Bike that scooterist may like

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wannabe1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.iheartscooters.com/CafeRacer_Wolf_Review.pdf

Other than SYM being the manufacture of the above linked bike (SYM wolf classic 150) it really has no relation to a scooter. It does though have an attraction to it that may appeal to some scooter pilots wanting to move up/over to the bike world. It reportedly gets scooterish mpg from its 150cc four stoke motor. It is lightweight and shouldn't intimidate newbs, women, etc. Is affordable and for those not secure enough in their manhood to pilot a scooter it will give you the cool retro bike look. The true scooterist would have to give up storage and learn to clutch and change gears :eek1
    I currently own a yamaha zuma 125 and have no current desire to buy one of these, but just thought I would post it over here to see what you guys think. I also cross posted in "thumpers" but I think the SYM name and 150cc doesn't appeal to many. My local SYM dealer has one on the floor, but I have never paid it any attention. Next time I go in I will check it out.

The good news out of this is it appears SYM is finally back in business in the US with a growing network of dealers.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw this several months ago at the Sym Dealer in Marietta. I drooled all over it. I doubt I'll ever buy one but it sure does look cool and I'm sure it would be fun to ride.

[​IMG]
  3. emmettken

emmettken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah,I like it.I remember when there were lots of smaller bikes being sold,by the Japanese companies,over here.
  4. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I had a Honda 175 scrambler back in 1970.:D
  5. emmettken

emmettken Long timer

Oddometer:
    My buddy had one of them. I had a Yamaha 360 enduro.
  6. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I later had a Honda 360 scrambler as well.
  7. emmettken

emmettken Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  8. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    $3000 for a Chinese 150cc is going to be a tough sell. Why didn't they make it a 250cc ?

It looks really pretty, but just not enough engine for a motorcycle.
  9. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SYM is a Taiwanese company.
  10. emmettken

emmettken Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:

I'd be curious how many states have a cut off at the 149 cc mark, or a 125cc mark for permiting/plating/insurance.
  12. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, but yea 250 cc is the sweet spot for small bikes. 150 cc is alright, but not enough IMO, espically on a bike on account the manual tranny. If your a city or just want to ride mostly around town with some backroad cruising it's great.

The downside to this bike is it's 149 cc. Yea you may be getting some insurance discount or whatever. BUT, you can't ride this on the freeway legally. BUT, of course, you CAN EASILY get away with it!:evil If it can only do 65 MPH whose gonna pull you over? 65 MPH in a 65 MPH? Yea right unless you ride like an idiot.

Although its not meant for that. Just sayin.

Definitly neat little bike. Surely don't feel or ain't nothing like a classic Honda, but its got the looks!:thumb
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I checked one over closely at the dealership. 1970's Japanese lightweight without needing a time machine. Slap some trials tires on it and it should kick ass in the tight woods trail bikes of 1976 category.
  14. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode one at a semi-friends who has a SYM dealership...(currently have a I have BV250, a Symba, and a Passport). It's pretty cool. It has semi-clip on's but feels just right and fits me, 5'9". Fit and finish isn't quite current Honda quality but it is pretty high. All around it's a hoot to ride. To me Sym, being Taiwanese, is leagues ahead of mainland Chinese stuff. They seem to sell a lot of scooters in the US so getting parts for their motorcycles, of which they admittedly don't sell too many, shouldn't be a problem. If I didn't have a bunch of small bikes already this would be a contender for sure.
  15. maddiedog

maddiedog In dog we trust

Oddometer:
    Most states the cutoff is 49ccs...

If I could go back to another bike, I would either buy another Honda PC800 (1997 or newer for the modern front forks):
    [​IMG]

Or get the new BADASS Honda NC700X:

[​IMG]

:eek1

Damn, just look at that NC700X. I would fuckin ride that thing to hell and back. Gorgeous. I'd want a silver one with foglights like the above, but a bigger windshield and bigger side panniers.

I love both of the above because they have integrated storage. The PC800's seat flips forward to show two storage areas (each not quite big enough for a full face helmet), and the NC700X has a storage area behind the fuel tank that holds a full-face helmet with room to spare:

[​IMG]

You likey? :evil
  16. Moat

Moat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. boarderx5294

boarderx5294 n00b

Oddometer:
    i have been working around a lot of bikes over the past few years. I've sold a couple of the worlf's and stopped working with CCW. the wolf is a classic looking reliable bike that honestly shifts like a dream. it is a bike that will get you a lot of looks. although the engine may not be as large as the CCW the Taiwanese bike is far superior in my opinion. when one fellow showed up at the shop with tha misfit, we managed to take it around for a spin. the front end was loose and the forks came from the factory with a slight bow in them. the breaks felt off and the front end just didnt feel right at all. with the chinese engine, getting it tuned properly is a bit of a hassle and a job that is not set for the beginner mechanic. what looks to be a shiny metal cover on tha misfits engine is in all actuality a pretty cheep piece of plastic. now back to the wolf. SYM has been working with honda for about 30-40 years, building engines and small motorcycles,.the engine on this thing is built to beyond common expectation. along with this i can honestly say it is one of the smoothest shifting bike i have ever dealt with. for $200 less it is a lot more bang for the buck
  18. ScootTour

ScootTour Long timer

Oddometer:
    To me a scooter is simply a motorcycle with automatic transmission and nothing more.

With some of these scooters coming out lately its really shattering the wall between the two worlds. I am just waiting for someone to come out with a dual sport scooter.

Next generation might not be asking 'do I want a scooter or a motorcycle' they might be asking nothing more than 'do I want manual or automatic'
  19. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never understood this big distinction between motorcycles and scooters. If it has two wheels and an engine, that's what's important.

Besides, as our population ages, more and more people will think of scooters as those "personal mobility deathtraps" sold by the scooter store.
  20. vader1

vader1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd much rather have the SYM Wolf 250ni or known as the T2 in many countries. I think it is a cool looking little bike, but if the 150 is $3K then I doubt SYM would get the 250 priced well enought to compete with the $4k Honda CBR 250 or the Ninja.

[​IMG]