Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. Menzies

Menzies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice machines, what brand of wind deflectors do you have on your Scrambler bars?
  2. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    Barkbuster storm handguards, easy to take off during the warmer months.
    [​IMG]
  3. Boola-Boola

Boola-Boola Scramblin' Man

Oddometer:
    Indeed, great math's.

Yeah, Cyl1 0°, Cyl2 270°, Cyl1 360°, Cyl2 630°, Cyl1 720°, Cyl2 990° etc, would sound just like Cyl1 0°, Cyl2 90°, Cyl1 360°, Cyl2 450°, Cyl1 720°, Cyl2 810° etc, wouldn't it. And I did make an assumption as to the direction of crank rotation that may have been bogus.

Hmm, maybe I need to check on the tech manual again. Or, alternatively... Note to self - Focus more on fun ridin', less on analysing. :baldy

:D
  4. Checkers

Checkers Scrambled

Oddometer:
    Wow, my first post on Adv scrambler thread. Just got a '06 Scrambler and loving it.

Boola Boola, you might want to checkout this link:
    http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103

The XS650 hotrodders have spent a ton of effort to create 270 motors from the OEM 360 motors. They refer to it as rephasing and it seems to be condsidered the height of XS650 performance mods. We lucky scrambler owners get the 270 ready to go. :clap

Black Cat, not sure if your looking for new or used. Here is dealer with a new 2012:
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcd/3165402802.html

I had been looking for months for a carbed Scrambler, was getting desparate and was considering driving out of state to get one, when low and behold a great deal showed up 15 minutes from where I work in SF. Keep looking something will show up.
  5. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New rear light with guard :-) used a Landrover Defender rear light, so it is actually a Lucas light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. RMAK

RMAK The Magnanimous

Oddometer:
    Nice light Henry! In fact, a nice looking new Scrambler in many ways. Enjoy!
  7. Boola-Boola

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the thread and thanks for the link, Checkers. That rephasing thread is a good read.

Yeah, I LOVE the Scram having the 270° as stock. I've not ridden a Bonnie, but I think it'd be a more bland rhythym with the 360°.

My second bike after I got my license was a '58 3TA (T21) which was 360°, so that had a plain even beat.

My first road bike was an old '62 BSA 250 Star (C15) single (but with an A50/65 tank, sports fenders and non-cowled headlight, so it was sweet on the eye). I grew to love it so much that I bought the 3TA to save wearing out the BSA on my long-ish daily commute.
    They're both long gone now but, of the two, it's the single that I've missed the most over the years - and now my Scram's 270° 'hoofbeats' exhaust rythym nicely taps in to the fond memory of loping along on that old single.

For many reasons, including that, the Scram is firmly my favourite motorcycle of those that I've had. Definately a 'keeper'.

The years between selling the old Brits and getting the current 'new' Brit (Red/White '08 EFI Scram) were spent with Yam 350LC, 350F2YPVS and RZV500R two-strokes and a KX125A3 and KX500A2 'crossers.

Cool to hear you're loving your '06, Checkers - which colourway is it? Red/Wht or Blue Wht?
  8. b0rderman

b0rderman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Henry!

What happened to the MASS Mohave?
  9. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Change of plans:-) I can now pursue a more endure look and handling since I got the speed triple R.
    No compromise for asfalt and long trips. A black Mojave set is on the list, together with custom paint
    enduro tyres and some other stuff. :-)
  10. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A nice 50 km trip on a gravel road over a small local mountain / forrest.

Nice little lake, no fishing allowed doe..
    [​IMG]

Green and quiet when the engine is off
    [​IMG]

Left side picture :-)
    [​IMG]
  11. Cariboo_kid

Cariboo_kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some shots of a 4 day trip through central BC including about 300km over dirt and gravel. Mine's the Tiger but since this is the Scrambler page here are some pics of buddy Dougal's 2010 doing what Scramblers do quite well.

Crossing the Rudi Johnson Bridge over the Fraser River
    [​IMG]

Overlooking Farwell Canyon on the Chilcotin Plateau
    [​IMG]

Gang Ranch Road
    [​IMG]

Kelly Lake Road to Pavillion
    [​IMG]

Ditto
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lillooet to Goldbridge
    [​IMG]

Coalmont/Tulameen Road
    [​IMG]

Overlooking Adams Lake
    [​IMG]
  12. Checkers

Checkers Scrambled

Oddometer:
    Boola

You have a ownership pedigree to die for. The old beezers are some of the most beautiful bike designs ever IMHO.

