CRF450X thread.....

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by zzlejeune, Apr 16, 2010.

1. zzlejeune

zzlejeune Wanna-be Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did a search for another CRF450X thread, but none showed up, so I figured I would start one......

I recently purchased a 05' CRF450X with a Baja Designs dual sport kit, with some extra aftermarket parts, but pretty much stock. I had a 02' XR400R, I miss it terribly, but it had no title, so I didn't feel like going through the hassle. But I have to admit, the power is night and day between the 2 bikes, that 450X is silly fast.

I really wanted to find out from other CRF450X owners about the certain "issues" with the bike.....

Issue #1: This is my first "new" CRF I've ever owned, so is it normal when the header looks like its going to melt, when its just sitting there warming up? That bad boy is HOT!!

Issue #2: Everytime I seem to stop for a bit, the bike will start spewing coolant from the overflow line, I do have aftermarket radiator guards on it, will that affect the cooling when just sitting still? It does seem to act pretty normal when riding.....

Thanks ahead of time for any input..........

The bike...... (Sorry, crappy phone pic)
    [​IMG]
    WinterRidingDreams likes this.
  2. zzlejeune

Oddometer:
    A pic of both the bikes, I sold the XR, regret it now......

[​IMG]
  3. desertridernm

desertridernm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like your X is jetted too lean. Have you checked the spark plug? I've got an 06' that never overheats and gets put through it's paces at 6000' ft. elevation up some fairly steep hills and deep sand. Try a JD Jet kit and get it dialed in. These bikes are beasts in the desert with significantly more power and better suspension than a XR-400. Don't look back!:lol3
  4. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    I have an '05 with a Trick Dual Sport kit on it, plated in Ohio. The only time I've ever over-heated was in a few stuck-in-mud-in-90-degree+ temp situations. Even then, I've never blown any coolant out the overflow tube. BTW, I'm getting ready to sell my 450X. Would you mind sharing how much you paid for yours? I'm trying to figure out how much to ask for it.
  5. zzlejeune

Oddometer:
    It is backfiring some after it idles down, which takes forever, I believe the PO installed a bigger jet, but replaced it with the stock one, I do plan on getting a JD jet kit for my Colorado trip coming in August of this year. I also purchased a flex jet kit, which allows for "slow" jet adjustment, so maybe that will help also.......The suspension is awesome on that bike, it can practically climb a hill by itself.....Thanks for the advice, I'll get that JD jet kit on order.....
  6. zzlejeune

Oddometer:
    I paid $3900, I think KBB was $3590 when I bought it, it was clean and street legal, so I didn't bother haggling...
  7. jgunsett

jgunsett Goin' Coastal

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was going to ask $4000, which includes the Scott's Stabilizer, so it sounds like I'm in the ballpark.
  8. r00t4rd3d

r00t4rd3d ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    If thats running so lean to the point of over heating and blowing coolant out the overflow , I would not start it till the jetting was worked out. Unless of course you want to buy a new top end for your new bike.

Has your pipe been red hot ?
  9. zzlejeune

Oddometer:
    Oh yeh, super red hot, like spit on it and it flies off, that kind of red hot! I talked to some guys who race the CRF450R and they did mention the header getting hot, but I doubt its this bad.....
  10. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Like they all said, Not normal, get the JD jet kit. You are going to end up blowing the head gasket, or worse. you think its fast now? wait till you get it sorted out.:eek1 Also you need to run 1 full qt. of oil in the trans side , not .7 the manual says. I use engine ice coolant, helps in the slow going trails.
  11. Mo-Tarded

Mo-Tarded Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    zzlejeune: Also, you do realize you can't just start the bike and let it sit there idling like the XR correct ?

IOW: How long is "just sitting there warming up" ?

The bike will warm sufficiently in ambient conditions (50-70 deg F.) in 2-3 minutes easily. More than that is probably overkill.

After ten (10) or so minutes with no convection through the radiators (depending on outside temps) you could be close, if not in the overheating range.

"Silly fast" is a good thing. Like going "hyperspace" in Star Wars.
  12. zzlejeune

Oddometer:
    I was worried about the top end going, so I did limit my riding in its current state of disorder. I was warned a couple of times about the "effects" of slapping the proper jetting in it....:lol3 I run Water Wetter in my track bikes, and I was wondering if it would be ok to run in the X.

