Super Ténéré 1200 OFF ROAD preparations and experiences thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by jaumev, Jun 8, 2012.

1. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi, sorry about my Spanglish, I hope you understand it. ::)
    I’m using my bikes basically in off road trips. I change my GSA for a ST looking for a better off road maxi-trail.
    Lots of people say these big bikes are not for this kind of ride but I’m not agree and I believe lots of you aren’t.

The Super Tènèrè thread is so long that I believe this post could be specialized to share information about our preparations and experiences in off road with our loved Super Ténérés.
  2. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I'm starting with the step by step of my bike but feel free to post your experiences!!

All started with my ST just arriving home. Form the beginning I put some used Karoo's taken from my old GSA, a good tire.

[​IMG]

The ST is a very nice bike but it needs some work to be a good off roader. I bought the basic version, I feel the protections of the Adventure version don’t have enough quality.
    In the GSA I had a good experience with Touratech quality and service in Spain so I ordered most of the protections.
    Waiting to the Touratech stuff arrives I put some folder mirrors taken from the GSA and play making a bit of decoration in the front guard and in the exhaust plastic. I don’t like this plastic and the exhaust. Also I made some side tank protections to avoid scratches from my muddy knees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Touratech parts arrived:
    Abs sensors protections

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crash bars

[​IMG]

Bash plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side protections

[​IMG]

Enlarger foot brake lever

[​IMG]

Shaft (cardan) protection (not sure about the name)

[​IMG]

Head pipe protection

[​IMG]

I don’t like much the part under the headlamp, it looks unfinished to me so I make a brico using a Touratech part adding some grill from a kitchen ventilator

[​IMG]

I also have a Yamaha head lamp protection and leds blinkers

[​IMG]

From the GSA I had a Wunderlich levers to adapt the handlebar. Very useful to move the handlebar when you change from road to dirt. Also the Ram Mout to the GPS with Touratech support. And the ABS switch on-off. I don’t understand why Yamaha don’t put this switch in the bike

[​IMG]

Ready to try the modifications.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And they worked :thumb

[​IMG]

After my first serious off road ride I felt the suspensions too soft. I put it in maximum hard an improves a lot. Also it was more difficult to crash in the bash plate.
    I need to improve the ground clearance of this bike.
  3. sscol

sscol Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome post!

I am fine with the Spanglish, keep it coming! :ear
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looks good :thumb

Where did you get the decal for the exhaust cover?

Didn't you convert your bike to dual exhausts; one on each side?
  5. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    The decal was hand made (copy from the World Crosser) :wink:
    Yes I've got the dual exhaust. Just want to have all the transformation in one post and encourage you to show us your off road experiences and modifications. :ear
    So here you are the exhaust evolution:

The Yamaha dealer in my town (Motos Ausió) offered the opportunity to try an Akrapovich.
    It’s better looking, lighter and improves a bit the sound from the OEM one but for its price I don’t see enough advantages. Also it needs all the OEM plastic guards witch I don’t like, especially the black one in back of the left leg witch is very annoying driving standing up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that’s why I decided to try a different way: a dual exhaust.
    The idea was from a local factory: NONE. They make enduro exhaust and other bike components in a very well equipped factory. Great young people.
    Actually they have the prototype to make the pre-production one. Hope in a couple of weeks I can have it to the final test.
    In this thread you have all the evolution, details, sound and power graphics:

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=3791.0

Some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    StanBo likes this.
  6. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice-- That is done right...
  7. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I changed the OEM pegs for some Touratech ones.
    They look very strong and the mud it doesn’t stay under the boots like the Yamaha ones.

[​IMG]

I think the OEM shift lever is too exposed but I couldn’t find a foldable one, so finally I made one.
    I use the standard one and add a Touratech folding ending from a BMW GS.
    It works great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a new rear suspension. Its a new brand called BM Suspension from Belgium and distributed by Mambatec in Spain.
    This is a prototype to test in the ST, I asked them to be able to rise the bike 3,5cm, so if I have a 21” front wheel I can level the bike.
    Wuith it the bike is 2cm higher than with the OEM suspension.
    As you can see in the photos, in the center stand and the BM the rear wheel is in the floor but with the OEM there is a space.
    I also like the look with the back slightly raised.

