ADV riders in Dakar.

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Mr Kawasaki, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Mr Kawasaki

Mr Kawasaki Sardonios Irritatus

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles:
    42 STREET JONAH KTM USA PAI- RALLY PAN AMERICA
    (???)
    98 KRYNOCK MIKE KTM USA PAI- RALLY PAN AMERICA
    (???)
    99 RAUSEO CHARLIE KTM USA PAI- RALLY PAN AMERICA
    (lastplace) http://www.onewheeldrive.net/ http://www.rallypanam.com/ http://www.usadakar2005.com/

119 MOLTMANN PETER KTM AUS
    (PPiA) http://pete2dakar.squarespace.com/

180 HEATH KEVIN KTM USA VANGUARD/JJE CONSTRUCTORS
    (kevinbheath) www.kevinsmidlifecrisis.com

242 WHITNEY SCOTT /MC DOWELL DUANE HARLEY-DAVIDSON USA HOG WILD RACING
    (Zijspan/???) http://www.hogwildracing.com/

I have all but given up on the official Dakar site for standings information. It seems to change even after the stages are finished.:scratch

After stage 12

20 Street
    89 Krynock

Charlie Rauseo retired due to a dislocated shoulder.
    Peter Moltmann retired due to back trouble. (I can only imagine)
    Kevin Heath retired due to a broken arm.
    Hog Wild Racing retired due to sprocket/chain failures.
  2. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    No way!

------------------------
    Links to the 2006 Dakar American invasion:
    9 Chris Blais - blaisracing.com
    23 Andy Grider - griderracing.com
    42 Jonah Street - rallypanam.com
    98 Mike Krynock - rallypanam.com
    99 Charlie Rauseo - rallypanam.com aka "lastplace"
    132 James Embro - none
    180 Kevin Heath - KevinsMidLifeCrisis.com aka "kevinbheath"
    242 Scott Whitney / Duane McDowell - HogWildRacing.com aka "zijspan"

309 Mark Miller / Dirk Von Zitzewitz - markmillerracing.com
    335 Robby Gordon / Darren Skilton - robbygordon.com
    354 Ronn Bailey / Herve Cotel - vanguardracing.com

642 Robb McElroy + crew - rallypanam.com F350 truck "assistance" support crew.

-------------------
    Bob Bergman is AdvRider "Bobbie", and finished Dakar the hard way (no support) last year.

Peter Moltmann is AdvRider "PPiA".
  3. Mr Kawasaki

Oddometer:
    Yes way! Hey Scott, how's the rig running? I've been following the blog on your website. Good work BTW. Is Duane registered here?
  4. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Duane isn't registered here. Our rig was running great a month ago when we last saw it. Hopefully it's in Lisbon by now, and not at the bottom of the ocean in a sunken ship! We'll know on Thursday when we arrive in Lisbon and see what's waiting for us there. We still have a bunch of work to do on the bike before the race, such as mounting all the GPS and safety instruments. We'll do that in the parking lot at the hotel (thanks Carlos Azevedo for setting that up!). It's pretty interesting seeing all the electronics that we carry:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2131950&postcount=133
  5. Mr Kawasaki

Oddometer:
    I added the Rally Pan American guys (lastplace and friends), anybody else?
  6. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A little background on Jonah Street and my later comments will make more sense.....

Jonah is one of, if not THE most accomplished rider (including Grider & Blaise) from the US going to to Dakar. He's the only American biker there who has led his own Team to multiple Baja/Nevada wins and championships.
    He's a real country-boy (believe me, we know, he lived at our house for quite some time) from central WA state. He's very used to getting by with not a lot and nothing fancy.
    Dakar has been a goal of his for over a decade and he can be VERY focused. I see Dakar fitting his style & mindset to a T.
    He has also ridden for Team Honda and knows what a good bike and good organization are.
    Jonah was absolutely devistated when he ended up 4th in the Red Bull KTM Dakar Rider Search in '04.
    But after the 3 riders were picked and told they were also supposed to race in Baja and Nevada Jonah looked at his being 4th as a blessing as he only wanted to do Dakar, no more Baja or Nevada.

