The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. redsport

redsport Adventure Is Out There Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Lux version, lefty as well. It is a very nice gun. I haven't decided yet if I want to scope mine.
  2. DMZ

DMZ Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer:
    I scoped my 452, but given that it has some of the best sights on any rifle, and that it is a rimfire, I pulled it off. Lighter, funner to shoot.
  3. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:

I've got to stand up for the Henry. This pic was from the rimfire thread in 2011. I have still not had a missfire and have fed it everything.Luck mabee because I shoot a bunch of bulk ammo and am second guessing some of my other guns blaming ammoe.

A quote from my post two years ago. I tried to make it fail shooting everything out of it even my truck shells which is a mix of everything. It shot everyone without a hiccup.

[​IMG]
  4. NDEBT

NDEBT Long timer

Oddometer:
    After reading my post I realized that mabe it is because it is the only .22 I clean after every time taking it out:lol3. It is a beautifull affordable gun that has ties from watching old westerns when I was a kid and is makes it so much fun to shoot. I love autos but a bolt or lever or pump action lets you enjoy shooting IMO. Plus it is beautiful.

[​IMG]
  5. worldrider555

worldrider555 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great looking gun, I may still have to buy one someday. As luck would have it I found a nice Savage mark ii for sale locally. Going to pick it up later for $100, seems like a good deal to me.
  6. redsport

redsport Adventure Is Out There Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about a Marlin 336 30-30 for deer hunting. Any good or bad experiences with this model? Looking at the youth model for 2 reasons: compact size would work well in my tree stand, and so it will fit my 9yo better for starting him shooting.
  7. RonS

RonS Out there...

Oddometer:
    They do make a nice firearm.
  8. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Marlin 336 is a good lever action - better IMO than the Winchester 94 (a rifle I grew up with) and the .30-30 is a good all around cartridge.
  9. ouray rider

ouray rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I work at a commercial range 30 hrs a week. I have not seen a single Solo work yet
    Cant say anything bad about the rest of the Kimber line though.

10. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    I own one of the older models, but the standard 336C none the less. I shot with some handloads, a two shot group of 1/2" with iron sights at 50 yards and a 3 shot group of 1" at same range.

Mine is not pretty - the furniture is cheap. It's MUCH easier to fit a scope to the Marlin due to the solid receiver top - no funky offset mount required. The cartridge is a classic and is easy to load yourself if you want - I use the Lee factory crimp die set.

Mine came with a solid butt stock, make sure you fit a recoil pad for your boy or he'll get a good flinch - it's mild compared to an '06 but still, it boots ya.

Now, there are rumors about the quality of current production models, but I don't have anything with which to back up what I've heard. Used one are easy to come by - I was at the Cabela's near by and they had probably a dozen in the used gun racks. I bought mine used many years ago, still one of my favorites to take to the range.
  11. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I shot both of my deer with just the gun you describe. The sights suck but if you are looking at one you probably aren't taking any long shots. 30-30 gets the job done on deer but you are probably going to have to track the animal a little ways even if you get it in the boiler room.
  12. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I have never seen a solo but have had probably 12 Kimber 1911s and all have been excellent. BUT all have been pre-II.
  13. urbancowboy

urbancowboy Vicious Cycler

Oddometer:
    get either a brand new (recent production) one or a pre-remington one. the models made a few years ago apparently had the problems. the remlins.

plenty of used ones out there. enthusiasts like the pre cross bolt safety ones better, but you'll have to make your own judgement if that safety isn't helpful.
  14. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Where is your range? I'll bring mine by for you. It cycles like a sewing machine if you are using 125gr + BRASS ammo.

Throw Tulammo in it and you're going to have problems. Kimber has made no secret of this. I got one of the first ones made, and the information was right there in the box.

Speer makes a 125gr 9mm lead roundnose bullet that runs great for target ammo and practice. I carry it with 147gr though.
  15. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Without data on ammo, whether the gun was being broken in or not - saying that a Solo at a range doesn't run isn't too helpful. It is a pocket pistol and a somewhat unique design that needs to be broken in, so some examples may not work correctly at first.

Saw Hitchcock demo on on Youtube and it worked fine until he tried 115 grain loads and he had 2 out of three rounds fail to function.
  16. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I have to agree. I had a '94. Only gun I ever sold. I made all kinds of noise when cycled and it tosses a spent shell up into your line of sight or worse, your face. A friend has a 336 and I like it way more.

I bought a Savage 170 Pump in .30-30 to replace the '94.
  17. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    That's a load of crap. A firearm should work the first time through the last time, and those shouldn't be the same time. Breaking in a gun should be breaking in the barrel of a rifle, nothing more.
  18. ouray rider

ouray rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [The nickname for this Unique pistol is "the gunsmiths friend" Your life depends on it functioning. Not when it feels like it.

QUOTE=acesandeights;22497869]That's a load of crap. A firearm should work the first time through the last time, and those shouldn't be the same time. Breaking in a gun should be breaking in the barrel of a rifle, nothing more.[/QUOTE]
  19. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    Having spent a fair amount of time shooting guns that my life depended on, I'd say you're dead wrong. I haven't met a machine yet that didn't change performance characteristics over the course of its life. Engines, tools, and even electric motors change over time. Hell, even electrically powered guns change, like the M134.

Follow the logic here.

My truck is a diesel. The manual says to feed it diesel and diesel only. If I put gasoline in it, it will not run.

My Kimber needs a specific type of fuel too. I follow the manual and fuel it with the prescribed load of 124gr or higher ammo. It never fails. Put crap ammo in it, and it will fail.

The concept isn't rocket science. Why would you feed crap ammo to anything with which you entrusted your life?
  20. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    HAHA! you must not be a 1911 guy. :roflplus, any gun benefits from a good break in whether to make it have a smoother action,. or in the function department.