Recommend a sleeping pad that is comfortable, warm, and packable

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by cdogg44, Nov 5, 2012.

1. cdogg44

cdogg44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a good sleeping pad that is comfortable, warm, and packable (in that order).

Nobody local to me carries Thermarest pads, but I ran across some in Cabelas this weekend. I am 6' 2" and prefer plenty of room to sleep. I am looking for one to take hunting and car camping first, but with the ability to pack down small enough to throw on the bike should I ever need to. I am NOT a 1" pad type of guy, I like the 2.5"-3" pads and am willing to sacrifice the size and weight since I'm not a backpacker. I was very surprised to find the NeoAir XLite more comfortable than the Basecamp XL, and it packs down to 1/10th the size, but am concerned about the NeoAire durability over the long term.

I've been using the $15 Wal Mart inflatable twin mattresses for years, and while they can be comfy, they are HUGE, heavy, and only last 1-2 seasons. I'm looking to go with an insulated pad after freezing to death on the last trip on a Wal Mart mattress. It was my first trip with a new GoLite down sleeping bag (minimal insulation underneath compared to my old monster 1980's synthetic bag) and I was cold on the bottom all night long.

Money matters, but not if it's going to work perfect for my needs and last 10 years.

Thanks
  2. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    I use two pads - a Ridge Rest closed cell pad and a Thermarest inflating pad. The Ridge Rest is immune to punctures, hot stoves, hot exhaust, crampon points, ice axes, briars, sharp sticks and near anything else you can throw it at. This pad goes on the bottom. On top goes my Thermarest - its somewhat more fragile, but is also nicer to sleep on.
    I use this combo for all my camping trips - I roll the Thermarest first, and then roll that in the Ridge Rest. The bundle fits fine on the GSs pillion and makes a good backrest.
  3. SkidmarkSteve

SkidmarkSteve Never say die

Oddometer:
    Check this link. I own the Synmat 7 and it is all the three things you mentioned. If I had it to do over again, I would opt for the Downmat 7 since I do more moto camping than backpacking these days.

Also see Nemo Equipment, who also makes really nice gear.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=Exped+mattresses
  4. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    I've gone through a lot of pads and combo's of pads and cots and my Downmat 9 half inflated is the best so far.
  5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    big agnes has an insulated air matteress rolls to a bit bigger then a thermos,can get it in several widths and lengths,thicknesses.
  6. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    :thumb What he said.

Avoid Thermarest's neo air. It's noisy. Literally.

:1drink
  7. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As already mentioned,either Exped or Big Agnes inflatable insulated pads.
    I have both,with slight preference for the Exped.

JR356
  8. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage

Oddometer:
  9. absoluteclint

absoluteclint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Big Agnes and have been really happy with it... Taken on numerous backpacking trips (no motorcycle trips yet). I've had the Big Agnes for about two years now... No leaks... Very tough construction.

I'd say the perfect setup would be (as already mentioned) a Ridge Rest style pad for the bottom and Big Agnes for the top. Having the Ridge Rest makes for a good camp seat and backup pad should the Big Agnes get punctured.

Big Agnes' biggest advantage is size... packs to the size of a Nalgene bottle (32 ounces). It is also really comfortable although it can be noisy and somewhat difficult to stay positioned on it throughout the night (slick). It's biggest downside is risk for punctures... although this has yet to be a problem for me.
  10. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had a BA for going on 6 years now. It's been used on dirt, gravel, picnic tables and just about every other place. I'm surprised it hasn't leaked yet. Yes it is noisy. I used to have trouble with it staying under me until I realised I was inflating it too much. Since then it's not been a problem.
  11. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Exped Synmat 9....can't beat it.
  12. absoluteclint

absoluteclint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are correct. I should have mentioned that I too learned early on to not inflate it to it's max... I usually only fill it about halfway... Maybe about 20-25 breaths when inflating. It really is a good sleeping pad.
  13. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the REI Camp Bed 2.5 XL. It's kinda big but I tend to roll in my sleep and the regular width pads I would roll off of at night.

It packs kind of big but always gives me a good nights sleep. I've had people laugh at the size on the bike but shrug. On a 4 week trip with a about 15-20 days of camping in there it held up fine and was comfortable not to mention a good night's sleep makes it easier to deal with whatever comes up during the day.

On the bike (the wide thing on the back).
    [​IMG]

You can kind of see it in the tent under the sleeping bag.
    [​IMG]
  14. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use theExped Symat 9 (the model used to be called "deluxe" and is more than big enough for big guys like us. (I'm 6'2" and around 240 to 250 lbs.) I sleep on my sides and this mattresses perfect for doing so.

I use a Wiggy set of rectangular bags that zip together to give different temperature ranges. Super comfy and very warm.

..Tom
  15. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the insulated BA. Packs small for bike camping. Mine did leak after about 4 years. Called BA up and they sent me a new one at no cost.

Can't beat that.
  16. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't say enough good things about this mat. I love it! :thumb
  17. Abrupt Edge

Abrupt Edge Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Synmat 9
  18. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1.

I'm 6'2" and 260 lbs., and the Exped is the most comfortable way to spend a night on the hard, cold ground. Packs pretty small, too, considering it's comfort level.
  19. cdogg44

cdogg44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'm leaving on a hunting trip Thursday night and just placed an order for an Exped Synmat 9.

I looked at the Downmat as well, but Amazon had the Synmat for a steal at $135 and my Prime membership would get it here Wednesday for free. I really couldn't tell much of a difference between the down and the synthetic, and read a lot of online reviews of both to compare. The Synmat should do me fine and leave some money in the bank as well.
  20. wncrider

wncrider nOOb in post count only

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Exped. In my old age, the joints were not letting me sleep too well on the old Thermarest from my backpacking equipment. Switched to an Exped Downmat 7 and immediately started sleeping much better! Quality product.:thumb

Packs down enough to go into my waterproof duffle with the sleeping bag too!