Lobsters to Llamas, Maritimes to Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Kedgi, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard, looks like departure day is this Wednesday:D
  2. gratefulJED

gratefulJED long strange tripper

Oddometer:
    Be safe! This should be a great RR!
  3. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following along.

I just got off the phone with the Kawasaki shop in Amherst, all the spares I ordered, cables etc are in. I think a Wednesday departure is going to work. It's cold here this morning 2C.:eek1 Monday it's supposed to rain a bit but be 18C. I think I'll pick up the bike on Monday:lol3
  4. motor-ray

motor-ray FNG

Oddometer:
    We would love to have you. I wasn't here when Katrina hit but it has improved a lot since then. That being said, I wouldn't go anywhere near the 9th ward! :eek1
    Safe travels. I'll be following along. :lurk
  5. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are in the Houston area and need anything (well almost!) - pm me. Rode my KLR through (and camped in) Amherst last month.
  6. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:

Wow

It's a small world, thanks and welcome aboard
  7. Schnickelfritz

Schnickelfritz pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer:
    Just returned from 4,900 miles on the road myself, one of my students walked in and said two of his friends were paddling and bicycling from Juneau, AK, down to TDF. I come over here to show him a couple ride reports, and WALLAH! You're at the top of the list.

So I'm in!

:freaky
  8. sticky1

sticky1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    subscribed to thread,
  9. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Wow, now there is an adventure. I'm into kayaks too. I have built a few wooden ones in my spare time.

Here are the two I have now.

[​IMG]
  10. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Today was warm, 20C and I went to get my bike from the Duguay's Kawasaki in Amherst, NS. I had a great ride home along the shore.

New chain and sprockets, valves done, new fork oil and seals, new rubber, she's ready. I even had a local welder reinforce my pannier rack. It is a SW Motech and I have had two welds fail. Once in Labrador City and once on a ride around here. So I had gussets added.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I have been reading John Downs excellent ride report about his adventures in Latin America on a Kawasaki 250 Sherpa. He said a lot of people there want to see where you live. So today, I took advantage of the nice day to shoot this picture of mine and Angele's place in Shediac.

[​IMG]

We built it 4 years ago when we moved home to New Brunswick after spending a dozen years in Vancouver

Next door we built this 4 plex, apartment building.

[​IMG]
  12. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    My buddy, Rick, stopped by in his 55 Chevy to wish me well. Nice Car.

[​IMG]
  13. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow I pack.

My bags have been riding around in the back of my van since the day I took the rack in for welding

[​IMG]

I am still working out little details. I contacted Sjoerd Bakker today. He is an inmate here who has complied a book on Economical hotels in Mexico. Apparently Sjoerd lives in Southern Ontario and has been riding in Mexico for 30 years and all the hotels he lists are bike friendly. I just found out about the book and would love to have a copy. I've asked him to FedEx one to a friends place in Maryland. Hopefully FedEx can get it there in time for me to pick it up.

One other thing is I realized both my name and Angele's name are on my registration for the bike. I want to get that changed to just my name tomorrow so it doesn't cause any border hassles.

So many little details to look after when you're leaving for several months.

It is not going to be easy leaving Angele behind. she and I are inseparable normally, she's my best friend.
  14. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard
  15. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    For those of you that don't know, Shediac gets a real Winter, with lots of snow. I won't miss this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I spent the day packing and i'm ready to go. My friend Steve is going to ride a way with me tomorrow and then I'm off on my own. It's tough to leave home but exciting at the same time. My buddy, Bob the Cat is not a fan of packing, he knows what it means and he doesn't like it. He watched me like a hawk all afternoon as I packed things up.

[​IMG]
  17. Fordfixer

Fordfixer Semi Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Travel safe!! Just another jealous Maritimer who will be dealing with the snow sooner than I want too!! :clap
    Bob is just worried about his 2nd,3rd and 4th breakfast every day,plus his daily rub.
  18. Kedgi

Kedgi Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm not a big fan of Winter, after 12 years in Vancouver, where it rains all Winter, it was tough to come back to Shediac snow. Not this Winter, thanks for following along.

Bob is going to miss all the treats I give him. He's going to have to learn to beg from Angele, and I'm sure he will. Bob's a great Cat!
  19. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    dwight, have a great ride and make note of SS in Vzla, if you plan on riding in Venezuela he is the most knowledgeable guy to be in contact with, if you have questions about borders or anything else drop me a PM and i'll help you out...now get those wheels rolling south and i'll see you on the road :freaky
  20. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Following along, as well as with JDowns and RTWPaul, have an excellent trip.
    Up to 18C here today and a little wet on the N/W end of Lake Ontario.