DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mandoo815

mandoo815 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. spen

spen on my arse

Oddometer:
    SWEET :clap
  3. mait

mait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice bike Mandoo. I've seen your vids on youtube.

I am trying to rebuild my SR42 starter with SR43 parts. I've already got starter motor and magneto cover from SR43. I still need to find starter gear number 1 with built in reverse torque limiter. I've asked Lars and Stefan.
  4. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    + 1 sweet .
  5. Fantuzzi

Fantuzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice Bike, Mandoo.

You look happier on the pictures, owning a bike like that. :D
  6. stefan rb

stefan rb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice bike! every time i see it remember for the old rahier : D
  7. the_sad_punk

the_sad_punk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy pilgrims, haven't been about these parts a while, thought I'd drop in and update ye all on me bike. Hope you guys are all still present and correct:)
    Suspected knock after dyno run two yrs. Sat for ehh two yrs and just recently our Dave kindly agreed to investigate so i had at er.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Awesome bike Mandoo and as SH says just like GH's! More pics plz:)
  8. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gidday Colum, it will be good to find out what was wrong :clap.
  9. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    Ah Rob fella, how the hell are ya mate? Long time no pixels, hope you and yours are doing good.
    Yeah be good to finally put the refurb to bed and ride the bejesus out of it.

Hey Rob, if you were ripping the old girl apart would you bother welding up the crank?
  10. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going all right mate , went out riding all day on the tiger 4k on it now spins em good too, hope that little nipper going good .
    Weld up crank definite yes , only needs about 10mm of weld , if yours isn't already done grind with a dremel tool with a small stone a slight V in the pin and the crank 10mm long and fill with a neat weld .
    If already done the machinest will just grind this out to dismantle it by press, you will have to give them the spec,s there in the manual.
  11. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    First I've heard about welding cranks. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention.

You mean to put a bit of weld on the big pin that goes through the crank that the big rod end rides on?

Advantages? Ok, I understand that it will keep the pin from spinning, is this a problem area?
  12. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ray as I understand the first 750,s in 87 didn,t have this but was soon corrected by Suzuki with the weld as standard.
  13. the_sad_punk

Oddometer:
    Nice one Rob, myself and Dave discussed this and hes done it before and just like you describe.
    Have a spare crank so if mine is shagged in it goes.
  14. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Colum , if you use the spare crank check the conrod ain,t bent as spare cranks sometimes come from blown motors that dropped a valve from a snapped timing chain , they do bend .
  15. guzzirelic

guzzirelic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know there are many variables but generally speaking when would you fellows recommend replacing the timing/cam chain?
    I've just turned 60,000 kilometers and everything seems fine but I've only owned the bike since 47505k's. When purchased I checked the sump screen and it was very clean indicating (I hope) that the previous owners kept up on regular oil changes. Mine does have the rattle that I see discussed on this site often and dismissed as "normal" for these bikes.

Thanks for any advice!

Relic
  16. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guzzi, I maybe over cautious and like things pretty well spot on , the cam timing runs 2 to 3 degrees out even with a new timing chain so 80k klm,s for me .
    Every BIG that I have bought I allways replace them and the balancer chain for self satisfaction really, there not overly expensive .
  17. guzzirelic

guzzirelic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Rob. Our season here in the far northern hemisphere is winding down, probably another 4-6 weeks at best and the bike will be off the road however I've no budget for major work this winter. By this time next year however my odometer should be somewhere in the low to mid 70,000's (kilometers) and I'll aim for winter 2015/16 to pull the motor and go through it.
    In the meantime I'll shop for both chains to have them at hand when I'm ready. At that time I'll measure the top end and perhaps new rings (or first over depending I guess). So far she doesn't require any oil added between changes, in fact the level never drops at all.

[​IMG]

Photo from a recent ride to the nearby town of Little Current on Manitoulin Island. The largest freshwater island in the world is located in the north end of Lake Huron, (one of the Great Lakes) and the only road access is across the 101 year old, single lane swing bridge in the background of this pic.
    Relic
  18. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guzzi , sounds like you have a good bike and may have had its oil changes when needed, if it is not using any oil maybe just a decoke it probably still has most of the hone marks still in the bore, just take note as I am curious. thanks Rob.
  19. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    I bought my dr800 with about 58k on the clock with a failed tensioner. I had the valves redone. New rings, chain, tensioner.
    I think it all depends on how it was ridden R pm wise though.

Gord

sent from my Samsung galaxy s5
  20. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my DR tensioner failed at 105+ 000 km. But chain was still in specs.
    On dr800 it is easy to judge chain stretch by how much of adjustment screw left when you setting up chain tension. When you out of adjustment - change.