Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    I just pre-Order a season pass for DeerValley (Utah) mountain "Ski"/Lift mountain bike season for $290

Perfect opportunity to dust off all my Balfa's and maybe even the Nicolai (I never been there during the summer, so maybe the M-pire is "To Much" for the runs) and a great opportunity to test the "All you can eat" abilities of the santa cruz Nomad too :ricky
  2. Ms. Nashville

Ms. Nashville Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you're right. everytime i'm out on the trail, i regrease all the bearings afterwards. Every 5 days of racing my fork gets a service.
    Dh bikes need to be treated like factory-mx-machines.

And in additon, these bikes are so overbuild, stable, that it's nearly impossible to break the frame.
    But i might add, that DH is expensive, in general. Spareparts are expensive. Shutteling the bikes up the hill is expensive. Pretty sad, but the fun's worth the expens :evil
  3. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    The way I see it...:D

I will never be able to afford a 900RR/HPN "GS" Dakar bike, One because they cost a shitload of money, second because they will not sell them to you even if you have the casholla, So a really high end "Anything bicycle" is the second best thing (If you want to compare them to motorcycles), and Then Downhill bikes have "No Bullshit" tolerance because is no marketing machinery that is going to prevent you from breaking a frame in half, Yes most cheapo company's just over-build them to keep the cheap but the really hard core ones are always searching how to make them work better, more bulletproof (G-boxx bike for example) and last longer.

Hell ONE HOPE six piston brake caliper (One of the best brakes in the market) cost $350 with a "Floating rotor" so just keep counting, $100 for a king headset, $70 for a strong seat post.... well you get the idea.:eek1
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    So this lady comes in and finishes paying for her Xenith T2. Dropped ANOTHER $6788 on top of her deposit.

:eek1

M
  5. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    and made it a full 31 miles of hills without breaking again

Functionally Fugly...

[​IMG]

Repaired joint

[​IMG]

Repaired chain stay

[​IMG]
  6. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Yes and No, In like I ride it like a "PussyGuss", Many years ago I was pretty fast and strong and I even represent the country I grow up in some "world cUp" races, So years later I decide to get back into the sport by purchasing really fancy equipment (Mid life crisis I guess) to overcome all the years of not racing, Well it did not work out I just don't have the balls and or the skills anymore (In fact I don't think I ever did, to ride they way they are suppose to be ridden this days)

To compare to motorcycle terms racing downhill full speed is like doing the Enduro of Elzeberg, nothing less, Is a big deal
    I drop off the Knowledge pool about 3 years ago, I just got to frustrated about been so slow, skill-less and scare (I still ride a lot, do drops, etc, but don't jump of Houses or clear 10meter gaps)
  7. mgorman

Oddometer:
    I have a bunch of retro Junk, if any one needs any. I have some 8 speed stuff like XT rapidfire shifter pods, DX V-brakes in bright red and two 2 finger DX red levers (both rights), Plenty of 1" & 1-1/8" quill stems, 8 speed bar end shifters, cassettes, rock ring for a 48 tooth sprocket 110 bolt (road compact or old school mtb) A bunch of old 8 speed grip shifters, 4 pairs of Suntour Symetric Down Tube Shifters for a steel frame, 8 speed Campy shifters (one record, one chorus). Campy 9 speed cassettes and one campy square taper BB. A pair of the original Shimano mtb spd's that seem to use a slightly different cleat. Girvin Vector 2 fork 1-1/8" Girvin quill flex stem and some more misc junk.

Newer...

Bontrager 175mm 4 bolt single speed crank (and I think BB) barely used.
    1-1/8" suspension corrected rigid fork for 26", disc brake only.
    Saint rapid rise rear derailer

If you are interested in anything, send me a pm
  8. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    I will like your 8speed rapidfire's, how much do you want for them....:eek1
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like what was said above, they usually are pretty well maintained. Although I have seen a few that were totally beat.

In motorcycle terms, a new dirtbike is about $6000, I figure a comparable MTB is about $750. Think about all the stuff you have to change to even be able to ride a dirt bike in the woods, you would have to do about the same to a $750 MTB. Dirt bikes come setup pretty well from the factory but I put about another $3k in my bike before I even take it into the woods (skid plates, rad gurads, handle bars, bark busters, tune the carb and remove useless smog crap, get the suspension setup to my weight, etc...). To take a dirt bike to Pro level, they dump about $10-20,000 in the suspension and probaly about the same amount in the motor. So figure a pro level morotcycle runs about $30-50,000.
    Most pro MTB XC rides cost about $4-8,000. DH rigs are about $5-10,000 for a pro level ride. .
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Did you propose?:raabia
    :rofl
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I did actually. Right after her husband left.

Not only rides, but loves to cook as well.

:raabia

M
  12. mgorman

Oddometer:
    Got lucky today (no not that gutter minds). My seat post slipped down on a cub ride so I worked my tool out while pedaling to adjust at the next stop sign. Moved the post back up and oops... The bolt stripped. It felt snug enough but fell on the 1st bump. The luck part? I had a habit of breaking the heads off the top of my seat posts so I had a hose clamp around the top of the post to keep it from splitting and impaling me. That and I had used another hose clamp to fasten an old broken seat bag to the rails. Between the 2 clamps, I was able to keep my seat up and make the 20 miles home.
  13. Oznerol

Oznerol Motion Enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pulled my mountain bike out of storage this evening; If the forecast for tomorrow is accurate, I should be getting in my first ride on dirt for the year.
  14. mgorman

Oddometer:
    Our forecast is SOS, Rain
  15. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Did 60 miles today & that was too much of a jump in mileage from the 26 last weekend. Relearned a few lessons from my cycling past and will apply those moving forward.

