Oil light on at idle okay?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by andmoon, Aug 25, 2006.

1. andmoon

andmoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    The manual says the light should be off when bike is running.
  2. sharkey

sharkey XLV750R

Oddometer:
    NOT OKAY.

Could be low oil, or bad oil, or a worn-out oil pump or a clogged filter, but any way it's no good and you need to address it ASAP. If the oil pressure is too low to light that light at idle, it's very likely lower than it should be at operating RPM.

You've been asking about oil changing ... if you've just changed the filter, note that it is easy to assemble incorrectly ... what they call the $2000 O-ring. The filter element stays mostly the same, but which O-rings you need and which O-rings you must not use depends on the exact model of Airhead you're talking about.

-----sharks
  3. jtwind

jtwind Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer:
    Sharks has got it right. The oil light should never be on when the bike is running. Shut it off immeadiately and figure out the problem. If you just changed oil it's probably there. They don't call it the $2000 o ring for nothing. The orientation of the gaskets, o rings and seals on different airhead models is confusing and the way it came out of your bike doesn't mean that way it's supposed to be. Lots of articles about this on the web, and in the books and manuals, do some searching. Here's one.
    http://www.airheads.org/content/view/189/49/

JT
  4. sharkey

sharkey XLV750R

Oddometer:
    Thanks JT, I went looking for that so I could add a $2000 O-ring link, but got distracted and never did find it ...

Andmoon, if you need any encouragement to park that bike until it's sorted, read this thread about a guy whose DR650 was sounding a little tappety and running a bit hot but he rode it home anyway:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160617

Taxi to work starts to sound pretty cheap, eh?

-----sharks
  5. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    could it be a oil pressure switch on its way out?
  6. andmoon

andmoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not starting off well on this forum....It's the generator light I thought was the oil light.:shog :shog :shog
  7. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    (heh, join club!)

Still shouldnt be on when bike is running, but the potential penalties arent nearly so high. It should glow at idle, but should definitley be out by 1500 or 2k rpm or so.
  8. lkchris

lkchris Albuquerque

Oddometer:
    Very normal to mistake charge light for oil light on BMWs.

Very normal for it to glow at idle.

But, it must go out.

And, if it's burned out the charging system does nothing.
  9. andmoon

andmoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. Light on/flicker below 800 rpms...goes off anything above.
  10. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    You're not the first.

Just glad it's not your oil light. For your sake. :-)
  11. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    don't feel bad &moon-- it happens to more than just cycle afficianados:

years ago i was tooling along in my aircooled VW Vanagon, and there was a hell-crunching racket from the engine room, followed instantly by the oil light on the dash jumping into my face. I just knew my motor (well-known for throwing rods, catching fire, etc at high mileage) was toast so like a good airhead i killed the ign instantly and coasted dead-stick into a parklot. Had the Bus towed to my parents garage, and began making plans for a full motor rebuild.

Next week i had had all the new motor parts and wrestled the dead engine out. Put it on the engine stand and started tearing it down. When i got to the huge rear fan hub (Datchew will appreciate this), i noticed the bolt holes were cracked. :huh I then realized the fan had started separating from its hub, and that it had thrown the rubber v-belt off itself in all this wobble. I then realized that the red dash light that had popped on when the motor died was actually the alternator light. Yep-- fan belt jumped its pulley slot and the charge light dutifully told me there was no more charge. It was not the oil light at all.

I proceeded with the rebuild and got to learn a helluva lot about aircooled VW engines.

Ahh learning curve
  12. Joerg

Joerg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perfect.
  13. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:

First specialty tool I ever bought: 36mm socket

First spare part i learned to start carrying: fan belt. Never needed it. Stopped and donated to others on the side of the road twice though.

he he he.

don't you wish all engines came out with only 4 bolts, a red and black wire, a fuel line and a throttle cable?
  14. andmoon

andmoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tin man the tin....I always bent the tin and rear apron for some reason.