[​IMG]

With the OEM shock the rear wheel doesn’t touch the ground

[​IMG]

With the Mambatec does

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wasp inspiration... ;)

[​IMG]

With this suspension the bike changes completely due the new geometry and the quality of it. Amazing. In the jumps I dont crash with the bash plate as before, much better!!
  9. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also add the Touratech luggage rack. With it I have a solid big flat surface full of strap holders. It also protect the OEM plastic surface from scratches.
    The rack in the passenger area is very easy to take off if you want to put the passenger seat. Very clever!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm also very pleased with the side tank protectors. With Uni Racing, a decal manufacturer, and my dealer we develop a decal kit. In few weeks they are going to be ready. These are the first prototypes:

[​IMG]
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    sweet setup!
  12. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I filled mine with gas.:dunno:shog

Okay, so I did do a few farkles with ALtrider side bars and skid plate.
    There was another thread about mods somewhere.
  13. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Wow!! You've gone all out to rescue the Spanish economy! :D Very tastefully done! The rear shock looks almost identical to the Wilbers shocks from Germany.

Besides the nice look, is there any real advantage to dual exhausts?
  14. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    A push to the Spanish economy could be welcome but I hope not to fix’ it only by myself. Say is a good reinvestment what I got for my old GSA.

But it's ok, Yamaha offered me the ST at a good price to break the GS monopoly on the trip we do every year (www.transiberica.info), and the manufacturers treat me very well in return for helping them to develop the accessories. Also, I’m enjoying the bike’s development almost as well as riding it.

The rear shock is very similar to the TFX (Technoflex) I had in the GSA, very good quality and plenty of settings. The problem is now I feel the front suspension too soft due to the new geometry and because the rear is harder. So I’m going to install new front springs.

The dual exhaust is the same weight than the stock but better balanced, less exposed to fall, I can avoid the black plastic who annoys when ride standing up, 5 more HP, better sound and look and most important the power comes instantly. In the graphic you can see there is a 5HP gain without the DBkillers comparing the stock (red) and 3HP gain with db killers (blue line). But more important, the power is more constant. With this exhaust the Touring mode is like the Sport, and the Sport is… AMAZING. The engine “breathes” free, (it still have the catalyser), it sounds a bit loud but not terrible (nice sound). With the db killers the sound level is very similar to the Akra and a little louder than the OEM.

[​IMG]

In this graphic is the stock (blue), the Akrapovich (red) and the None (green) without DBkillers.

[​IMG]

The weight of the two bafflers and dual pipes are 5,9kg
    Stock: 5,8kg
    Akrapovich: 4,0 aprox.

I hope they have time to work with the header pipes. They are using a very thin stainless steel so they are pretty sure to reduce some weight and improve performance.

The sound without the DBkillers, a bit loud but nice...

Yamaha Supertenere dual exhaust

And with it

Yamaha Supertenere dual exhaust with db killer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D
    Are you pleased with the Altrider skid plate?
    I'm not happy with the Touratech. After receiving a few hits the front squash the oil filter, also the aluminium is too thin.
    I dind't find the thread you mentioned.
  16. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The S10 has not left the garage since I put it on. It's boating and small trail bike season here.:D

[​IMG]

I can't find that thread on modifications either. I know I posted in it.:dunno

Besides, you've done enough mods for all of us put together.:thumb:D

Edit:

I did find this.....
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545850&highlight=pluric&page=640
  17. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good looking bike! That's quite an angle on the swingarm, so it will be interesting to see how your U-joint and shaft bearings hold up.
  19. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    It worked fine, no problems at all. Also to take the exhaust off it goes all together, very easy.
    This pictures where taken with the first prototype and it was hand made. They are making the pre-production one so I’ll take new pictures when I have it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    StanBo, lrgart and BigMike2009 like this.
  20. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer: