Ultra Light Batteries

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by herrhelmet, Oct 17, 2010.

1. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    FOR A LIMITED TIME... ORDER ANY 8 CELL OR 12 BATTERY AND GET A FREE CELL BALANCE / VOLTAGE TESTER ($12.95 VALUE )

Just mention you want one on the ordering instructions on the site. 10% Discount coupon KOTW still applies too!

[​IMG]
  2. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    HH
    Thanks for the quick shipping. Bought it Tuesday, received it Wednesday and installed it last night. Bike starts strong. Let's see how it performs over the rest of the summer
    Groop
  3. fastbikedroid

fastbikedroid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just placed my order. Look forward to dropping it in !
  4. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim

Being electrically challenged, I have to ask these questions... sorry.

Most of my rides are multi-day adventures... 1 week to 3 or 4 weeks in duration... mostly bush camping. I usually recharge my headset (Sena SMH10) and bluetooth hub (Sena SR10) at the end of each days ride via a cig plug in my tank bag. Sometimes charging my iPhone too. These gadgets take anywhere between 2 & 4 hours to recharge.

Will the 12 cell AM012 handle the draw for that period and still have enough oomph for the morning start?

Ignore my recharge question for a moment.
    Whilst out camping, desert mornings are often an icy affair - 32deg F or 0deg C (even colder sometimes) - will the 12 cell AM012 fire up the bike in the morning? Removing the battery to 'warm' it up or to keep it warm overnight is not a practical solution for me.
  5. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    Hi, it will most likely start the bike with no problem. Possible it could take 2 or more pushes to self heat the battery. Turning lights on will also warm it if necessary.

I can't answer whether charging your small devices for 2-4 hours would affect the battery, but I would test it before you go out. I set up a small portable solar panel for mine and also charge them while the bike is running. These batteries are designed for starting purposes only.
  6. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Jim :thumb

Anybody out there got any experience with recharging small devices at camp via a Li-Iron battery?
  7. road hammer

road hammer have map will travel

Oddometer:
    Hey there. curious as to why after many pages of this thread that the battery has changed from the ballistic to the SYCL battery? were there issues with the ballisic? it all seemed so rah rah, the bomb, wicked etc.etc.
    thx.

ps. not really a noob, just a new handle, or maybe that makes me a renoob, kinda like being a virgin, again.
  8. herrhelmet

Oddometer:

What was your handle before? No major problems with the Ballistic. It's just that they had personnel changes and couldn't deliver product at the same prices, so I found the original designer/builder who now makes them for us. That's why they look almost the same. Prices are lower too. So, Sycl was a direct dealer of Ballistic batteries and they chose to dump all the direct dealers and go with Parts Unlimited. Ballistic has been honoring any warranty issues, which luckily have been few and far between.

I will say, however that the Sycl Balance charger we sell is not only much cheaper, it is much simpler to use than the Ballistic one. The batteries have slightly better finish, and so far perform identically.
  9. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    Hi,

The items in blue are ON SALE until October 31st....!

[​IMG]
  10. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant

Oddometer:
    I just replaced the stock regulator/rectifier on my XR650L with a Shindengen fh020aa MOSFET unit. Voltage at low idle is 13.75 v and at higher rpm the voltage stabilizes at 14.25 volts. The stock unit charged at almost 15 v... within Honda spec but excessive even for AGM batteries according to a number of knowledgeable folks here on ADVRIDER.

Your ads suggest that my current charging voltage range with the new MOSFET R/R is appropriate for SYCL batteries... OK to order an 8-cell unit with this revised charging voltage?
  11. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    The 4.6 (8 Cell) will work great. They come with the Balance / Voltage test port that you can zip tie to your frame and test without taking the seat off.
  12. isgila

isgila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank Jim. The batteries have arrived.
    7days to Singapore. Excellent.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  13. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    Bump. They are on sale PLUS the 10% off code KOTW2012
  14. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    Sale ends Halloween and we have just 7 of the 4.6AH Sycl batteries left. They come with balance connectors and the free balance / voltage tester for $99 plus the KOTW2012 10% discount coupon.

We will be stocking a new type of battery soon with similar pricing as before. The black shrink wrapped ones will be available in limited quantities for streetbikes and racers. The new batteries will be more OEM specific and will have a battery finder on the site. (finally)

Thanks to all.
  15. advdoctor

advdoctor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If i understand it correctly, if you have a digital clock in your trip computer, it will need to be disconnected for any extended period of dormancy. Ideally this would be thru your quick connect unions. Is there a more economical connection that may be not so quick? Could you utilize just one for the positive pole if not intending to fully remove?
  16. herrhelmet

Oddometer:

Yes, that's correct. Most cases the draw is so low, it could be months before any real voltage drop, but to be safe just disconnecting one of the poles would be fine. Careful to wrap the end with electrical tape to protect from shorting.

I can make a quick disconnect on just the positive connector, pm me if interested.

Thanks.
  17. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is really a pity... If only they could juice few small devices like phone or satnav...
  18. dang

dang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It really depends on what load and how long. Having a small load on these won't affect their ability to deliver amperage one bit. All you'd be doing is getting in to the capacity some which would show up as a voltage drop. Most cell phones are single cell lithium at 3.25 nominal volts and around 2 amp hours. That's only about 10% of the 4.6Ah Sycl. Getting it in to the phone efficiently is another question. Those cigarette socket chargers can be pretty barbaric.

I just charge my crap while I ride and don't worry about it. My Garmin pulls about 200 milliamps so even if I forgot and left it on it would hardly touch the 4.6 after 10 hours.
  19. ridin gaijin

ridin gaijin riding > posting Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi--quick question: which of the batteries is most appropriate for a 955i Sprint ST? Thanks.
  20. herrhelmet

Oddometer:
    PM sent. The SYCL AM12 is the current model.

A site update is coming soon with a much needed battery finder and new product. Basically we are going to feature a new line of direct OEM replacement batteries that will include Battery Management built-in to the batteries so you will not need any kind of balance charger.

They will be the only ones with the built-in BMS available on the market and will be priced in the same range or less than all the competition.