The road to Frankfort WA

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by BlackdogADV, Jul 17, 2014.

1. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I set out to find Frankfort near Naselle WA on the Columbia River.
    http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/wa/frankfort.html

Ghost towns, lone grave sites and ruins are what I target. I heard about this place from my elderly neighbor, she took a jeep there in 1975, a couple of people were living there then. According to google earth and my GPS I got within 5-10 miles of it. I was stopped by gates that were recently installed by a timber company but possibly there are other routes. On google earth you can see roof tops so it still exist.

I heard that they open the gates for hunting season, I have the timber company's contact info so I'll find out for sure.

If you have any info on this place let me know.
  2. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Mind sharing GPS tracks please? Would like to try to find another route...
  3. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use a Zumo and I can't do tracks but I'd be more than willing to send you a map. Basically, I tried getting there from highway 401 and 4 but everything was gated. I called the forest management company and the gates will be open the 13th of October. You'll be able to get close but it looks like you might have to hike the last 2-3 miles. It would be very wise to wear a hi-viz vest as that will be the start of hunting season.
  4. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Yea, map and the attempted route with marked gates would be great!
  5. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the roads that go from 401 to Frankfort are gated at 401. I'll wait till October when they open and attempt Frankfort again.

[​IMG]
  6. Marine By Choice

Marine By Choice Sergeant 0311

Oddometer:
    You might inquire at the courthouse in South Bend, WA. They might have old maps to Frankfort.
  7. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    O.k. dammit, you've got me hooked. Looking at Google Earth and an old version of TOPO, with an older Metzger map for reference, I've worked up a good gps route to Frankfort. The route to Camp Brix is more difficult to pin down but a couple of ways look promising. I'll work on those more on the return from the MT1000. The distances are not very long, under 5 miles, so I might just take the mountain bike into Frankfort. Maybe. I'll post up here when I'm certain we won't spend too much time wandering around during hunting season. Dave
  8. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you go as I might be in the area. I have a vacation place on Puget island.
  9. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:

Also, you can get to Brix Bay by taking Oneida road. It looks like it passes through Camp Brix. I took Oneida road to the end but never seen anything that looked like a camp, it is a cool road though.
  10. gorilla2891

gorilla2891 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give me a heads up and i would love to roll...
  11. tomasv

tomasv Check the Czech!

Oddometer:
    Same here - if anyone created GPX tracks let's share them and we can update as we attempt. I usually go on a weekday with short notice depending on the workload...
  12. Lake Cle Elum

Lake Cle Elum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've never found a gate I couldn't get a dirt bike around :1drink:1drink:1drink
  13. Jmack13

Jmack13 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the best way to get to Frankfort is simultaneously the simplest to figure out and unsurprisingly the most dangerous. Don't know that it's worth your time, however. There's really not much left to be honest and if you DO plan on going the logging road route, you will end up very very close to the original townsite and run into a locked gate because it is private property and there's a dude with a cabin out there who I believe uses it for fishing and so on. It's near an old barn-like structure that is small and built above a creek, a picture of which can be seen in the "Ghost Towns of the West" book written by Lambert Florin in the early to mid sixties and which I am sure everyone on here is familiar with. I was there in 2010 and being that I am a young un' (22 at the time) I figured it was now or never if I wanted to make the arduous trek out there. If anyone has any questions about it, I could fill you in, but like I said, being that it rains about 300 days a year out there, there's really not a lot of structures that can survive that type of weather without constant maintenance and the lush arboreal verdance (heh heh) has pretty much taken over the area. One more thing: If I went out there, I would be really freakin careful about not only the trespassing thing, but the wildlife. I saw a large coyote that was laying dead out there in the woods not a mile from the townsite on the river side and it had been absolutely mutilated by (what I assume judging by the area and the wounds) a black bear. Maybe going out there alone wasn't a stellar idea either. Just a thought.
    -Jason