I did try to not let it sit long without getting some airflow across the radiators, I would probably say around the 8-10 min range, so I was probably pushing my luck, and even then it would die out once I turned the choke off, I had to constantly play with the idle screw.

I will settle for "hyper-space" speed, just as long as it doesn't hit "Ludicrous" speed, then my face may rip off......:D
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  13. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    If you really want the best info, not wives tales, go to CRfs only.com. everything you need to know.
    Lewilewi likes this.
  14. zzlejeune

Oddometer:
    I frequent that site pretty often, they even helped to deplete my checking account some.....:D

Their how-to articles are handy, and explain mods very well, I even tried to wrap my first header, just for the hell of it.......

[​IMG]
    Lewilewi likes this.
  15. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Red hot is actually quite normal for a thin-wall header - most modern 4-strokes actually do this. It won't usually be red when you are riding due to the airflow I guess, but at a fast idle it'll glow. No worries (and definitely don't go and try to jet the bike based on header temp). If you mess with jetting just jet it so that it runs the way you want it to run. Also, you needn't worry about hurting the top end with jetting - it isn't really possible (note how most all non-MX bikes come lean from the factory, but virtually none cook themselves?). I think back way before I was born motors were poorly made and had to add extra fuel for cooling - they weren't able to run at an optimal mixture (which generally would yeild peak EGT). Technically, a lean mixture will actually reduce temp, but most folks are rich so leaning might increase EGTs, but you needn't worry. Again, just jet it so it runs well.

If you care, the first thing to go from high EGTs will be the exhaust valves. The head gasket doesn't give a crap what EGTs you like (though sitting around for 10 minutes without moving might be pushing your luck with coolant temps). It is normal for it to overheat when stopped. Unlike street bikes and cages its cooling system only works when the bike is moving (no fan). It isn't made for being stopped and running.

The CRF is a fantastic, high performance bike, have fun with it and don't worry so much (but also don't treat it like a cage and leave it idling forever!). :clap
  16. zzlejeune

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice and info........the header did look normal under riding conditions, and the bike performed well under throttle, it just doesn't like to stop for long...:D It definitely is set lean, so I'm looking forward to getting it properly jetted and running well. Plus the jet kit will come in handy once I'm up in Colorado for our trip, since I'm about 26' above sea level here....:lol3
  17. Sturgell

Sturgell Urban dirtbiker

Oddometer:
    For engine longevity I would jet it rich to help keep it cool since it doesn't have a fan and every little bit helps.
  18. Jono777

Jono777 Adventure? Yes, Please...

Oddometer:
    Definitely jet the bike properly. It makes a big difference in how the bike runs. I too have a CRF450X, and love it. I'm in Southern California (0-6000 ft), and have a mostly stock bike (stock exhaust, stock motor) and am running a 165 main, and 45 pilot; but I did take the "snorkel" off the top of the airbox underneath the seat. Also, if you don't have one already, get an adjustable fuel screw. I run Engine Ice coolant, and it seems to help keep the bike cool. Enjoy your new ride...
  19. zzlejeune

Oddometer:

I did purchase a Flex-Jet also, and still waiting on my JD jet kit. The stock jet (142) is what is in the bike now, the PO had a couple of extra jets that he had tried, a 145 and 148, but judging from everyone else's settings (good setup info on CRF's Only), I'm probably looking at needing a 160 or close to it. It still has stock exhaust and header and I'm going to do the airbox mod this week, plus draining the coolant and replacing with Engine Ice, so hopefully by the time I get the jet kit in and installed, she'll be ready to fire up!!

Unfortunately I've only ridden the bike twice, due to the poor jetting....:cry
  20. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:

So you're letting the bike sit for 8-10 min on enrichner, bumping the idle screw so it will run without throttle? This is a sure-fire recipe for glowing headers and an overheated bike.

I suspect there is absolutely nothing wrong with your bike. You need to start it up and as soon as it will take throttle, start riding gently. Get it off the enrichner ASAP.

- Mark
    chopper13 likes this.