Time for a new chain

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GSFunADV, Feb 15, 2014.

1. GSFunADV

GSFunADV GSFunADV

Oddometer:
    At 18,000 miles my G650 GS needs a chain replacement (red dust coming out of a few links).
    And I have a few questions.

What make chain is a good/best replacement for the OEM chain?

I have heard that if the chain is being replaced that the sprockets should be replaced also. But the sprockets on my bike don't show much discernible wear.
    So should the sprockets still be replaced?

And if the sprockets need replacement. What is a good/best make sprocket?

What is a good source for the chain and/or sprockets?

Thanks Much,
    S.
  2. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sprockets are cheap. Buy new ones. Adjust gearing if you wish, now's the time.

O or X chain, I usually buy here http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/c/583/Drive

Their Primary Drive brand sprockets are fine. Chain is up to you, DID, EK, RK are all fine. Haven't tried Primary Drive chains, might be fine.

Sometime kits with sprockets and chains are available, if what you want, could save $

Clip links are OK with me, install clip with closed side so it pulls towards the C/S sprocket; many prefer rivet. Decide now if you need a chain tool. For clip master links, these are helpful, though not req'd:

[​IMG]
  3. stephen.stallebrass

stephen.stallebrass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the DID ZVMX with gold links. It's recommended to change the chain and sprockets together but it's not absolute. Don't get the OE chain, it's shite.

I've had the Renthal front sprocket, which was pretty good and cheaper than OEM if I recall. I think I had OEM rear sprockets last time from Motorworks.
  4. BossMaverick

BossMaverick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everyone has covered the most important things already, and I'm not sure if this hold true to your GS, but sometimes the factory front sprocket has a rubber ring in it. You might notice a little noise difference if you get a solid metal aftermarket sprocket, but it really makes no operational difference.
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run DID ZVMwhatever and JT steel sprockets on my Tuono and get 30K plus with the caveat the front sprocket gets replaced at 15-16K miles. Current chain has 34K on it and am up in the air about slapping a new front sprocket on and seeing just how far we can go. Use the Dupont teflon stuff from Lowes every other tank of gas or so and rarely clean it.
  6. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too was needing a new chain and thanks to that link above from rocky mountain, I just ordered new sprockets and chain for my '97 Yamaha Seca II.
    Thanks, Tony
  7. JayRitz

JayRitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought chain and sprockets at the end of last year for my BMW F650 last fall off of Amazon. DID chain and JT sprockets. Cost was much cheaper than I expected. There are even sets that that you can buy - just make sure they are specifically for your bike.