personal story about CJ and his fuel tanks.

I saw CJ at last year's Bend KTM Rally. I previously had several short talks with him over the phone about his fuel tanks and when they were going to market. CJ was taking his time to give them the proper R&D. When I saw him at the Rally I tried to talk him into selling me one of his prototype tanks he brought in on another bike, which was probably going to just sit around collecting dust in his garage later on. CJ made a point that he wouldn't sell his prototype because he wanted to make sure he sold the new production line which he deemed to be the most solid choice.

That's just CJ... more concerned about the end result then making a sale.

Just my humble 2 cents worth...
  3. GSingWI

GSingWI Long timer

Oddometer:

+1
    Couldn't agree more! Very well said ^^^^
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Good post DesertSurfer

We do know of CJ, our bike has many CJ parts on it which was one of the bigger drawcards for buying the bike, unfortunately most of the cool parts are being sold to pay for epic repairs :cry

I too am a small business owner in my professional life and I am more than well aware of going the extra mile too, we are lucky enough to be a on a 2 year RTW trip as present.

We (Ellen and I) have been caught between a rock and three hard places having trustingly bought a bike from a fellow ADVer through the Flea Market and to be honest we have been taken for a HUGE ride with fairly epic amount of work being needed toasting our pocket, our time schedule and faith.

We are on a budget and we have now spent our "just in case" pot on this bike only to need to spend reasonably big money to repair it as well, thus everything we paid for in extra farkles we are having to sell just to fix it, be fair to say I have gone past my gutted point and grumpy point.

Anyway, we chatted last night, I have sent our payment for shipping to CJ and booked it in to his shop to take care of it.

One more thing taken care of, now to deal with the next pile of shit.:huh
  5. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Craig is a Very Good (And Patient) Man to deal with. Its good that he is repairing a tank YOU didnt purchase from him. Most companies do NOT warranty an item that was resold. So You got lucky
  6. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    I think your sole purpose was understood by everyone you wanted it fixed for free.

You cant look at a weld at tell it will hold or not. Xraying is the only way.

You are lucky CJ is a true step above because frankly he owes you nothing.

You say your done being nice cause somebody did you wrong, karma will end up biting you in the end. Careful
  7. grinns

grinns Semper Fi

Oddometer:
    If you need it for temp, JB weld might work (two part). I know it holds up against oil. I don't expect it would cost much for a local welder to weld it up. The worse part is its a fuel tank.

Good luck!
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Without knowing all the facts Bonehead you make some bad assumptions but thanks for your input anyway.

I wish we could, unfortunately (fortunately) the tank has no damage whatsoever.
  10. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    To hear that you are having so many problems. From the DRZ's to the poor decision to purchase the SE for an around the world bike. I would have expected the SE to have some issues. That bike is purchased to be thrashed off road not handled with care. On the other hand, I would be pissed if the bike showed up the way it did, all dirty and s$%#. Good thing it had good farkles that can help with the repairs.
    CJ's water pump kit is set for 20k. and ++ for CJ and the and out on the repair.
    Good luck from now on out.

Plus it wouldn't be an adventure.
  11. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Hey 2MK,

Just saw your post on the condition of the delivered SE you purchased, thats giving you so many problems...

Though I'm saddened there are individuals out there who would falsely advertise the condition of their bike, in a desperate attempt to unload their problems onto someone else...

These people exist, everywhere in the world.

Just don't loose sight over the good ones for the sake of the bad ones.

And once you accept the fact that ultimately you're held responsible from here on in... the sooner you'll be able to file this one under "lesson learned".

Now, somebody please tar and feather that crazy seller of the dirty SE.
  12. ThisWayHome

ThisWayHome Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tone of your response is totally inappropriate given the situation. Please save it for YouTube commentary.

13. Rockcat

Rockcat LDA

Oddometer:
    You do realize this was 6 months ago?