So yesterday I was BS'ing with Jonah.
    He was initially expecting RallyPanAm to be sort of a non-pro half-ass effort but thought "why not give it a go"..... NOT SO ANYMORE!
    He is really excited about Dakar and very stoked on the Team he's with.
    He has not seen the bike or even met Charlie or the others but said the group REALLY seems to have all the bases covered.
    He is completely happy with all the bike-prep discussions he's had with the Team and said he understands everything and all the reasons they have done what they've done.
    The 525's they are racing are almost 3QT capacity of oil and the front end (forks/wheel) are same as the 660's and the rear is modded to use 660 rear cush-drive wheel for less stress on the trans and more parts availability. Very cool.
    Jonah is thinking he is on possibly the best bike for the course when you figure in the 95MPH speed limit and the probability of the course being a little more technical than usual.

Jonah is super happy with how things are going and it sounds like RallyPanAm is doing an excellent job!

Good luck guys!
  7. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Anyone else listen to Charlie's (PanAm) podcast interview posted through onewheeldrive.net? Good stuff!

Good luck to all the ADV competitors. Thanks for indulging us "little guys" in your spare time... :freaky
  8. lastplace

lastplace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks Bajabound,
    Yeah, we had a very short list of potential riders when Pedro got hurt. I think we got very lucky with Jonah. I met him in WA a week or so ago and his attitude reminds me of my brother Dave's. Read Dave's story at www.rallypanam.com and you'll understand how good that is.

Jonah may have confidence in the bikes, but I'm nervous as hell. We got the bikes on July 6 and have been working on them non-stop, every day since then. Given our limited budget, we tried to think of everything, did tons of research, and tested and tested. It helped that, between Pedro and me, we had 3 hammered 660 Rallyes to pick for parts. The NorCal motorcycle community (and many others) absolutely jumped at the chance to help us. We got custom one-off stuff cheaper (usually free) and quicker than we thought possible. I've spent lots of time on a 660 in the Dakar, and I think that our 525 is better suited to what we'll have to face.

Of course, we couldn't test the motors for 6000 miles, but we did all we could for longevity. Mostly keeping the bikes as cool as possible. Keep your fingers crossed for us. If the bikes work, we've already got orders to build some for clients next year. Maybe this will be a way to fund an even better effort next year!

fun fun
    Charlie
    www.rallypanam.com (links to daily dakar updates)
  9. johnson357

johnson357 Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer:
    Good luck Team RallyPanAm and all the other adv.rider folks. Charlie I also posted on your site the idea of selling stickers and shirts or other dakar swag to help fund your effort. I'm sure lots of us wanna be Dakar Racers would love to have something like that and help support the effort too. Be safe and have fun.:thumb
  10. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    fun fun
  11. Mr Kawasaki

Oddometer:

I just thought of something....I'm in for a shirt and a sticker if I see an ADV sticker on the rally bike.:deal
  12. PackMule

Oddometer:

Best. ADV sticker placement. Ever. :1drink
  13. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    Cool tech post, thanks for the info.

Wish the DMV would hand out sentinals... :D

14. dieter von hexhead

dieter von hexhead I made a doodie...

Oddometer:
    great KTM press photos...

Andy Grider...

[​IMG]

Chris Blais...

[​IMG]

Good luck and safe trip to all.
  15. lastplace

lastplace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK
    I'll slap a sticker on the bottom of my skidplate if someone can get it to me before I leave Monday afternoon.
    Charlie
    1938 31st Ave
    SF CA 94116

I'll even take a picture

We have some t-shirts and stickers, but I don't think we have time to send them out. Email robb@robbmcelroy.com if you'd like them. I think they'll be $20 per shirt, but that's up to Robb as he financed them. I apologize if we don't arrange sales before we return.

fun fun
    Charlie
  16. PackMule

Oddometer:

Uh, Admin, could we get a stickie on this? :deal This calls for an all-out ADV effort. We're headed to Dakar! :freaky
  17. Mr Kawasaki

Oddometer:
    My money is where my mouth is. If we get the pic, we can handle the shirt and sticker once you get back. Any advriders in San Fran with a spare sticker?
  18. KTOOMER

KTOOMER ad-vent-ure man

Oddometer:
    based on OLN's stupiidy in scheduling (e.g. 4-4;30 in the afternoons) we will all have to quit early to see these guys...I guess bass fishing or whatever in primetime is better for their ratings then Dakar...
  19. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a large sticker and will try to pull this off. I'm heading to SF for the weekend to my daughters and it's only about 10 blocks away!!!

Maybe about 3PM on Sat

David
  20. Mr Kawasaki

Oddometer:
    www.tivo.com

:hide