950 Supermoto Chronicles

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wpbarlow, Jul 20, 2006.

1. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    Then I guess it was just the shitty dealer. Never going there again. The only good ealer around htese parts id Cliff's in Norfolk MA. They are awesome. I was trying to save a little time and take it to one closer but that didn't turn out so well.
  2. PFrish

PFrish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have the fuel pump off and I cannot for the life of me get it out of the rubber holder. I feel like I am going to rip it in half if I pull any harder. I tried greasing it a bit and I can get it to rotate but it is not budging vertically. Any tips?

Thanks,
    Pat
  3. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've removed it from the tank already? Are you talking about the "cap" on the top, with the wires coming out of it? If so, start by sliding back the plastic over the wires. It just slides up. This will make room so the grommets on the top arer more free to move.

The cap, itself, is tight for a good reason: To keep water out! Rest-assured, it DOES come out, without tools. Just firmly pull it out, and the sealing edge will come up from the body of the fuel pump.

Post a picture of the problem area you're dealing with!
  4. PFrish

PFrish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good call on photo.... see attached. Thanks for the help. Hopefully attachment worked.

ktm 950 fuel pump.jpg
  5. Cycle_Path

Cycle_Path Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey guys, i think i may have a small oil leak. got an 07 950sm with 7k miles on it. Runs awesome. I noticed now two days in a row in two different spots a spot of maybe 1.5 inches of oil in diameter. Felt around for it and couldnt find anything. Its only happened when kick stand has it leaning way over. Oil spot is to front left area. Whats weird is when I am home it doesnt leak. But I also put kcik stand on a two by four so it sits more upright. I am hoping its pure coincidence with parking in same spot as another bike but in case its not have any clues where to look? Oil level is fine btw
  6. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might be the gear position sensor O Ring in the kickstand area. Part # 26. It happens- needed one on my SM, SE, and 990.

[​IMG]
  7. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    It is very tough to get off- especially now that it's a few years old.. Pry it off the pump a little with a small screwdriver or similar and spray some WD40 in a couple spots. Otoh, you usually don't have to remove the pump from it to change the points.

Top tip if you carry a spare fuel pump-- make sure your spare is already in a spare rubber so you can replace quickly in the field.
  8. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:
    AFAIK, that rubber sleeve does not come off. You just need to take the cap off to renew the points.
  9. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    It does, that's why you don't get one when you order a fuel pump. I've done it a couple times before wising up and getting a spare to go with the spare pump.
  10. PFrish

PFrish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok cool. Thanks for the help guys. I will stop trying to get the rubber off and just focus my attention on the cap. Hopefully Dr. Bean's kit will be here soon and I can be up and running again. The Bean's kit seemed like a simple enough install -- do you all have any tips on things to look out for?
  11. Cycle_Path

Cycle_Path Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm thanks. I checked. It doesnt "appear" to be leaking there. Ill be parking a couple different places next couple days to see if in fact it is me leaking as i have been parling exclusivly in mc slots so far(hopefully someone else)
  12. Chinookmark

Chinookmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not an 06, but close:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003492
  13. Cycle_Path

Cycle_Path Long timer

Oddometer:
    I take that maybe it is it. Finally got underneath and looked and theres in fact oil all over the gear shift lever. I am overdue for an oil change. I'll order this seal and replace and hopefully that does the trick
  14. Garry

Garry Bleeds Orange...

Oddometer:
    Fuel pump #4 shit the bed this weekend on a trip to southeast Ohio. I got 14,142 miles out of this one. Had a spare one in my top case. I should have replaced it in the hotel parking lot last night, but it fully died on the way home today. Luckily the bike will run (badly) on just gravity feed and gentle throttle inputs. Topped off the tank every 60 miles to keep the level higher than the carbs. Made it a couple hundred miles home that way. I guess I'm good to about 75K miles now...
  15. PFrish

PFrish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just installed dr beans kit. Worked like a charm - thanks for the help diagnosing this one.
  16. EastSideSM

Oddometer:

PM me your address and I will look to see if I still have some. I think I have a few in my tool bag. I will drop one of the o-rings in the mail to you if I do. I can let you know later when I am home if you didn't go ahead and order it. I have replaced mine about every 20,000 miles.
  17. EastSideSM

Oddometer:
    Or put some dawn dish soap in between. That worked for me. It is a total bitch to get that off.
  18. Garry

Garry Bleeds Orange...

Oddometer:
    Or just cut a vertical slit in it and use a ziptie to re-secure it. Easy peasy. I've done it a few times...
  19. EastSideSM

Oddometer:
    That is too easy!!!! (Wish I had thought of that, now I know how I am doing the next swap.)
  20. wpbarlow

Oddometer:
    :clap

Your reward

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gWH9HdeVEn8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gWH9HdeVEn8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>