Lovingly restoring the worst bike I've ever ridden.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Mullet5, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Cereal KLR

Cereal KLR Wall of Sound Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Mullet!

Glad to see your back here. Give us a call or a drive by here at the old building.

Jim in San Mateo
  2. Renegade_Azzy

Renegade_Azzy Kamen Rider

Oddometer:
    maor thread
  3. wvtaco

wvtaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I forgot about this. It's great!
  4. nirol

nirol n00b

Oddometer:
    it's great indeed.
  5. Incredulous

Incredulous Peanut Gallery Supporter

Oddometer:
    [emoji101] How is it going?
  6. Mullet5

Mullet5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yo! I owe you all an update, and this isn't it. I have been working on the Minsk a little here and there, as time allows. I am on to the wiring portion now, and it is really... something. So far I have discovered that red = ground, and everything is a complete disaster. I will write a proper update as soon as I can, with pictures of my wiring nightmare.
  7. scmopar

scmopar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    😊
  8. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does it involve release of the magic smoke at any point? :D
  9. aaqilkhan253

aaqilkhan253 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just read through the entire 40 pages and I love what you're doing Mullet. Keep us all updated! :1drink

btw....seriously thinking bout touring Vietnam on a bike as well....please post some pics from the trip if you can :clap
  10. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast

That would mean he would have to dredge up the likely long lost memories of his also unfinished ride report that we've been waiting for for years. :amazon

Don't hold your breath for your own well-beings sake. :lol3
  11. aaqilkhan253

aaqilkhan253 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hah good point :lol3
  12. moparnut

moparnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ran across this thread a couple of days ago. It has taken me a little bit of time but I read through the entire thread, and laughed my ass off. One of the best threads I have read in years. Keep this project going, when you are finished you need to write a book, with many illustrations especially with baking soda! I was telling my wife about this thread but when I was telling her about the soda blasting incident I was laughing so hard I had tears running down my cheeks and couldn't finish.

I, like most of your followers have taken on a ridiculous project or more at some point in our lives. As to mine, most were never finished or never worked or were dangerous at best. Just as my wife about the brush shredder I built from scratch. She still loves to tell the story about the time when the disk with the knives went flying across the yard under it own power.

The only experience I have had with a Russian product was a SKS rifle but that's a hole nother story.

Keep up the "good" work, lovin' it. We're all behind you, where it's safe. :rofl
    kk
  13. popeface

popeface Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread myself as well. I started reading it, saw the original date (2010), figured it must've been long since finished and I wouldn't be able to join in on all the fun and snarky comments. You're lucky you stripped and repainted that frame way back when you first started the project, otherwise that Russian steel would've rusted away to nothing by now. My first car was an old Mercedes that (I think) was made with the same Most Glorious Metal Alloy of the Motherland... The rocker panels and floor were so rusted out that you could see the bottom of the seat from outside the car because I sat in it wrong one time.

Anyway, loving the entire debacle... Makes me feel a little better (and more motivated!) to get on with the Datsun that's been eating up my garage space for the past eight years.
  14. fire88dog

fire88dog CaptainStache

Oddometer:
    Come on Mullet, give us something this, glacial pace is slowly killing us all.... I might have to go to find a POS to beat the bloody hell outta myself!
  15. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    :scratch

http://www.mapsofworld.com

Request granted. :lol3
  16. Mullet5

Mullet5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know, I know. There's two problems:

1. I seem to be unable to turn people down when they offer me work, and that always gets in the way of Minsk progress. This guy's 1989 911 Turbo Cabriolet needs a tune up... Sign me up! That guy bought two Rokons that don't run... I'm in! The Rokons are almost done now, waiting on some parts.

2. I am a bit stuck on the Minsk at the moment, the wiring really threw me for a loop. I just need to put my head down and figure it out.

Fun fact: I finally found a bike slower than the Minsk... The Rokon! The Minsk won't float, though.
  17. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. motobella

motobella Avventuressa

Oddometer:
    Mullet, I'm not sure that taking on ill-fated projects is to be apologized for, as that's what got you into this mess - I mean, singular endeavor. What should we expect, for you to be all practical and ***t? No, I'm pleased to call you my friend - you make disasters (oops - again, I meant challenging projects) fun. You're the best. Onward!

p.s. I second the finishing your Vietnam ride report request. There are surely many more smashed chicken and cornering-on-the-Minsk wipeout stories to tell.
  19. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    Minsks and now Rokons? I'm in.

Pics of the Rokon! :deal
  20. aguim

aguim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I'm Bulgarian peasant than working at Minsk on cultural Exchange, 1978 orso.There was no
    color codes whatso ever on the wire, duh. We took the harnest from 1976-77 abandon tractors, one guy
    only was always stupiddrunk und fix that. So good wishes plus countakt me if disposable, please not.
    SRR and Marco Moto like this.