I bought a RZ350 the first year they were released. I crashed it in the mountains 2 months later, but at least I walked away. I Iusted after a RZV500. Also had a KX250 but was never man enough for the 500. I've built a GS550, Z-1R. GSXR 750. Various CBR900s, A beautiful little Yamaha SRX single. Ducati 916. Yamaha R1. Oh, I also use to race Honda Hawks in the 650 opens twins class up at Sears Point. The tech inspection guys always said my Hawk was meticulous and asked why I always finished last. LOL.

When I told my old racing buddy that I bought a new bike he asked me if I had gotten a Hayabusa! The Scrambler makes a 1/3 of the power of my last streetbike and weighs 100 lbs more and I find myself grinning like an idiot everytime I ride it. It makes me remember why I got into bikes in the first place.

My scrambler is a tarnished red and white '07. When I got it, the tank was dinged by the handlebar switches, the handlebar was bent and the ignitor was wonky. But she ran like a tank. I've switched out the bars, getting the tank fixed and dealing with the ignitor. I cleaned her as she was filthy from neglect. The previous owner thought that general maintenance was defined by copious over use of chain lube, it was a bit of mess. I just pulled the EVAP loss system and will do the AI removal next. Having a blast just honking around. I plan to sneak it out to some of the local mountain fire roads in the near future.

Cheers and thank you for the kind welcome.
  13. Steve SA

Steve SA Gravel Travel

Oddometer:
    My mate Dave had a 'little off' yesterday :rofl. He blamed it on a submerged log.

[​IMG]
  14. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Guys, is there a good Scrambler forum with an extensive FAQ I can read to get up to speed on these bikes?
  15. monks_point

monks_point Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The TriumphRAT forums have some great info on these bijss
  16. optical

optical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, holy crap. I may have to invest in some dresser bars. Glad to see a dirty scram!

So, Triumphantscrambler posted awhile back with his custom rack and asked if anyone else was interested. I was!

So, for less than the cost of a Ventura rack he hooked me up with the frame and I mounted some Pelican cases.

First, the build quality of the rack seems solid. I'm happy. I had no issues getting it mounted on so thanks Nick!
    I had to be difficult and declined the ammo cans Nick used in his original rack. I wanted to mount the pelicans to save some LBS.

I had Nick add a back rest of sorts to mine and it resulted in the triangle you see below. Sadly, I didn't think about the fact the pelican cases' hinge is parallel to the lines of the frame and not perpendicular like the ammo cans. This caused me to have to space out the left side a bit to make the case accessible. No issues though, I don't foresee any problems. If anyone else picks up a rack from Nick, and I suggest you do if you want a rack system, I'd use the 1530 Pelican case on the left side. I used the 1430s which give me ~15 liters of storage a piece. With everything that happened, i'd probably have gone with the 1530 on the left and the 1430 on the right but I'm happy with the two top loaders. The rack itself is large enough and solid enough I won't have any issues strapping anything else like fuel tanks and extra bags to the bike on camping trips.

Anyways, pics of the rack!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Triumphantscrambler's original post: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18945001#post18945001
  17. Boola-Boola

Oddometer:
    Thanks! On looks, I always fancied a BSA Spitfire Special, or Hornet :evil. Or a 441 Victor.

I can't claim I was - I'd always short-shift the KX500 just before the powerband, it had that much grunt that staying entirely below the p/b was manic enough! Could never manage to leave self-preservation instincts behind in the pit area, so was happy if I just didn't finish last:lol3

Cool - Red/White is the sweetest looking IMHO. No other bike I've had has ever gotten so much attention, either stationary or moving. I'll guess you're likely discovering the same.
    Heck, last week I even had someone calling 'Hey... Yo... Hello!" as they ran down the street towards, with a camera, to make sure I didn't ride off before they'd gotten a close up look and photo's!
  18. paulter

paulter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've really enjoyed all the pics and riding info regarding the Scrambler. So much so, that I've got a strong hankering for one to satisfy nostalgic needs, with modern reliability. A couple of questions: I have seen some late model Scramblers advertised with carburetors--I thought they were fuel injected. What year did the transition take place? Also, are they made in England, or elsewhere? Thanks, Walt
  19. TerryK

TerryK Ulysses

Oddometer:
    2006 to 2008 were carby, then fuel injected, my 2006 was made in England
  20. Steve SA

Steve SA Gravel Travel

Oddometer:
    Can anyone give me some info on this seat? I've been wanting to fabricate a seat with the length somewhere between the original and a solo. Pictured below is exactly what I want to do. If I could just order one it would make life so much easier.

The bike looks like a Jack Pine but with stock fenders I'm not sure if it is - or is it?

[​IMG]