It was a spectacular day here in AZ - nice and cool in the morning and the temps didn't rise above 80 or so.
  16. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a very wet and muddy and fun mountain bike ride in the rain. Only 6-8 miles I think, and just under an hour. Which was enough, for today.

I think I'm going to go 1x9 for my drivetrain, so I only used middle ring, to make sure I'm not crazy to do this. Seems like it should work out- I'll suffer a bit on hills occasionally, but it'll be great 95% of the time.
  17. mgorman

Oddometer:
    I thought about making my Paragon a 1x9 using a 32 front and a 12/23 rear with a road derailer since my SS Mtb is a 32 x 21

btw, the SS XO1 cross bike I built back up has a 38/16 and that allows me to cruise at 20 with spurts up to 24-25 and still climb pretty good.
  18. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but I'm a weakling. 32/32 or 32/34 skirts along blowing up my knees territory for me. Maybe this year I'll get strong enough to think about SS, but I'm not betting on it.
  19. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    Did a nice slow 28mi in 1:51 today. felt good, The guy I was riding with blew the crap out of an old Mich pro ll right in front of me scared the crap out of me. not only did sound like rifle shot, I was right on his wheel, when he flatted. No face plant,did hit brakes though.
  20. elchulopadre

elchulopadre Hairodynamic

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Just got home from a great day of racing! I did the Miami International Triathlon, which is the first official race of the 5150* series
    (*5150? 5i50? I'm still not sure how to spell or pronounce this newfangled WTC name for an Olympic-distance tri).

So my day started out with a shot of adrenaline. I somehow managed to sleep through my TWO alarms, and woke up a mere hour before the race start. Fortunately I wasn't far from the site - but after navigating around the closed-off streets and finding a parking spot, I made it to transition juuuuuuust as they were closing. They let me in - lucky me. Fortunately, I had my stuff 'pre-laid-out' in my bag - packed in such a way that it'd be quick to take out in the right order. I dashed off to pick up my chip, and made it to the start line just as the first wave hit the water. I was in the third or fourth... whew!

The swim itself was pretty good - wet start, which is always fun, and the single-lap layout let me settle into my pace with minimal swim-jitsu once I got past the first buoy. The water was fine - low 70s, cool enough to be wetsuit-legal but warm enough that I didn't miss mine (which is currently a few thousand miles away). Nothing to report, really, other than the fact that I swam a lot straighter than usual, and that my first tri of the season reminded me what it feels like to have a noggin full of foot. Anyway. The swim went well, and I made my way around the course without too much trouble. There was a staircase out of the water, which was pretty painless to deal with, and the run back to transition was short and smooth.

While I am the proud owner of a Speed Concept 9-series, it, too, is a few thousand miles away. So I reached the conclusion that a heavy, steel, round-tubed fixie with a Brooks saddle is a better choice than a carbon superbike that's lighter AND more aero, if the fixie can make it to the race on a bike rack and the tri bike requires air travel. :D

So, off I went on the less-than-smooth roads of downtown Miami, enjoying my 48-16 gearing (not like I had a choice, mind you) - right until we turned into the breeze and straight at a bridge. MAN did that first bridge suck - but I mashed my way up at around a cadence of 2, and before too long I was over the hump, staring downhill and getting my legs ready to redline. Or not - I sorta cheated and had my flipflop hub flopped onto the freewheel side. But anyway. As I cruised down the bridge, I reached down to take a nice cold sip of.... wha? Where'd it...? Oh you idiot! In the rush to make it to the start line, I'd managed to leave my nice, cold gatorade in the transition bag (and therefore not in the bottle cage, where I'd hoped to find it).

Not to worry - I train mostly in hot climes, and dehydration is my middle name. So I kept spinning along, getting chicked repeatedly but remaining firmly in the lead of the 'leather parts on bike' division. Actually, I don't recommend it. My saddle didn't seem to enjoy 40k under a seawater-soaked chamois... My guess is I didn't kill it, but I know for a fact that I didn't make it stronger.

Anyway - two laps later, I pulled into T2, just about desperate for a sip of gatorade. I just stood there by my bike, chugging that stuff before even thinking about changing shoes or unclipping my helmet (that said, it's amazing how drinkable it is when you're really really thirsty). Lid off, running shoes on, racebelt in-hand, and off I went. And just as I pulled out, the elites were pulling in. I mean, I have no aspiration to be in the same lap as these guys - but can I at least start running before you guys finish? Pretty please? Just start a line directly in front of the finish line (don't cut!) and wait until I exit T2. Then you can all take turns crossing the finish line in all sorts of victorious poses, fresh as cucumbers. It's a win-win for everyone, really).

The run course wasn't too bad, actually. Not the shadiest or prettiest (running through a shopping mall?), but the course pretty much bordered the bay most of the way. Maybe it's me, but I always enjoy running along any body of water. So no complaints there - although the course wasn't 'destination-race beautiful', it wasn't a bad place to get chicked some more.

The food tent went beyond the usual bananas and bagels. In addition to the usual stuff, we had rice, beans and plantains. Not too shabby! They had tables under a tent, and I sat down across from none other than Amanda Felder! She's very friendly, and we chatted about her career and the future of the sport. She's off to Lima, Peru in a few weeks. One of the things I love about this sport is that pros are super approachable and happy to chat to us n00bs.

The race support was great - lots of people at all the water tables, plenty of water/sports drink, and a good dose of enthusiasm. The RDs and the volunteers did great with this one. Thanks, guys!

I still don't have my official times, but I finished in 2h33m - good enough for 2nd place in the Clydesdale <39 division! Woohoo! That means I now have $400 to spend on an alarm clock, as well as a spot in the 5i50/5150/whatever US Championship in Des Moines!!! :D

Full results to follow.