Riding West Virginia Website

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by pnoman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    I have started a new website dedicated to those riders wishing to explore West Virginia. I frequently see requests on forums for information about visiting and riding around the state, asking for information about what roads to ride, what places to visit, and (of course) interesting places to get good food. With the help of fellow riders, my goal is to make this a Must-Stop online for those riders. Although I am a musician, not an English or Journalism teacher, I will try to keep the writing standards "above average".

The site will be divided into 3 main sections: Street Ride Reports, Back-Roads Ride Reports, and Food/Destinations/Lodging. The Street section will cover main highways and county roads - basically any 2- or 4-lane paved road with a painted center line. The Back-Roads section will cover the narrow paved back-roads as well as graded, govt-maintained gravel roads such as Dolly Sods and the Laurel Fork area. We will not cover trails (such as Hatfield & McCoy or private-access roads) on this site unless submitted by a reader.

Guest contributors are welcome to submit Ride Reports, Photos, and/or Food/Lodging Reports for consideration. Please keep it clean. I will monitor the site as closely as possible to ensure all content is "G" rated. Your help will be appreciated.

The site is still under construction and has some empty spots and links that I am working on. My goal is to go back through my ride photos from the past few years and write some reports while the snow is flying this winter. And, I'm inviting readers to submit articles so that it is a well-rounded site. By springtime, I'm hoping to have a good selection of reports.

Please stop by and visit:

www.ridingwv.com

Thanks!
  2. Guy Young

Guy Young Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice Mike. Look forward to visiting it often... and maybe suggesting a ride or three. :lol3
  3. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. rctr

rctr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great job! thanks for sharing.
    jimmy
  5. WayneJ

WayneJ What?

Oddometer:
    Bookmarked! :thumb
  6. Beemer Bob

Beemer Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in!
  7. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rule no.1!!!!
  8. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    My prediction is the site will become a hub. I'll be checkin in from time to time. Thanks for starting it. There is WV site somewhere that classifies the road surface and it's condition. If you find it make it a link.
  9. travlin

travlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds great! I'll be glad to give some input on the southern half of the state. I've been riding those roads for more years than I want to admit!
  10. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Thanks, folks. Glad to see the positive feedback. I really do want it to be a community project so there is a well-rounded group of reviews. Just because I like something doesn't mean everyone else will. (And visa-versa) And I have certainly not traveled as many roads and backroads as many of you.

So, to make a long story short (oops, that ship already sailed :lol3), please dust off those keyboards and try your hand at writing a report this winter. If you never wrote one, start small - maybe a diner review with a few pics. Please PM me or email me at the site if you have any questions about formatting or writing a report.

Thanks again, everyone. I think this will be a good winter project on those days when it's too snowy and icy to ride.

Happy Holidays to all.
  11. ihatefalling

ihatefalling Let it roll

Oddometer:
    Tho thumbs up..... :D
  12. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice! I just browsed through the site and read your two reports for Spruce knob. :clap

:lol3
  13. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for doing the work. I'm doing a WV trip in early May and can use all the resources I can find.
  14. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Just added: Rich Mountain Battlefield and Hart House - Beverly, Randolph County.

http://www.ridingwv.com/FolderDestinationReports/RichMt.htm

I'm not a historian, so please don't expect a definitive writeup. Hope you enjoy it.

More to come as time allows.

I've got the Photos Page ready to post reader photos. Send me your best shot: mike (at) ridingwv (dot) com. Please - JPEGs only, File size 300kb each or less. Thanks!
  15. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Just added:

Destinations Page - Philippi Covered Bridge

Photos Page - I "primed" the page with some photos to get it started until I receive some photos from readers. (Hint, Hint :D)

Enjoy, and have a safe/happy/Merry Christmas!

www.ridingwv.com
  16. Some Mook

Some Mook Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer:
    Nice!

Would it be permissible for other inmates to include the website link in their own signature lines (in this and any other forum) as a means to 'spread the word'?
  17. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. And "Thank You" for doing so.
  18. norton73

norton73 drinkin' in the garage

Oddometer:
    :thumb

My favorite place to ride.
  19. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    Great idea! Will subscribe.
  20. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer: