What Dual Sport should Honda build next

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by itrack, Oct 12, 2012.

1. singletrackslayer

singletrackslayer Legalize singletrack

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I've only been able to easily pull away from the last dozen or so KTMs ive ridden with(Ive only had it a couple of months). Im only talkin about bikes WITHOUT an unlimited build up budget here. And Im not sure if you payed any attention to the last baja 1000, but i believe honda was almost an hour faster than the closest KTM, sorry.

For comparison, I also own and ride a KTM 380 2ST. The Honda has way more useable power and still nimble enough for 5MOH(look it up).

And yes, this is a Honda thread. :deal Its ok. Im used to people complaining about my bike, but its really hard to hear them when you're out in front! :lol3
  2. Ned1

Ned1 intentionally keeping it unserious

Oddometer:
    Johnny Campbell is here! :rofl

Curious what it took to keep a 450x running for 40k miles. Do tell.
  3. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    40,000 miles divided by 750 hours = 53.33 miles per hour. Maybe it is Johnny, those are Baja numbers.

Either that or he used it for highway commuting. :poser
  4. Ned1

Oddometer:
    Probably loads of slab but no big deal, that's not the point. I got close to 40k on one of my thumpers and I know what I had to do to get there.

I've never heard of anyone riding a 450x that much so this could be very valuable information. :ear
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never had ANY bike go past 25,000 miles without needing the top end freshened. Most more than once.
  6. CuzinMike

CuzinMike Treedragger

Oddometer:
    I only average about 2 posts a year here any more, but I’m thinking that when Honda, or any of the big four introduces another DS thumper, it’ll probably just be a modernized version of bikes like the DRZ, KLX, XRL, etc that we’ve all complained about being too heavy and underpowered since the day they hit the showroom floor.

I believe this because I think Japanese manufacturers are increasingly going to concentrate on world-market bikes, and a high-performance “dirt bike with lights” caters to a miniscule demographic with money to burn that KTM pretty much has covered. Plus, tiered licensing laws in many countries might make any new bike larger than 250cc a tough sell.

While I agree that more choices are always good, it seems KTM, Husqvarna and Beta are already making enough street-legal dirtbikes to satisfy demand. My local Husky dealer is blowing out 2012 TE’s because they don’t sell, and a quick search on Cycle Trader brings up plenty of new KTMs; it’s not like people who want and can afford these types of bikes can’t buy them. If the demand was there for a street-legal CRF450X in the US, Honda would import it. As others have already mentioned, Big Red is all about the dollar signs.

So what will Honda (or Suzuki, Yamaha…) likely do? Engineering a bike that can compete with a 450EXC off road and still freeway commute 5 days a week would be awesome, but it would likely have to sell for over $10K, putting it out of the range of most people’s wallets. Slapping a plate on the current CRF450X (or WR450) and selling it in the states doesn’t make sense either, as they’re both dated designs that would never get past Honda’s lawyers for road riding in this country.

Based on pure conjecture, I think within the next few years Honda, and likely Suzuki will both introduce new thumpers in the 500-650cc range. Both will probably be parts-bin engineered, possibly using existing EFI motors from ATV’s. I imagine wet weight will be in the neighborhood of 330lbs, suspension will be adequate for mild trails, but not serious off-roading. In other words, we’ll get a new XR/DR.

As with every new model, we’ll all complain that they’re too heavy, too underpowered, don’t carry enough fuel, suck at handling the triple-jumps we all do when adventure-touring and are basically inferior in every way to our KTMs, which are just too damn expensive.

But in the end, some of use will still buy them, farkle them, go places on them, have fun and feel lucky that we’re able to do such a thing.
  7. singletrackslayer

Oddometer:
    3 pistons, a timing chain, 4 chain and sproket sets, a set of head bearings, 15(or so) sets of tires, a set of handlebars/risers, 3 air filters, 5 sets of wheel bearings, 4 sets of fork seals, 1 set of swingarm bearings, 2 brake rotors(+5 sets of brake pads), 1 clutch cover, several valve re-shimmings, a new left radiator, put on a hour meter after the 3rd year(400+ hours on it currently, so the total hours are a guess[you've got me there]), 5000 +/- miles a year, got it in 2007, 99% dirt(as much singletrack as possible) use, and if you mean commuting to go do trail work, then yes.

+1 mod or two for the saw rack
    [​IMG]

It only gets used as a saw bike these days . . .
    [​IMG]

So good, I bought another one. With less than 10 hours on it when I got it. Wanna go ride? :lol3
  8. Ned1

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks, that's good to know. No surprises whatsoever.

The terrain looks similar to what I ride up in the BC coast range. Trials bike is the true weapon of choice but run whatya brung.
  9. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey I'm 6'1" and weigh in at 200 very active hit gym weights and cardio in great shape some of us are just good old American farm boys quit hating! Haha just cause your genetically small doesn't mean your Mr in shape! Just sayin lol
  10. singletrackslayer

Oddometer:
    Here! Here! Im a 210# 6'-5" country boy too.
  11. kirbi69

kirbi69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im a 6'1" 200 lbs in shape TEXAS COUNTRY BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  12. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And KTM have won the last 11 Dakars, but those race results don't mean the Honda you ride is better or worse than a KTM. The factory race bikes are a different beast to what we are riding.

Just about all the brands of enduro race bikes are pretty close in performance, most of the difference comes from the set up and rider.
  13. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    But Japan hasn't put out an enduro race bike since......the XRR?

That's not even correct. I don't think Japan has ever put out an enduro "race" bike.
  14. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you guys in the USA get the CRF450R? Or just the X?

I mean bikes like that or the WR450F as opposed to a dual sport.

You may not call them enduro race bikes but these are the bikes people race enduros on, what else would you call them?
  15. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    So for you and singletrackslayer.......... So do you think most American riders are in better shape than the grossly fat general public? For your sizes/height you seem to be keeping pretty fit. You seem to be agreeing with me. We probably have very similar BMIs. Bugs me to hear guys my height (5-10) blame their bike for overall weight problems when they are 40-50 lbs overweight themselves:eek1. I am going to assume that is tongue in cheek humor.
  16. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what OTG is talking about because all four Japanese companies have sold enduro versions of their 450 motocross bikes. The green and yellow ones haven't been in the USA line up for a couple of years. But the dinosaur XRR was hardly the last Japanese enduro and offroad race bike from Japan. Honda won a couple of national enduros on the 450 X last year.
  17. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    When someone says "enduro", I think "street plated".
  18. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right got ya.

That's actually another crazy thing, here in Australia all those Japanese enduro bikes (CRF, WRF etc) can be plated, bar the Suzuki (RMX-Z). You'd think in a huge market like America they would make them able to be plated.
  19. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep just a Lil humor I agree most Americans are fat and lazy
  20. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Get with the times man. "Enduro" hasn't meant "street plated" since the 70's man. The term today is "Dual Sport" or "Dual Purpose". KTM & Husqvarna both offer some great "Enduro" bikes that are plated but, they aren't true D.S. or D.P. bikes any more than a multi-cylinder "adventure" bike is.